Helmets.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

Helmets.

Post by ton »

I loathe wearing a helmet, always have. find em uncomfy, sweaty, distracting.

but my granddaughter saw me riding home on sunday, and told me that I should wear one all the time when riding, as it is unsafe not to. and I know better than to argue with a smart 11 year old.

so, new helmet for a bloke with a melon sized head. it needs to be well vented, comfy and hopefully half nice looking.

idea's greatly appreciated.
Boab

Re: Helmets.

Post by Boab »

In my experience, light (so comfy) and well vented, generally equals expensive. I always liked Spesh helmets, they fit my head well, but you have to spend. If you're doing more off road stuff, then you may want more back of the head protection, so a MTB helmet, rather than a road one. MIPS or no MIPS, that's a personal choice, MIPS is obviously more expensive.

I can't recommend my current Smith Rover, it's bulky, heavy and hot.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I used to only wear a helmet in the winter to keep my head warm. One big crash later that split the helmet in half and I've worn them every ride since. Since that one (around 1990) I've written off another two. I'm a fan of crash helmets.

No two heads are the same. I'd recommend visiting as many shops as you can to try a range of manufacturers. I've always bought mine when they've been on sale.
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

I have had trouble finding helmets in the past to fit my oversized noggin. Previously, I used Giro helmets which fit with almost all of the removable inner padding taken out. At the end of last year though, I bought a Troy Lee designs MIPS helmet for half price in the sale, and it's a much better fit. I don't have to remove most of the inner padding either.

Cheers, Michael.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I think you just need to pass her e-mail address to TJ and he will explain to her why she is so wrong about this

reality is fit is personal - like saddles so best go to a big shop and try some on

More expensive ones tend to have more vents and be lighter- I have to say i dont actually find much , if any, difference between my expensive one and my much much cheaper on one helmet
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

How about a Met Predatore, which is basically an extra large version of the Met Veleno, which I have, but find it a bit tight unless my hair is particularly short. Unfortunately the Predatore just looked too big on my head so I've never used it. Has been sitting in it's box for years now with a tenuous plan to ebay it, so would like to see it on someone's head!

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/met ... -prod17693

The venting is great in the summer and it's pretty light too. Just let me know if you fancy it and I'll send you a picture.
techno

Post by techno »

Pirahna wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:07 pm No two heads are the same. I'd recommend visiting as many shops as you can to try a range of manufacturers. I've always bought mine when they've been on sale.
I agree fully with this. I was all set to splash a load of cash on a fancy helmet only to find it didn't fit my (possibly unusually shaped) head. So I tried every helmet on in 3 shops till i found one that fit perfectly. bonus was that it £40 in the sale :-bd
Mart

Post by Mart »

Ive loved the fit of my POC Tectal. Much more comfy than my old one
A good fitting helmet will be a joy to wear
2924 miles per Gallon
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

I have an Endura Singletrack II - Very light and airy.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Allterrain in Saltaire usually have a good stock of helmets (local to you?).

They are usually full price though.

Personally I'm finding newer Giro and Bell helmets a good fit. Completely irrelevant unless your head is the same shape as mine.

Also suspect I have significantly negated any MIPS benefit by fitting the exposure headtorch mount thru a vent (and also thru the MIPS liner) :roll:
ton

Post by ton »

I went for a fox speed frame helmet in the end. fits nice on my melon
bought from the shop at the leeds urban bike park. as cheap as the internet giants to.
Fox_Speedframe_Helmet_Navy_Main_1024x1024.jpg
(73.28 KiB) Downloaded 1029 times
FLV

Post by FLV »

Hi Ton,

I have struggles historically with helmets. I do wear them but always struggle to find one to fit my melon sized head. They tend to kind of sit on top and only protect a little dome up there... they dont generally touch everywhere theyre supposed to either.

Previously I have had success with a specialized echelon but its not ideal. Yesterday I bought a Giro Fixture (non Mipps) universal size lid (54 to 61 I think). I was at the velodrome / BMX club and popped in on the off chance and am pleasantly suprised at the coverage and fit.

45 quid in the sale, could be worth a punt if you havnt already found one
https://www.evanscycles.com/giro-fixtur ... t-EV332683
ozboz

Post by ozboz »

I have had a brain buckets over the years , the one I do really like is the Bontager wave cell, supposedly better protection a a sort of crumple zone liner , but I do find it well light and well ventilated, the chin strap has a magnetic catch , all in all a bit exxy but ok by me