Camera Phones (Sorry)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Camera Phones (Sorry)

Post by FLV »

Hi,
I need a new phone, my current on is goosed.

Can anyone recommend one with a good camera? I dont use any other sort of camera.

My only real other requirement is that its not blooming huge, which seems to be a sticking point. Oh, and daft 1000 quid phones need not apply.

Ta
Gregsie

Re: Camera Phones (Sorry)

Post by Gregsie »

Bought an Oukitel WP5 for £110 SIM free off Amazon a few weeks ago because mine gave up the ghost.

Android 9, 8000 mAh battery which lasts ages and can be used as a powerbank if needs must.

Water and drop proof - there's a video on YouTube of someone chipping it out of a block of ice and running over it with an SUV. Another tick for me as I tend to destroy phones due to me working outdoors.

The camera seems to be fine with nice colours.

Weighs a fair bit due to the battery, but does not have a tablet size screen which was one of my criteria.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OUKITEL-WP5-Sm ... 6595133673
Powered by crumpets.
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

What's your budget?
Do you prefer outright purchase or monthly payments?
What was your previous phone?
Insanity over vanity
FLV

Post by FLV »

Previous phone is a samsung S9, supposedly waterproof but Its the second one to give up due to 'water ingress'
Prefer outright, prefer under 400 pounds quid
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Get a second hand Huawei P30 pro. It's the best ice ever had. My capital trail video on YouTube has been filmed with it.
Boab

Post by Boab »

I have a Pixel 3 XL, which has a great camera, but was stupidly expensive and is ridiculously large. It's been replaced by the Pixel 4, which you can get in both normal and XL sizes, still not particularly cheap though. The Pixel 4a is coming out soon, which should have a stonking camera, be smaller and less expensive, that would be my vote.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Cheers all so far. I was looking into the pixel 4, annoying that its a couple of months away. Going to need a camera I can charge whilst out on a trip before then I think.
Lets see
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Samsung are doing some great trade in and cash back deals at the moment and if you go through quidco you can get even more cash back.

For example:

A71 (64mp main camera and latest version of Android) £419
£60 cashback my quoting the serial number when you get it
£60 min trade in for any android phone or £100 min for any iPhone 4 or better
£25 cashback through quidco
Extra £25 additional cashback if you buy a second device (phone, watch, etc)

The A51 is a touch smaller as is the S10e, I dont think you'd want to go lower down the range if you've had an S9.

I think Samsung can smell Huawei's blood in the water and are taking advantage of Trump's Google ban.
gairym

Post by gairym »

Escape Goat wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:49 pm Get a second hand Huawei P30 pro. It's the best ice ever had. My capital trail video on YouTube has been filmed with it.
+1 for the above.

I giveth zero schnitzels for phone blingery but when I went in with a problem on my S8 they gave me the P30 as an (almost free) upgrade and the camera is bloody brilliant!
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Got sick of paying big money for crap phones, so last year I took a punt on a second hand Pixel 2 for £100. Best phone pictures I've ever taken and best £300 I've ever saved (spent it on bike parts natch).
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Same question but never thought of asking.
Narrowed down to Xiaomi mi 8, 9 or 10 and Huawei P30 pro.
Shopping for best price not in a hurry.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
faustus

Post by faustus »

I have a P20 pro (which i think is the same camera as the p30), and I got purely for the camera. Probably quite cheap now, and i got mine as new reconditioned. It's a really good camera and very versatile, and plenty of settings and manual options (including RAW shooting) if you want. Wasn't keen on the auto AI feature, but that can be turned off. Battery life is also excellent.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I was going to recommend the one work give me, but then you said
Previous phone is a samsung S9

... and mine's a J6 :lol: :lol:
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Was going to suggest p30 or p30pro just like everyone else here.
Or I have had a Xperia Z3c ,very waterproof,good camera,and is a good cycle computer/sat nav using ipbike app and it works with ant+ bike and heart rate transmitters! Less than £100 reconditioned.
A new P30 is just about in your budget.
P30PRO a lot more spendy! But has better zoom function mainly on camera side.
Insanity over vanity
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

I did a fair bit of research on this and for my budget, the Pixel 3a came out top last summer.

It does take very good pics for a phone.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I would have recommended the iPhone 7 Plus, very impressed with the quality of the camera but this winter, the phone has suffered in the bitter winds. Its died a few time on the hills when I’ve been running, has a 50% battery and just hibernates.

Battery life in ‘normal weather’ is perfectly fine, it just can’t cope with low temperatures
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

The thing I would add to the mix Dave (other than I'm done with Samsungs and their built in obsolesence BS, after being a Samsung fan since the Note2 and I think before... with an S9 and S8 with the missus and myself respectively as current phones) that the dosh you saves from the phone, make sure you invest in a little double sealing waterproof phone wallet for you toolkit*.

Ever since my Note4 died after being on the handlebara for a long wet ride, I always carry a waterproof wallet. Mine is from British Cycling but I imagine they can be bought for around 5 quid. I always keep inside my toolkit for emergency rain issues for my S8 but I imagine you might have to squeeze it into your ultra swanky 1L frame bag... surely there should be space!
FLV

Post by FLV »

Ha ha, it might fit Shaf, so long as its a small phone
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

FLV wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:50 pm Ha ha, it might fit Shaf, so long as its a small phone
Lol... no not the phone inside swanky micro frame bag... The rolled up waterproof sleeve for in case the rain doesn't let off
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

For a small phone, the best option remains the Sony Xperia XZ2 compact.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

For those in the know because never having had a phone, I know nowt - if I wanted something to take pictures with would a refurb pixel 2 for around £110 be a worthwhile purchase? Really not bothered about the phone side of things.
May the bridges you burn light your way
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:18 pm For those in the know because never having had a phone, I know nowt - if I wanted something to take pictures with would a refurb pixel 2 for around £110 be a worthwhile purchase? Really not bothered about the phone side of things.
Yeah, by and large for given generation/price range a Pixel is a good bet camera wise.

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/ ... l-2-camera
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:18 pm For those in the know because never having had a phone, I know nowt - if I wanted something to take pictures with would a refurb pixel 2 for around £110 be a worthwhile purchase? Really not bothered about the phone side of things.
Yes. The phone side of a Pixel 2 isn't too bad either. Hang around eBay for a week or two putting in low offers on mint condition ones and you'll get one for that price. Battery life probably not as good as a new one but if you only do photos it'll last a 3 day trip no bother.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If you're not after a phone then you'll find that many manufacturers make a device with no phone but that still takes photographs. Unconstrained by other design criteria they can also fit them with decent lenses.
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Very happy with my One+ 6
They are on the 7 now
https://www.oneplus.com/uk