Self Isolation

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Re: Self Isolation

Post by jameso »

Peaches and tuna, sounds ok?

I think we'll all be well prepared, a dinner of half a pack of noodles with a few dried apricots and a dash of chilli powder is the sort of thing we usually spend good money to experience : )

As for fighting over toilet roll... sod that. People have never spent time in parts of Asia, obviously. I'd only worry when the taps run dry... We already stockpiled 3 years' worth of soap, right?
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

lune ranger wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:26 pmCovid19 May pose no real threat to you personally but flapping around if you are symptomatic puts others at risk.
^This

Some may exhibit no or mild symptoms, to others it could be deadly..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Chew

Post by Chew »

As it happens I’m currently in northern Italy.
Winter holiday which wasn’t in a high risk area at the start of the week, but now is.
Facing 2 weeks of isolation when we are hopefully repatriated tomorrow. We’ll find out in time.

You could just be a carrier of the disease without any symptoms.
The majority of us will probably be fine, it’s those in high risk medical groups which will have to face the risks.

I’ll soo. Find out how realistic self isolation is....
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Good luck getting back today Chew. Was wondering whether you'd last the week.

Has anyone in the UK actually been fighting over toilet rolls? I smell fake news. :lol:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

In Reverse wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:31 am Good luck getting back today Chew. Was wondering whether you'd last the week.

Has anyone in the UK actually been fighting over toilet rolls? I smell fake news. :lol:
Dunno but there’s some very weird shelves empty in my Waitrose - all the mint tea was gone for a start :grin:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

In Reverse wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:31 am Good luck getting back today Chew. Was wondering whether you'd last the week.

Dunno about "fighting" but Cath said the shelves were rather bare the other day. Could have been a blip in the supply as much as anything - delivery lorry breaks down, that sort of thing.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

jameso wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:42 am I'd only worry when the taps run dry...
If the workforce of the utility companies have to stay at home and self-isolate then the water will be off in 12 to 24hrs. Water treatment works require human input to keep going. Wastewater treatment works don't run themselves either.

The shelves of my local Sainsburys were stripped bare of loo roll... which won't be much use if it does all go pear shaped as there won't be any water to flush the loo anyway and if there was chances are the treatment works will be off and it will just be overflowing into the sea/rivers.

In better news, it's stopped raining here and the sun's coming out :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

lune ranger wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:38 am

Dunno but there’s some very weird shelves empty in my Waitrose - all the mint tea was gone for a start :grin:
When I was doubled up with abdominal pain to the point of almost passing out my gf tried to "treat" me with a nice cup of peppermint tea. I had my appendix removed about 6 hours later. We are no longer together.

Happy to report toilet roll stocks appear fine in Asda (Eccles) and Sainsburys (Fallowfield). I was unable to get any fresh watercress last night though.
PaulB2

Post by PaulB2 »

Our local Aldi was much much quieter than usual when I had to pop in on Saturday. The only thing missing from the shelves though were green beans and hand sanitiser. I normally avoid it like the plague (pun intended) on a weekend but there was only one person in each queue at the tills. My kids are walking disease factories and we normally get a rolling series of colds and flus over the winter so we've got no way of knowing if we've had it, got it or going to get it but that my wife has unleashed her inner doomsday prepper and increased the size of her Brexit stash. As long as we still have water we'll be fine for 2 months.

If we do all have to stay quarantined at home at least I can work from home but it won't be as easy for the self-employed or those on zero hours contracts.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

the only ones left in my local shop were the cheap own brand ones so it seems they are panic buying it
faustus

Post by faustus »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:48 am
jameso wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:42 am I'd only worry when the taps run dry...
If the workforce of the utility companies have to stay at home and self-isolate then the water will be off in 12 to 24hrs. Water treatment works require human input to keep going. Wastewater treatment works don't run themselves either.

The shelves of my local Sainsburys were stripped bare of loo roll... which won't be much use if it does all go pear shaped as there won't be any water to flush the loo anyway and if there was chances are the treatment works will be off and it will just be overflowing into the sea/rivers.

In better news, it's stopped raining here and the sun's coming out :smile:
Just putting the dampers on any fear of taps running dry. I work for a water company (not in any treatment works or processes though), and water and wastewater services going off is most definitely not on the cards. The sites don't run themselves for sure, but there are detailed contingency and emergency plans ready to be bought in for this kind of thing, and there are established contingencies.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

we all get a free trailshot?
faustus

Post by faustus »

drink from a manky puddle like a cat :grin:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Just putting the dampers on any fear of taps running dry. I work for a water company (not in any treatment works or processes though), and water and wastewater services going off is most definitely not on the cards. The sites don't run themselves for sure, but there are detailed contingency and emergency plans ready to be bought in for this kind of thing, and there are established contingencies.
.*puts rainwater barrel away*
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

faustus wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:39 pm Just putting the dampers on any fear of taps running dry. I work for a water company (not in any treatment works or processes though), and water and wastewater services going off is most definitely not on the cards.
And I'm a designer in the water industry, I know how close we've been to the water going off for large areas in the past on more than one occasion. The detailed plans rely on people (contractors) physically doing things which they can't do if they are at home? We've had standpipes and bottled water being delivered for days before locally just because a single reservoir failed.
faustus wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:39 pm The sites don't run themselves for sure, but there are detailed contingency and emergency plans ready to be bought in for this kind of thing, and there are established contingencies.
You are clearly in management :wink:

I'm not singling out the water industry, I've worked on power distribution and gas schemes as well, all of the networks 'just' about hold together most of the time. It doesn't take much to tip them over the edge. Years of massive under-investment and asset stripping as they get sold form one foreign investor to anther hasn't left them in the best state.

I live within walking distance of a river so I'll be able to sneak down under the cover of darkness each night with my filter and get the next days supply :grin:
jameso

Post by jameso »

Water barrel is out again.. Will now die of bacterial infection from a dead pigeon in the pipe rather than get a bit of a cough from a viral infection from the local chip shop.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Anyone know a good source for 2L plastic bottles? I'm gonna make a fortune from 'Ceulan Spring Water' :wink:

Regarding folk buying loads of sh1t they don't need - I'm told that although the Welsh tend to be quite laidback and pragmatic about inpending doom, you can no longer buy more than 5 of any item in Tesco at Newtown. I was told this in the Spar and the girl doing the telling said how mad she thought the panic buying was which seemed kind of ironic as I turned to leave and fell over the great big display of family pack toilet rolls on speciel offer :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:27 pm I'm told that although the Welsh tend to be quite laidback and pragmatic about inpending doom, you can no longer buy more than 5 of any item in Tesco at Newtown
Even eggs?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:27 pm Anyone know a good source for 2L plastic bottles? I'm gonna make a fortune from 'Ceulan Spring Water' :wink:
Selling bottled water in Wales given the current weather is going to be tricky? Can't most people just scoop water off the ground as it flows past their feet using their danglemug? :lol: It's not far off that here in the 'sunny' south.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I don’t really get the panic buying of toilet rolls, if it was dysentery then you’d be saving yourself some potential traumatic times :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Selling bottled water in Wales given the current weather is going to be tricky? Can't most people just scoop water off the ground as it flows past their feet using their danglemug? :lol: It's not far off that here in the 'sunny' south.
I was planning on sending it across the border ... they've got a taste for our water :wink:
Even eggs?
Ooh good point Colin. I might have to test the theory.
I don’t really get the panic buying of toilet rolls, if it was dysentery then you’d be saving yourself some potential traumatic times
I'm told* it's because many are produced in China and if they go under full lockdown we'll run out.

*This could obviously and is most likely utter bollox.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Think that's bolleaux Stu :lol: We import much of the wood with which to make toilet paper but most is made here.

A curiosity - we actually needed to purchase toilet rolls last week. Cath noted that the only packs left were the big packs, all/most of the 12 roll packs had gone. If you were going to stockpile then surely it would make sense to purchase the biggest packs you could? "I'd better stock up on loo rolls so I'll pick four of my usual packs and struggle to carry them rather than pick that there big one."
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FWIW I did our usual weekly shop in Aldi yesterday and everything was normal other than a lack of hand gel*

* and walnuts as it happens but that's probably unrelated.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Saw bog roll on the shelves for the first time in a week, been in multiple supermarkets and all have been emptied. Also a lack of pasta, and no bread flour to be seen, a really eclectic mix of stockpiling going on.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
faustus

Post by faustus »

sean_iow wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:12 pm
faustus wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:39 pm Just putting the dampers on any fear of taps running dry. I work for a water company (not in any treatment works or processes though), and water and wastewater services going off is most definitely not on the cards.
And I'm a designer in the water industry, I know how close we've been to the water going off for large areas in the past on more than one occasion. The detailed plans rely on people (contractors) physically doing things which they can't do if they are at home? We've had standpipes and bottled water being delivered for days before locally just because a single reservoir failed.
faustus wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:39 pm The sites don't run themselves for sure, but there are detailed contingency and emergency plans ready to be bought in for this kind of thing, and there are established contingencies.
You are clearly in management :wink:

I'm not singling out the water industry, I've worked on power distribution and gas schemes as well, all of the networks 'just' about hold together most of the time. It doesn't take much to tip them over the edge. Years of massive under-investment and asset stripping as they get sold form one foreign investor to anther hasn't left them in the best state.

I live within walking distance of a river so I'll be able to sneak down under the cover of darkness each night with my filter and get the next days supply :grin:
Definitely NOT in management! :lol: I agree the networks are creaky most of the time, and it's in hot weather high demand when it's got close to failure recently. Still, don't think taps'll be off.

On bog roll - we also needed some and the only stuff left was the recycled stuff we normally get, so it's stockpiling to luxuriously soft and strong standards around here... :roll: