Anyone bother with a lock when out?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Shewie

Anyone bother with a lock when out?

Post by Shewie »

As I've just got my new shiny bike I'm a little bit paranoid about it getting nicked when I'm snoring away inside my bivvy, I was just curious if anyone bothers to carry any kind of security with them on a trip?

Obviously it depends on where you go and the likelihood of some oxygen thieving smackhead scumbag stumbling across your camp, and also the availability of a decent anchor to fasten to.

Standard offerings look heavy and bulky so was thinking of knocking something up myself, first thought was a 1.5m length of Amsteel with a spliced eye at each end, do a couple of wraps around the tree/fence post/handy eyelet on bothy wall, then around the frame, brings the ends together and secure with a 20mm combi lock.

Amsteel isn't cut proof but you need a decent knife to get through it, it would be enough to deter I think.

Yale YP2 combi = 30g
1.5m Amstell Blue 7/64 = 10g ?

Any mileage?
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Anyone bother with a lock when out?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't bother - I generally think that if there's a chance of my bike getting nicked then I've pitched up in the wrong spot. However, a lock for cafe / food stops might not be a bad idea depending where you are although in rural Wales there's very little need.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Boab

Post by Boab »

It's worth bearing in mind that if they want your bike, they'll take you bike; you're just trying to deter a casual walk by theft.

With that in mind, I was going to ask something similar, but for when you're popping into a shop to resupply and can't necessarily see your bike outside. The obvious answers are either the Z LOK, or Ottolock, but both wont survive any sort of determined attack. Due to their cost, people have suggested just using a heavy duty reusable zip tie. I've also heard about putting a padlock through your disc rotor, the idea being a scrote can't just cycle away with your bike, although they can just lift it into the back of a van. 🤷‍♂️

I was currently thinking of a combination of a padlock through the disc rotor, and a Z LOK. Open to suggestions though...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
RIP

Post by RIP »

At night, with half of my wheels propping up my tarp they're probably going to think twice unless they're a competent unicyclist or wheelie-merchant :wink: . As ever, you're only trying to stop an opportunist. As Stu says, spot choice will help. For outside cafes, easiest is just tie a load of string in many loops round the frame and a fixed object. I usually take my bike INTO the Spar and push it round the aisles when I'm shopping. It always seems to be a talking point rather than an annoyance for them :smile: . If you reckon a combi helps at all, I sometimes use one of these:

Last edited by RIP on Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Taking your front axle out will prevent anyone riding off on it & create a noise if they attempt to move it..

You can also get small personal attack type alarms with a motion sensor. Or use a pin-pull type with some fishing line..
Last edited by Wotsits on Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Shewie wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:45 pm my new shiny bike
If you make sure you ride through as much muck as possible it makes it less desirable :wink:

I never bother when at my bivi spot. When I stop at cafes/shops I use a little cable lock. It wouldn't take much for a determined thief defeat but will stop someone just wandering off with the bike. Carefully placed around a post/fence it also stops the bike falling over.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

3 reusable zipties Rich under my saddle. Bout 30cm each. I have spares for ya... only use for using supermarkets or stopping quick getaways...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Whilst bivvying I never bother. Chances are I have a guy line attached to it as a lifter anyway.

Shops/cafes I have a cheaper version of that combination cable-lock above. Mine is bright orange though. I reckon the brighter colour makes it more visible and therefore more likely to deter anyone just passing.
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

Really depends on where I am I suppose.

I use a Hiplock Z lock. which won't stop a determined thief, but is handy when you need to nip into a toilet/shop or something and it feels a bit dodgy.
It doesn't weigh much and I usually slide it down the frame bag loops.
I would say choosing the right spot is more important. At night I would just feed guy lines through the wheels if I felt worried, but if I felt my bike was at risk, I would be more worried about my own safety, and maybe look for somewhere else.

I once bivvied up in Thetford forest, there were three lads with a discovery ragging it around the tracks only to get stuck in mud, they wanted me to help push, but I wanted nothing to do with them, so cycled on, later I could hear them racing around near me shouting and hollering. I did not sleep well that night. (probably miles away, but the sound carried so it felt like I was going to be squashed at any moment)
RIP

Post by RIP »

These 113db alarms look fun. Almost tempted to buy one and encourage someone to try and filch the bike just to see the reaction:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mengshen-Wirel ... 8077&psc=1
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Mart

Post by Mart »

I make use of a Z Loc Combo for cafe's etc (no key to lose)
I used to use a ski lock but it wasn't very sturdy

https://hiplok.com/z-lok-combo/
2924 miles per Gallon
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

£10 on sports pursuit or £5 for the keyed one currently
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I use the abus retractable cable lock, handy for cafe stops. Can’t remember if I’ve used it before for a bivy, maybe in a bothy?

Have 2 of them, plus a knog one. Had the knog one first, then took it without the key for a trip, when to combination abus ones after that!

Good for any quick stop on any bike or securing helmet etc. I also have one on our baby buggy just in case!

I live in London though. My mate has just had his motorbike nicked - disc lock and Almax chain cut with portable angle grinder. It’s that sort of thing that makes me lock my bike, even though a pathetic little cable lock won’t do anything, it’s a tiny bit of piece of mind. It also stops drunken antics outside the pub if someone thinks it’s funny to take the bike for a ride (that’s not me :-bd )
Boab

Post by Boab »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:50 pm £10 on sports pursuit or £5 for the keyed one currently
£15 once P&P and then tax is applied for the COMBO. 🙄
Also not shipping till the end of the month...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

I've been using a z-loc combo for a couple of years now - it's light, doesn't have a key to worry about and has survived lots of cafe stops.
mfezela

I did not sleep well that night.

Post by mfezela »

Deleted. See new thread.