65%
Undecided
20%

Total votes: 66
Escape Goat

Re: If we close up for a bit...

Post by Escape Goat »

Oh no :(

Was there a specific catalyst for this move or was it always coming?
gairym

Post by gairym »

Escape Goat wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:12 am Oh no :(

Was there a specific catalyst for this move or was it always coming?
They said gentle exercise not far from home.

Then they specified NOT training and not too far or remote in response to people taking the piss.

So folk carried on.

And now things are the same as in Italy and Spain - way to go dickheads!
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I'm sorry mate. That sucks. I'm sure it's coming here too. Already put the mtbs away for the foreseeable.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

MuddyPete wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:26 am Which book, Dave?
I knew someone would ask that and thought myself I wanted to read it again. We gave the vast majority of our books to the charity shop when we moved. I remember it was called London in World War 2, or maybe something about the blitz. Had a black and red cover.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
faustus

Post by faustus »

Dave Barter wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:12 pm
johnnystorm wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:49 pm
faustus wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:22 pm The WW2 spirit comparison is an interesting one, because we're being asked to do the opposite, and it clearly doesn't play to a strength of national character in the way the 'blitz' spirit might have.
The other issue with that is that it's steeped in mythology and propaganda. The general population has always had its wallies, selfish and downright awful. Not that Pathe news would report it! :lol:

I read a brilliant book about London in WW2. Crime was worse during the war than before or after. The reality was spivs, looting and murder still persisted.

History is written by the winners.
Very true, the blitz spirit was indeed a propaganda myth in itself - i've read Richard Overy's 'Bombing War', which is an excellent history of aerial bombing in WW2, highlighting in more detail what the reality was like in the UK and beyond.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I've just done something that I said I'd never do, bought a new turbo trainer! :shock: Having used these infernal devices in the past and hated them (whilst admitting that they do help with maintaining fitness in times of sub standard weather)I vowed never again when I made my cycling comeback a few years ago. I've operated on the basis that I'd rather spend my money on decent weatherproof clothing and brave the conditions outside than sit on my bike in the house slowly disappearing in a pool of sweat and boredom.
A couple of things have changed my mind though, I wanted to spend some money in my lbs as I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford it at a time when a lot of people who are self employed are going to struggle (probably including my lbs), I also suspect that at some point there are going to be restrictions here on freedom of movement and I can't imagine not being able to ride my bike at all.
Here's hoping that the new trainer gets as little use as my previous ones did and we can carry on riding with few restrictions. :???:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

There's a lot of folk doing that here in the uk
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Jurassic wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:32 pm I've just done something that I said I'd never do, bought a new turbo trainer! ... Having used these infernal devices in the past and hated them ... disappearing in a pool of sweat and boredom.
If you've bought a smart one and remember the good ole bad ole days, you're in for a surprise; some of the online stuff you can do with them now is almost fun...almost. There's still pools of sweat though.

Try Zwift (it's the most used for a reason), but some of the other smaller apps with different USPs are offering free trials at the moment (for obvious reason). I've got BigRingVR on the list to try as a 'just going riding' option.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Dyffers wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:42 pm
Jurassic wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:32 pm I've just done something that I said I'd never do, bought a new turbo trainer! ... Having used these infernal devices in the past and hated them ... disappearing in a pool of sweat and boredom.
If you've bought a smart one and remember the good ole bad ole days, you're in for a surprise; some of the online stuff you can do with them now is almost fun...almost. There's still pools of sweat though.

Try Zwift (it's the most used for a reason), but some of the other smaller apps with different USPs are offering free trials at the moment (for obvious reason). I've got BigRingVR on the list to try as a 'just going riding' option.
Cheers for the tips Dyffers. :-bd Yeah it's a Saris H3 that I've gone for. One of my cycling buddies uses Zwift all the time and really enjoys it so I'll probably give that a go. The irony is that after weeks of horrible weather it's finally looking a bit springlike here at the moment so I may well go for some real rides while I can and try to make the most of it.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Just saw this article posted by the (new) Bikemonger on FB. https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... 6yeaOopeFk
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Went out for a wee run today. It was so lovely I carried on a bit further than planned. Other than one farm I passed with a car parked outside, I must have been a couple of km from the next nearest human.
faustus

Post by faustus »

I heard on the radio about the planned lock--down in Bavaria, and apparently people are not restricted from solo exercise, so walking, running, and biking etc are fine, just no group things. I do hope UK government see the same sense if they need to up the ante.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The irony is that if large numbers of people work from home and those not working stay indoors then my cycle commute could actually end up being safer than it is now due to the reduced number of cars on the road.

Whilst riding home last night I had another idea, if we want to reduce the burden on the NHS then how about a blanket 40mph (or even 30mph) speed limit on all roads apart from dual carriageways and motorways? I still see some shocking driving and people driving way to fast for the conditions. There were lots of accidents here in Jan and Feb where people hit standing water or mud on the road at speed and ended up in the surrounding fields. Most of them then required hospital treatment.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
FLV

Post by FLV »

Interestingly, I passed a peak district cafe today and under normal circumstances may have stopped for a coffee. Its a tiny place but there's usually a spot outside to sit.
However, today... Rammed with pensioners. As was the next establishment (country pub). It seems the older generation (those particular folk at least) are having none of being cooped up for now.

Not saying they are right or wrong, just observing.
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Same in my local Wetherspoons yesterday, walked past on my way to the post office and it was rammed with wrinklies
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Yep, that's my experience from local to home and being out in the Peaks too. A lot of pensioners seem to have been very reluctant to follow the advice about social distancing.

They've have to now though as pubs and cafes are all closed until further notice. :sad:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

does your company offer free counselling ?
We are here for you in your weeks and weeks of solitude and teetotalness if you feel the need to talk this non drinker will be here to l̶a̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶s̶u̶f̶f̶e̶r̶i̶n̶g̶ lend a supportive ear for a friend in need
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Fear not John - I've got a LOT of booze in the house. :lol: :cool:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I have one bottle of fruit cider - must be out of date
One large bottle of some posh lager - no idea how i dont drink it and obviously being a non drinker i have no friends

When they are worth more than your bike we can talk : :cool:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Listening to the daily extension of restrictions on the way home, the deputy chief medical officer was asked about children exercising. Her response included that going out for a bike ride was fine so long as the two metre social distancing was observed. If it's good for kids ...
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:23 pm Went out for a wee run today. It was so lovely I carried on a bit further than planned. Other than one farm I passed with a car parked outside, I must have been a couple of km from the next nearest human.
Same here. From home office straight into the woods and up the hills yesterday. We've got single tracks right from out door step.

ImageImageImageImageImage

The Swiss gov is doing a great job. If we act accordingly there will be no such measures as in Italy. The problem isn't going out by yourself or with your partner, but going out in groups. Or going for a walk along the lake of Thun with the whole town. Eventually the common sense the Swiss gov is expecting will not show, the number of infections keep rising and my rides become illegal.
After all I had a 3 year education in virology and molecular biology, worked for a vaccine company and know very well myself how to deal with all that comes with the current situation. Also, thankfully, my company has dealt great too and I can work really efficiently from home.
From next mid week onwards those struggling economically will be able to collect much needed money from their bank, the credits covered by the 40 billion chf the Swiss gov has approved, free of interest. This and ither things going on here make me really appreciate where I live. But I'm not quitting on riding! :wink:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Alpinum wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:27 pm After all I had a 3 year education in virology and molecular biology, worked for a vaccine company and know very well myself how to deal with all that comes with the current situation.
You don’t need a new best friend do you?
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
FLV

Post by FLV »

I think lock down in the uk may come, but riding alone is still allowed / encouraged so I will carry on for now.
No high risk riding though, nothing too technical, minimise busy roads etc etc.

The turbo is skulking in the corner still....for now...
Chew

Post by Chew »

FLV wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:52 pm I think lock down in the uk may come, but riding alone is still allowed / encouraged so I will carry on for now.
No high risk riding though, nothing too technical, minimise busy roads etc etc.
Similar here
Spring is here and summer will be along soon.
Keep on getting out, but nothing risky
RIP

Post by RIP »

BigdummySteve wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:35 pm
Alpinum wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:27 pm After all I had a 3 year education in virology and molecular biology, worked for a vaccine company and know very well myself how to deal with all that comes with the current situation.
You don’t need a new best friend do you?
:lol: Get in the very long queue H.O.T. ! Actually I'll start my own queue next to my daughter in Sheffield, it's nearer and she's got nice biscuits :wink:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster