designing a new part - let me hear your voice.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

drjon

designing a new part - let me hear your voice.

Post by drjon »

https://flic.kr/p/2iEbZSG

Hope this isn't inappropriate use of the forum?

So this part is coming soon - its a 3d printed housing for a brass M5 threaded insert, that can be stuck using double sided tape or stick on velcro AND 2 3mm zip ties to any tube or flat area on your bike.

There are various options for the rear of the part - curved to different radii. One will be flat, one will be around 20-25mm radius (think downtube) and one will be smaller 10mm radius ish.

What size of tubes would you want these to fit on ? the double sided tape such as gorilla brand or double sided velcro will allow some fudging.

if you can leave a note id be very interested in what you might use? cheers dudes.
Last edited by drjon on Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lazarus

Re: designing a new part - let me hear your voice.

Post by Lazarus »

assuming we all have bottle mounts the areas would be

Forks-suspension will be a standard size but i doubt many of us [ I do] use them. Rigid are going to be rather variable in size.
Seat stays - saw some bottles mounted on there once - not sure about clearance
top tube
Possibly under down tube
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

If it could be made out of a slightly softer plastic (not sure if that's possible with 3-D printing) or reliefs cut in to allow it to flex, it could suit a range of tube diameters. Or make the back a vee shape?

Nice idea BTW.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Brilliant! I need a few of those
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

So a bit like the DMR hinged clamp but a bit more flexible where it could be fitted?
drjon

Post by drjon »

thanks all! yep - there are various versions of auxiliary bosses kicking around - this is mine...the idea is that if you only need one - say to add support for a many thing cage when you have a bottle set of bosses (ie 2 ->3) you add a couple of washers under the brazed on bolts and then you may only need tape or velcro for the 3rd... there is also the possibility you have a braze on for a lowrider rack and I have a version of the strap deck more or less good to go that will fit this. it was originally designed for Trek, but they decided not to actively promote it, which means I can ;-)~

It is essentially a triple with 165mm c-c on the top and bottom mounts and then a further mount hole in the middle....the idea was it would fit basically any eyeleted trek fork, but my understanding is that this distance you use for *any* low rider rack mount on a fork is the same.

anyhoo...

there will be some flex in the 'wings' for the zip ties, and along with thick, compressible tape or velcro it will have some ability to work on varied tubes, but I need the adhesive on a decent surface e area to resist twist.

my guess is forks (flat for carbon, smaller rad for steel, larger rad for suspension) and downtime are likely to be the most common areas for the barnacles....its easy enough to offer different radii in future should they be needed.

cheers guys! very helpful!
substandard

Post by substandard »

These are already available online iirc,

They come in either an ‘up to 50mm’ or ‘up to 100mm’ strap, not sure on the mins. I’ll dig it out
drjon

Post by drjon »

I realised it may help to have a visual reference....

Last edited by drjon on Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ian

Post by Ian »

Those are pretty nifty. Would definitely have been useful for Rovaniemi. I had something that did a similar thing, but much more bulky, for strapping my fuel bottle to the front of my seat post. This would have been much neater.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Jon tells me that these will be available from the Wildcat shop in the next 2-3 weeks, not doing a bit of astroturfing are we Ian? :wink:
Ian

Post by Ian »

I don’t know what astroturfing is, so unlikely :???:
Even I haven’t seen any in the plastic yet. Just telling how I see it :wink:
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Just pulling your leg, it's been a long day :smile:
As soon as you get some, can you let me know, there'll be an order coming your way.