I won’t
65%
Undecided
20%

Total votes: 66
RIP

Re: If we close up for a bit...

Post by RIP »

Yep, reckon that's the conclusion we came to.

Doesn't stop some of us burbling on about it though as if we had nowt better to do :grin: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

PS. I've nowt better to do.

PPS. Until she tells me I have.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

RIP

Post by RIP »

Just re-reading that. "If you rode and slept overnight somewhere where you know no-one would be aware and/or you knew the landowner didn't mind, there's less of an issue." - but isn't that the sum total of what we always do? So it's not really "less" of an issue than the "being seen doing it"? It's just as "bad" at the moment.

Displaying "bikepacking" bags probably isn't a problem - doubt that many Normals would know what they were! I have my seatpack on all the time for my "daily exercise" and it's caused no comment or looks. So it's the stopping and bivvying part. But however covertly you do it, our consensus seems to be "no rush just yet", for the reasons you mentioned. And also because we have to "return home at night".

benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

Indeed bikepacking bags do not exclusively carry dossing kit. I always use mine for essential shopping trips.

On my assorted feed of news articles I saw a headline "Covidiot campers fined for boozy getaway as tents found at UK beauty spot". Covidiot campers fined for boozy getaway as tents found at UK beauty spot"

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest ... urce=upday

It is embarrassingly from the Daily Star which keeps trying to bombard me with irrelevant celebs in bikinis and I have failed to block, guess I have tilted the algorithm by clicking through this link and will be haunted by even more newsworthy clevage as a result.

Yes they are a group of more than household plus one, yes they are in also boozing, yes they were not well hidden, yes they lit a campfire, but they are painted with the wild camping brush.

If it was as simple as pay the X charge to wild camp then I probably would cough up, but it's the perception of others that keeps me away.

From an understanding of how this airborne virus spreads, how effective UV is at killing it, how unlikely I would be to see anyone, the significant personal benefit it would give me, it lands on the reward side of risk/reward. However, other people are stupid, to lots of people I am that other person and I don't want to be stupid.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Re risk/reward, the interesting decision time will be when it's announced that we're "allowed" to "stay away from home overnight". Would I then immediately leap on a train to Wales and enjoy a bivvy out? Quite likely. But of course the virus ain't going away any time soon, if ever. Even the Black Death, which bumped off half of Europe, is still around after 700 years, certainly in parts of Africa. Maybe we keep washing our hands (in streams & cowsh puddles), maybe stick a mask on, and then "You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?’.

Dougy is a bikepacker he'll not be beat, so the game goes on....
Last edited by RIP on Sun May 17, 2020 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Agree with you RIP. I actually came to this thread to post about the Wales First Minister's latest announcement. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-pol ... ting-story

It hints at years and a cautious approach. He suggests Wales will still be in the Red zone at the end of the current 3 weeks (so another 3 weeks in red, before moving to amber?). Schools would re-open in green and they hope to open schools before summer break (July). Green still requires social distancing etc and it suggests Wales will be 3 or 4 weeks behind England.

It's fairly clear that there'll be no gatherings/events this year, at least in Wales.

Knackers.
RIP

Post by RIP »

boxelder wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:44 pm
It's fairly clear that there'll be no gatherings/events this year, at least in Wales.
Blimmin' better had be - I'm forking over fifty quid for a jersey specially to flaunt at the WRT!

If the schools have gone back by summer, they must think that a yard full of some smelly bikepackers would be OK. Even when we're out there riding no sane Normal person would get within a mile of us.

ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

boxelder wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:54 pm Would you not agree that not going bike packing at the moment is more about causing people anxiety? Whatever the legal basis, there'll be loads of folk will get wound up by seeing you (sod 'em, some will say). It would probably damage the public perception of 'us' (we'll all be seen through the same filter). Others may see you doing it (in your very considered, risk averse and sensible way) and justify packing the car with disposable tent and barbecue - "because he/she was doing it"
I agree with all of that.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

RIP wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 6:59 pm If the schools have gone back by summer, they must think that a yard full of some smelly bikepackers would be OK.
Not gonna happen.

I've written off any chance of events/mass gatherings this year. I'll be happy if we're allowed to meet a few mates for a beer.

Talking of which, we now have a local beerienteering group
RIP

Post by RIP »

Shame. Great memories of being in exactly that lovely remote spot with MaM, Pickers & Psling last year - admittedly soaked to the skin. And on the Winter Event come to think of it, equally soaked.

"Wildfires have increased in Wales during the lockdown period, firefighters have said.
According to Mid and West Wales Fire Service, there have been more than 1,000 across Wales in the past eight weeks.
Grass fires in the service's area have increased by 24% during lockdown compared to 2019, it said.
Crews are currently tackling a large wildfire at the Artists Valley near Furnace, Ceredigion.
The fire, near Llyn Conach, has been burning since Sunday, putting huge strain on fire services in the area.
Evidence suggests it was started deliberately by people camping in the woods despite lockdown restrictions".

Having a fire in the middle of a forest, what could possibly go wrong. Idiots. Quite challenging getting appliances to that area.

Wildcamping.... naughty.... drip drip....

Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I'm hoping the Queen in the North will relax things up here in Scotland from next week (she's been hinting as much) but I don't think camping/bivvying will be given the green light for a while yet. It'd be nice to be able to ride with a socially distanced friend though and driving somewhere new to ride (not necessarily far away) would make a pleasant change. There's clear evidence that people are just ignoring the rules now, I just sauntered into town to do the shopping and there were a group of ageing mods chatting at the side of the road, eating sandwiches while admiring each other's scooters (obviously out for a rideout together). I think the First Minister knows she's fighting a losing battle now and needs to throw us plebs a bone to keep us subdued (relatively speaking).
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

boxelder wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 4:54 pm Would you not agree that not going bike packing at the moment is more about causing people anxiety? Whatever the legal basis, there'll be loads of folk will get wound up by seeing you (sod 'em, some will say). It would probably damage the public perception of 'us' (we'll all be seen through the same filter). Others may see you doing it (in your very considered, risk averse and sensible way) and justify packing the car with disposable tent and barbecue - "because he/she was doing it"
On the Ride Your Way Thing weekend we didn't bother with bikepacking bags for precisely this reason. If we had, we could have had cuddly toys in them for all anyone would know and without them stopping us and asking to look they'd possibly think we'd have biking/camping "stuff" in there.

Then again, given that half our grid refs weren't legally accessible by bike anyway :lol:

As for wildfires - there's been a lot fewer this spring round us despite it being bone dry, seen just one. There's been none further south around where my inlaws live and they had several last year.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
FLV

Post by FLV »

It's all a bit of moot point round our way now anyway. Rightly or wrongly...

Lots of groups of clearly mixed family's out and about picnicking, swimming in the reservoirs strolling around the tracks and trails. Loads of groups of yoof's out doing similar or hanging around together on the parks.
Motorcyclists relaxing together on the seating areas outside the closed cafe's or pubs they would have been spending money in.
Ramblers in groups on the hills, mtb'er the same. Roadies riding together.
Carparks and laybys rammed full.

The only social distancing is getting into the shops, no one seems to care once they're actually in the shops.

Discounting the actual spread of C19 due to the above, the next biggest effect of what is left of the lockdown would appear to be the loss of income for businesses. The customers are there, doing as they would normally do except for bringing their own stuff from Tesco etc.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Not quite as bad here Dave but we're still meant to be under full lock-down but certainly quite different to how things were a couple of weeks ago. I'm sure that for much of the nation, it's diluted beyond purpose. It did make me laugh how some of the people who raced to their holiday homes here a few weeks ago suddenly vanished when restrictions were eased in England.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Very little change here. Still quiet.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

round my way its pretty mixed - though i have yet to venture to the park in peak times when its hot - we go late or early to play footy and still quiet
Riding 95 % of my human contact occurs when the following conditions are met [ and its wrose when its more than one of them]

1) warm
2) car park near by
3) water
So today I did 50 ish mles off road and 95% of the folk i saw were in a 1/2 mile stretch
Certainly see mixed groups of yoofs and MTBers [and simply those who own a bike] and " very large family units" together. I have not seen a flock of ramblers but i am actually [ largely] sticking to BW as they are miles wider and I am avoiding all singletrack as you cannot distance.

99.99% of those I meet will attempt to distance in a polite and orderly fashion -those on ebikes seem the worst for not doing this [ and in one instance i had to explain they were nothing to do with me and i agreed they were [ expletives go here]
jameso

Post by jameso »

Seeing UK riders on social media doing overnighters, so if anyone really wanted to do a sensible, discreet and safe trip out - you won't be the first. And if you don't post it on SM no-one will know..

(there's a 'you must return home' guideline, I know)
Last edited by jameso on Thu May 21, 2020 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Saw plenty of groups out this weekend.

Had our first family trip in the car since lockdown to the forest 10 miles away.

Arrived early and left early too :lol:

Saw a group of 10 mountain bikers together...
Plenty of 2x dads taking two families out for bike rides

Etc etc.

Also popped back on Tuesday night for a ride, all the way through the winter it’s just been me and maybe one other car, the car park was heaving!! Busiest I’ve seen it in the evening for the 15 or so years I’ve been going.

Thankfully the harder to find singletrack was still quiet :-bd
bluebus200

Post by bluebus200 »

Lazarus wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:13 pm Personally I will think of the greater good here and take the inconvenience in the hope that it saves lives and that is way more important than a few extra nights bivvying
This will almost certainly be the minority view and this is why the virus will continue to spread. Even at the risk of death some will still value their hobby more than society/others. Its really not the time for individualism and travel and the hils are not going anywhere.

I suspect your more likely to spread it by making more trips to the shop than you need too.Sleeping next to some trees in the middle of nowhere where is going to spread nothing. 17% infection rate in London 5% outside of London. I don't think it's about being an 'individual' I think its is about applying logic. Personally imwould rather everyone was out camping than wandering around Tesco's fondling the cheesecakes.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I solemnly swear to refrain from fondling any cheesecakes.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I suspect your more likely to spread it by making more trips to the shop than you need too
I think we all realise shopping is the most dangerous thing we do* and almost anything you can think of is more phsyically distant than that simply because its outside with fewer people.
I have managed to get to the point where i can do an all you can carry shop with ruck sack last for 11 days - no idea what other have been doing .I have considered home shopping but feel it better to leave to those who need it most.

* I bumped into friends i have not seen since lockdown yesterday - i was cycling they were walking and they invited me round for a brew in their garden and we all agreed it was safer than shopping - I declined but more due to hunger than risk as i am sure we were correct. I am sure plenty of others think this whilst doing the things the majority think are irresponsible
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I think we all realise shopping is the most dangerous thing we do*
The most dangerous thing I do is share a house with my wife. We acknowledged very early on that she was by far the most likely source of any infection into our household.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Finding it slightly ironic that many Here seem to be restraining ourselves and staying IN even though we want to go OUT to get AWAY from crowds, whereas plenty of Normals are not staying IN but going OUT to get much NEARER to crowds :???:

Sarfend beach Wednesday:

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sarfend beach Wednesday:
Honestly, it looked like that?

Amazing to think the coppers here are patrolling Hafren forest for a crowd of one - me.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

Photo on t'Beeb site. I wasn't there personally :wink: . Now, being our illustrious Press, it might be an 800mm lens to accentuate the situation but it still looks pretty wedged to me. I'm sure I can see a tarp in there actually. Maybe a lone BP-er kipped out alone on the beach the previous night then woke up to see half of Essex outside next morning :lol: .

If it was just you and lots of polisïau in Hafren that would make you the best bodyguarded person in Wales and nobody would be nicking your bike :smile: .