Bar or Seat Bag vs Bar Holster

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Bar or Seat Bag vs Bar Holster

Post by FLV »

What are peoples thoughts around bar and seat bags that you pack directly into on the bike vs harness systems that hold a dry bag.

I guess its easier to pack a dry bag plus its possibly more likely to be waterproof.
Or.. is it simpler is better and a single bag is easier to fill efficiently (especially the seat packs), these are generally lighter I guess.

Any strong opinions?
Mark E

Re: Bar or Seat Bag vs Bar Holster

Post by Mark E »

Definitely a separate bar bag and harness for
Me. Much easier to pack off the bike and allows packing under a tarp/in a tent if it is raining.
Not so fussed on the rear-I have both types of seatpack and use both regularly. I usually use a drybag inside the non holster version so don’t use this if I’m packing as light as possible.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I prefer harness and bag. A couple/few reasons.

1. You can pack the bag "in the dry" and just mount it into the harness.
2. You can use different sized dry bags depending on the season and length of trip. I've used everything from 5L to 20L in my handlebar harness for example.
3. If the dry bag gets damaged you just have to replace that rather than the full kaboodle.

Having said that I do on occasion use an Alpkit Gnaro bar bag but it's generally things that I'm not expecting to use, so something like the mandatory kit on the BB200.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
FLV

Post by FLV »

Annoyingly my widlcat harness doesnt fit my current fork leg - bar distance, and whilst I have a very good acepac bar roll its a little big for some trips. Hence looking for some other solution.

Seatpack wise, I have a couple but am browsing for something more efficient if it exists.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've used a small wildcat tiger and a small apidura seat pack. I find the wildcat more convenient to pack and unpack but the apidura has some nice features like a light fixture and shock cord on top. Bar wise, I've got an ortlieb bar roll which I find easy enough to unload on the bike but it's a lot easier to take it off to stuff a sleeping bag inside so hoping to replace that with a holster type setup.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've gone all holster these days. I still have little-used Revelate Sweetroll that hasn't had an outing since I bought the Harness and Saltyroll. I find the separates easier to pack, easier to fit and better for packing when still "under cover" or for taking bags off quickly if I'm going indoors with them.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

removable bags are better for the reasons noted above
That said I do have an apidura bag and use that in summer to take less stuff.
Front bag worries me less as its generally the stuff i need for camping so will just get emptied anyway .
Packing makes no difference but it is an open ended bag anyway on the apidura.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Holster every time on the bars. I have both types of saddle system but effectively use both as a holster, with a dry bag inside.

Just easier.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Dry bag in a holster more likely to be waterproof, more than an un-sealed seam Xpac 'full bag' anyway. I much prefer bag in holster, found it faster to pack well, that's not a concern now but being able to replace a damaged dry bag or swap dry bag sizes etc is a benefit. Also as mentioned before, ease of taking kit off the bike in one, getting under cover then unpacking / and the reverse process. Far better when escaping the tarp in the rain!
The only exception is smaller pack sizes eg I like a small waterproof seat pack, that's more for light 2 day rides or audax kind of use than multi-day though.
oreocereus

Post by oreocereus »

To hijack a little, I’ve been looking for somewhere uk/Eu-ish I can get buy a holster without drybag (I have loads) - I seem to only be able to find the alp kit one. Any suggestions?
FLV

Post by FLV »

Holster / harness

Straightcutdesigns - out of stock, back soon according to ross
Revelate - from backcountryscot, out of stock
Acepack - from eu
Alpkit - I didnt like it
You could contact restrap, they might sell you one, dont know.
Wildcat if you can find one used

Probably some more I've not found yet.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

oreocereus wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:17 am To hijack a little, I’ve been looking for somewhere uk/Eu-ish I can get buy a holster without drybag (I have loads) - I seem to only be able to find the alp kit one. Any suggestions?
Ian should be able to provide an update on Wildcat restarting - items have appeared on their website but are marked as "Sold out" - https://wildcat.cc/collections/handleba ... 0001439841
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry