Total votes: 66
PaulB2

Re: If we close up for a bit...

Post by PaulB2 »

Gluttony is definitely one of mine at the moment
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Do what I did - cycle to local (empty) woodland as part of hour or so daily constitutional, sit in the woodland for a bit and contemplate the joy that is a woodland, go home, bivvy in back garden :-bd
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Good call. ^^^
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Change in the OP graph over the last 2 weeks then:

faustus

Post by faustus »

I paused at a tiny local nature reserve on my daily ride, and listened to the birdsong, which was loud and varied. It was lovely.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I hear a lot more birds than usual.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Yeah, thankfully with fewer cars there seem to have been more birds.

Can't speak to the local wildlife though, not been out. :|
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

There's local wildlife turned up in my kitchen, a cheeky mouse keeps
Appearing, bloody cats need to get to work, wondering if there's slim
pickings in people's gardens and it's hungry ?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Even in the middle of Rothiemurchus or Glenmore forests there's a noticeable reduction in background noise. Some of that will be traffic hum from the A9, even though that's a few miles away. Some if that will be less forestry work and some is just there being fewer people about. All of that means that birdsong is more noticeable too.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Yep, the silence is almost palpable at times. It's a nice by-product (like the lower air pollution etc) of the shutdown. Though of course the whole situation is rather grim.

Was interesting to read this:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... s-lockdown

I rode out on Monday night to find most of the local car parks at a Country Park and even the local town park had been cordoned off. TBH I think it's a bit of an over-reaction as with the existing restrictions they were all incredibly quiet anyway. Hey ho, maybe things will get a bit more sensible as everyone, including authorities and enforcement, find their feet :ugeek:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Pretty noisy this AM outside our bedroom - a mixture of Blue Tits, Goldfinches and Curlews!

Just been chatting to one of our neighbours, as we were talking he pointed and said "fox!". Sure enough trotting across one of the fields just behind me was a fox. Unusual to see them in the open during daylight.

I did have a thought during yesterday's government mandated single unit of exercise that this level of quiet in the countryside would have been something that my father and grandfather would have taken for granted when they worked out in the fields. The nearest main road to us is about a mile away and we only hear the traffic hum if there's particular atmospheric conditions but even so things have just been quiet.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Fascinating (lord I really am rather dull :lol:) bit of information:

https://www.stjohnschambers.co.uk/wp-co ... z3dy6lD_-I

Good words (IMO):
Conclusion

If the nation is going to be kept at home for three months or more, the need for it to exercise,
both for our collective physical and mental health becomes all the more important. The public
should act sensibly, and follow guidance, directions and advice; local authorities should
ensure that sufficient facilities are available for proper recreation to take place, and should
publicise those facilities and locations, and any restrictions that apply to them.
From link here (IPROW Facebook page):

https://www.facebook.com/IPROWuk/?__tn_ ... ynCzcB60Ve
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Escape Goat wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:47 am I hear a lot more birds than usual.
Mating season.

Here, it's as calm as usual. Given that many are now driving the car rather than using public transport, the noise from traffic has hardly changed and birds have been noticeable as always. I bet though in cities it's very different.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I ventured to Llani' for some shopping and to use the post office and it was far quieter than normal and much quieter than a week ago.

Birds? Not noticed any more than usual really. The Grey Wagtails have just turned up, the longtailed tits are eating me out of nuts and there's a row brewing between some Fly catchers and Blue tits as to who's having the nesting spot in the eves of my workshop. The Dippers couldn't give a toss and are happily doing their thing down by the river. :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Seems like everything's getting a bit quieter, and it's allowing us to hear what's previously been drowned out.
https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-020-00965-x

See also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGSKrC7dGcY
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:07 pm The Dippers couldn't give a toss and are happily doing their thing down by the river. :-bd
Strangely, despite loving birds of prey, Dippers are my favourite bird. None around me for obvious reasons, always a sign I'm somewhere good when I see Dippers.

More birdsong noticeable where I am as well. Did 2 night rides last week, absolutely loads of foxes out and about. Definitely more than usual
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

In an effort to kill several birds with one stone, MrsPB and I have spent the last 2 weeks cutting and clearing trees and undergrowth from our land. This has had 4 positive results,
1) it's bloody hard physical work so keeping us fit albeit using different muscles than cycling
2) the land hasn't looked as good for about 30 years, the previous owners weren't into hard work, more gardening and drinking.
3)many of the older olive trees have been turned into logs for the wood burner which gets about 2-3 months use a year, sorry Gairy. :sad:
4)we've made quite a nice running/mtb circuit through the almond trees, up and down the walled terraces and through the remaining olive grove. Mrs PB ran a lap yesterday with her Garmin and measured it as 2.5km. Not sure if such exercising on your own land is allowed but we're not visible from the road so it would take a specific visit from the Agents Rurals to find us.
Of course there is the moral question of whether we could be risking tying up the health services if we had an accident doing this but I can live with that.
Greetings from Cataluña, keep safe.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Looking smart Duncan, there’s definitely worse places to be isolated.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:07 pm I ventured to Llani' for some shopping and to use the post office and it was far quieter than normal and much quieter than a week ago.

Birds? Not noticed any more than usual really. The Grey Wagtails have just turned up, the longtailed tits are eating me out of nuts and there's a row brewing between some Fly catchers and Blue tits as to who's having the nesting spot in the eves of my workshop. The Dippers couldn't give a toss and are happily doing their thing down by the river. :-bd
Sounds better than our seagulls banging out their mating dances on my roof and generally screaming their t1ts off at every opportunity.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Interesting study on the distances required when exercising... with cycling looking like needing at least 10 meters space. No roadie drafting for you!

In a lot of countries walking, biking and jogging are welcome activities in these times of COVID-19. However, it is important to note that you need to avoid each other's slipstream when doing these activities. This comes out of the result of a study by the KU Leuven (Belgium) and TU Eindhoven (Netherlands).

The typical social distancing rule which many countries apply between 1–2 meters seems effective when you are standing still inside or even outside with low wind. But when you go for a walk, run or bike ride you better be more careful. When someone during a run breathes, sneezes or coughs, those particles stay behind in the air. The person running behind you in the so-called slip-stream goes through this cloud of droplets.

The researchers came to this conclusion by simulating the occurrence of saliva particles of persons during movement (walking and running) and this from different positions (next to each other, diagonally behind each other and directly behind each other). Normally this type of modelling is used to improve the performance level of athletes as staying in each other air-stream is very effective. But when looking at COVID-19 the recommendation is to stay out of the slipstream according to the research.

The results of the test are made visible in a number of animations and visuals. The cloud of droplets left behind by a person is clearly visible. “People who sneeze or cough spread droplets with a bigger force, but also people who just breathe will leave particles behind”. The red dots on the image represent the biggest particles. These create the highest chance of contamination but also fall down faster. “But when running through that cloud they still can land on your clothing” according to Professor Bert Blocken.
For running and slow biking it should be 10 meters and for hard biking at least 20 meters.
Also, when passing someone it is advised to already be in different lane at a considerable distance e.g. 20 meters for biking
https://medium.com/@jurgenthoelen/belgi ... df19c77d08
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Surely everyone here will be at the front? :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:14 pm Surely everyone here will be at the front? :wink:
I would be now! :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Richard G

Post by Richard G »

In light of the research posted above, those Scottish MTB guidelines aren't enough. 10 meters is suggested as the minimum when cycling slowly.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah, they were copied from an earlier piece on road.cc