Dummies guide to packing bags!

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jobro

Dummies guide to packing bags!

Post by jobro »

I apologise for this idiots question.

I'm concerned about the weight in the front bar bag. To me, you would want to keep the front as light as possible to reduce any effect on steering. So I usually just have the sleeping gear and tarp in there. However I read about one of the competitors in the Atlas mountain race saying they packed the front quite heavy to improve steering (weighting the front?)

What's the consensus on this?

Thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Dummies guide to packing bags!

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Weight is relative, so much depends upon the actual amount of weight involved. Personally, I try and pack so that weight fans out from the centre of the bike. In practice that means heavy items in the frame bag, sleeping kit up front below the bars and everything else in the saddlebag but packed so heavier items are nearer the seatpost if possible / practical.

Weight beyond the axles will have a much greater effect on steering than weight inboard of them.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My packing usually involves heaviest stuff in the front (I rarely use a frame bag and have water there instead). Partly that's just because of how I've split my kit and where it actually fits best but the idea of having more weight at the front is also popular in touring circles - amongst the Euros. You'll often see bikes with front panniers only.

Depending on your bike, weight at the front will be benefitting from suspension and weight at the back not. I find it easier to loft or unweight the front than the rear too.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Totally lackadaisical here. I've ignored the weight distribution completely and just put stuff where I prefer it to be (sleep gear up front, everything else out the back, bits and bobs in stemcells/gastank, sweeties & beer vouchers in me pocket, psychoses in my bonce). I really do wonder how much difference a couple of kg (tops, usually less) at either end makes while I'm busy chucking my 63kg all over the place - front, back, sideways, even off sometimes - all the time. I just don't notice my gear at all. I sort of ride (*) around a bit, talk rubbish with anyone who pretends to listen, eat and drink stuff, and sleep occasionally. It all seems to happen somehow. But then I'm just a tramp, not a proper bike rider :smile: .

(*) sometimes just the wrong side of 'too fast' I have to admit
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
psling

Post by psling »

I think it can depend on the ride and how you want to ride it. If you're wanting to ride at pace on mostly gravel tracks then weighting the front wheel could be a good thing.
If like me you're somewhat heavier than Reg and you like to sit up and enjoy the view then balancing the weight between the wheels may be the better option 😎
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

It just depends for me

in general i stick the stuff i will need at the end of the ride in the front bag - tent sleeping bag mat - summer this is a combined weight of about 1.5 kg including bag
Tent comes out first so if its wet i can get shelter before emptying stuff.
winter - about the same but i put the heavier mat in a frame bag or it would be over 2kg in the front.
saddle I tend to put stuff i will need when camped - usually puffa jacket and hat as easiest access and whatever else i have with me- so stove will be in there and food that needs cooking and whatever else i have. [ thermals for sleeping for example [ if taken]
Riding food and tools in easy to access places

My heavy Genesis cares little about balance the FS is a bit more sensitive but i use it summer and never tried it in a heavy set up.
jameso

Post by jameso »

However I read about one of the competitors in the Atlas mountain race saying they packed the front quite heavy to improve steering (weighting the front?)

What's the consensus on this?
Depends on their bike, some bikes are designed so that they only ride as intended with a full front-only bag. If your bike stays on road then front bias loading can be good, even all of it if the bike still handles OK like that. Stops the bike main frame flexing around too much as it can when you have lighter road bikes with bar and seat bag weight. I quite like it for lightweight road trips but tend to still have a light (<1kg) seatpack with the sleeping gear in.

But off-road, show me a situation where you want the front of the bike pinned down any more than is essential and I'll change my packing habits :grin: or get a far bigger front tyre... I'm with you that you want to keep the front light. Only not to the extent where you have too much weight on the back and a skittish light front. I'd go for the denser stuff in the middle / lower down and the lighter bulkier kit on the saddle and bars. ie,
try and pack so that weight fans out from the centre of the bike.