Self Isolation

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso
Posts: 3301
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Chilterns

Re: Self Isolation

Post by jameso » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:42 am

Peaches and tuna, sounds ok?

I think we'll all be well prepared, a dinner of half a pack of noodles with a few dried apricots and a dash of chilli powder is the sort of thing we usually spend good money to experience : )

As for fighting over toilet roll... sod that. People have never spent time in parts of Asia, obviously. I'd only worry when the taps run dry... We already stockpiled 3 years' worth of soap, right?

User avatar
Wotsits
Posts: 1065
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: Self Isolation

Post by Wotsits » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:01 am

lune ranger wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:26 pm
Covid19 May pose no real threat to you personally but flapping around if you are symptomatic puts others at risk.
^This

Some may exhibit no or mild symptoms, to others it could be deadly..
(Over)Reaching for the elitist 'vision'....

Chew
Posts: 2451
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 8:46 pm
Location: Halifax

Re: Self Isolation

Post by Chew » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:12 am

As it happens I’m currently in northern Italy.
Winter holiday which wasn’t in a high risk area at the start of the week, but now is.
Facing 2 weeks of isolation when we are hopefully repatriated tomorrow. We’ll find out in time.

You could just be a carrier of the disease without any symptoms.
The majority of us will probably be fine, it’s those in high risk medical groups which will have to face the risks.

I’ll soo. Find out how realistic self isolation is....

User avatar
In Reverse
Posts: 1112
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:08 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Self Isolation

Post by In Reverse » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:31 am

Good luck getting back today Chew. Was wondering whether you'd last the week.

Has anyone in the UK actually been fighting over toilet rolls? I smell fake news. :lol:

lune ranger
Posts: 991
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:52 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of Devon

Re: Self Isolation

Post by lune ranger » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:38 am

In Reverse wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:31 am
Good luck getting back today Chew. Was wondering whether you'd last the week.

Has anyone in the UK actually been fighting over toilet rolls? I smell fake news. :lol:
Dunno but there’s some very weird shelves empty in my Waitrose - all the mint tea was gone for a start :grin:

User avatar
whitestone
Posts: 5707
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:20 am
Location: Skipton(ish)
Contact:

Re: Self Isolation

Post by whitestone » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:40 am

In Reverse wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:31 am
Good luck getting back today Chew. Was wondering whether you'd last the week.

Has anyone in the UK actually been fighting over toilet rolls? I smell fake news. :lol:
Dunno about "fighting" but Cath said the shelves were rather bare the other day. Could have been a blip in the supply as much as anything - delivery lorry breaks down, that sort of thing.
Image

User avatar
sean_iow
Posts: 2366
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:08 pm
Location: Isle of Wight

Re: Self Isolation

Post by sean_iow » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:48 am

jameso wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:42 am
I'd only worry when the taps run dry...
If the workforce of the utility companies have to stay at home and self-isolate then the water will be off in 12 to 24hrs. Water treatment works require human input to keep going. Wastewater treatment works don't run themselves either.

The shelves of my local Sainsburys were stripped bare of loo roll... which won't be much use if it does all go pear shaped as there won't be any water to flush the loo anyway and if there was chances are the treatment works will be off and it will just be overflowing into the sea/rivers.

In better news, it's stopped raining here and the sun's coming out :smile:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger

User avatar
In Reverse
Posts: 1112
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:08 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Self Isolation

Post by In Reverse » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:00 pm

lune ranger wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:38 am
In Reverse wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:31 am
Good luck getting back today Chew. Was wondering whether you'd last the week.

Has anyone in the UK actually been fighting over toilet rolls? I smell fake news. :lol:
Dunno but there’s some very weird shelves empty in my Waitrose - all the mint tea was gone for a start :grin:
When I was doubled up with abdominal pain to the point of almost passing out my gf tried to "treat" me with a nice cup of peppermint tea. I had my appendix removed about 6 hours later. We are no longer together.

Happy to report toilet roll stocks appear fine in Asda (Eccles) and Sainsburys (Fallowfield). I was unable to get any fresh watercress last night though.

User avatar
PaulB2
Posts: 822
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:32 pm
Location: Stafford

Re: Self Isolation

Post by PaulB2 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:07 pm

Our local Aldi was much much quieter than usual when I had to pop in on Saturday. The only thing missing from the shelves though were green beans and hand sanitiser. I normally avoid it like the plague (pun intended) on a weekend but there was only one person in each queue at the tills. My kids are walking disease factories and we normally get a rolling series of colds and flus over the winter so we've got no way of knowing if we've had it, got it or going to get it but that my wife has unleashed her inner doomsday prepper and increased the size of her Brexit stash. As long as we still have water we'll be fine for 2 months.

If we do all have to stay quarantined at home at least I can work from home but it won't be as easy for the self-employed or those on zero hours contracts.

Lazarus
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:49 am

Re: Self Isolation

Post by Lazarus » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:28 pm

the only ones left in my local shop were the cheap own brand ones so it seems they are panic buying it

User avatar
faustus
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:30 pm
Location: Newbury

Re: Self Isolation

Post by faustus » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:39 pm

sean_iow wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:48 am
jameso wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:42 am
I'd only worry when the taps run dry...
If the workforce of the utility companies have to stay at home and self-isolate then the water will be off in 12 to 24hrs. Water treatment works require human input to keep going. Wastewater treatment works don't run themselves either.

The shelves of my local Sainsburys were stripped bare of loo roll... which won't be much use if it does all go pear shaped as there won't be any water to flush the loo anyway and if there was chances are the treatment works will be off and it will just be overflowing into the sea/rivers.

In better news, it's stopped raining here and the sun's coming out :smile:
Just putting the dampers on any fear of taps running dry. I work for a water company (not in any treatment works or processes though), and water and wastewater services going off is most definitely not on the cards. The sites don't run themselves for sure, but there are detailed contingency and emergency plans ready to be bought in for this kind of thing, and there are established contingencies.

Lazarus
Posts: 1204
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:49 am

Re: Self Isolation

Post by Lazarus » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:46 pm

we all get a free trailshot?

User avatar
faustus
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:30 pm
Location: Newbury

Re: Self Isolation

Post by faustus » Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:50 pm

drink from a manky puddle like a cat :grin:

jameso
Posts: 3301
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Chilterns

Re: Self Isolation

Post by jameso » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:09 pm

Just putting the dampers on any fear of taps running dry. I work for a water company (not in any treatment works or processes though), and water and wastewater services going off is most definitely not on the cards. The sites don't run themselves for sure, but there are detailed contingency and emergency plans ready to be bought in for this kind of thing, and there are established contingencies.
.*puts rainwater barrel away*

User avatar
sean_iow
Posts: 2366
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:08 pm
Location: Isle of Wight

Re: Self Isolation

Post by sean_iow » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:12 pm

faustus wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:39 pm
Just putting the dampers on any fear of taps running dry. I work for a water company (not in any treatment works or processes though), and water and wastewater services going off is most definitely not on the cards.
And I'm a designer in the water industry, I know how close we've been to the water going off for large areas in the past on more than one occasion. The detailed plans rely on people (contractors) physically doing things which they can't do if they are at home? We've had standpipes and bottled water being delivered for days before locally just because a single reservoir failed.
faustus wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:39 pm
The sites don't run themselves for sure, but there are detailed contingency and emergency plans ready to be bought in for this kind of thing, and there are established contingencies.
You are clearly in management :wink:

I'm not singling out the water industry, I've worked on power distribution and gas schemes as well, all of the networks 'just' about hold together most of the time. It doesn't take much to tip them over the edge. Years of massive under-investment and asset stripping as they get sold form one foreign investor to anther hasn't left them in the best state.

I live within walking distance of a river so I'll be able to sneak down under the cover of darkness each night with my filter and get the next days supply :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger

jameso
Posts: 3301
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:48 pm
Location: Chilterns

Re: Self Isolation

Post by jameso » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:26 pm

Water barrel is out again.. Will now die of bacterial infection from a dead pigeon in the pipe rather than get a bit of a cough from a viral infection from the local chip shop.

User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 18099
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: Self Isolation

Post by Bearbonesnorm » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:27 pm

Anyone know a good source for 2L plastic bottles? I'm gonna make a fortune from 'Ceulan Spring Water' :wink:

Regarding folk buying loads of sh1t they don't need - I'm told that although the Welsh tend to be quite laidback and pragmatic about inpending doom, you can no longer buy more than 5 of any item in Tesco at Newtown. I was told this in the Spar and the girl doing the telling said how mad she thought the panic buying was which seemed kind of ironic as I turned to leave and fell over the great big display of family pack toilet rolls on speciel offer :wink:
#corporate shill for hire

User avatar
ScotRoutes
Posts: 5580
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:56 am
Location: Cairngorms
Contact:

Re: Self Isolation

Post by ScotRoutes » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:37 pm

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:27 pm
I'm told that although the Welsh tend to be quite laidback and pragmatic about inpending doom, you can no longer buy more than 5 of any item in Tesco at Newtown
Even eggs?

User avatar
sean_iow
Posts: 2366
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:08 pm
Location: Isle of Wight

Re: Self Isolation

Post by sean_iow » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:42 pm

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:27 pm
Anyone know a good source for 2L plastic bottles? I'm gonna make a fortune from 'Ceulan Spring Water' :wink:
Selling bottled water in Wales given the current weather is going to be tricky? Can't most people just scoop water off the ground as it flows past their feet using their danglemug? :lol: It's not far off that here in the 'sunny' south.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger

User avatar
BigdummySteve
Posts: 2067
Joined: Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:16 pm
Location: Oxfordshire

Re: Self Isolation

Post by BigdummySteve » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:45 pm

I don’t really get the panic buying of toilet rolls, if it was dysentery then you’d be saving yourself some potential traumatic times :-bd
There's a place up ahead and I'm goin'
Just as fast as my feet can fly

User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 18099
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: Self Isolation

Post by Bearbonesnorm » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:47 pm

Selling bottled water in Wales given the current weather is going to be tricky? Can't most people just scoop water off the ground as it flows past their feet using their danglemug? :lol: It's not far off that here in the 'sunny' south.
I was planning on sending it across the border ... they've got a taste for our water :wink:
Even eggs?
Ooh good point Colin. I might have to test the theory.
I don’t really get the panic buying of toilet rolls, if it was dysentery then you’d be saving yourself some potential traumatic times
I'm told* it's because many are produced in China and if they go under full lockdown we'll run out.

*This could obviously and is most likely utter bollox.
#corporate shill for hire

User avatar
whitestone
Posts: 5707
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:20 am
Location: Skipton(ish)
Contact:

Re: Self Isolation

Post by whitestone » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:59 pm

Think that's bolleaux Stu :lol: We import much of the wood with which to make toilet paper but most is made here.

A curiosity - we actually needed to purchase toilet rolls last week. Cath noted that the only packs left were the big packs, all/most of the 12 roll packs had gone. If you were going to stockpile then surely it would make sense to purchase the biggest packs you could? "I'd better stock up on loo rolls so I'll pick four of my usual packs and struggle to carry them rather than pick that there big one."
Image

User avatar
ScotRoutes
Posts: 5580
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:56 am
Location: Cairngorms
Contact:

Re: Self Isolation

Post by ScotRoutes » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:23 pm

FWIW I did our usual weekly shop in Aldi yesterday and everything was normal other than a lack of hand gel*

* and walnuts as it happens but that's probably unrelated.

User avatar
K1100T
Posts: 407
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:36 am
Contact:

Re: Self Isolation

Post by K1100T » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:27 pm

Saw bog roll on the shelves for the first time in a week, been in multiple supermarkets and all have been emptied. Also a lack of pasta, and no bread flour to be seen, a really eclectic mix of stockpiling going on.
I like beer. 🍻

User avatar
faustus
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:30 pm
Location: Newbury

Re: Self Isolation

Post by faustus » Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:28 pm

sean_iow wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:12 pm
faustus wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:39 pm
Just putting the dampers on any fear of taps running dry. I work for a water company (not in any treatment works or processes though), and water and wastewater services going off is most definitely not on the cards.
And I'm a designer in the water industry, I know how close we've been to the water going off for large areas in the past on more than one occasion. The detailed plans rely on people (contractors) physically doing things which they can't do if they are at home? We've had standpipes and bottled water being delivered for days before locally just because a single reservoir failed.
faustus wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:39 pm
The sites don't run themselves for sure, but there are detailed contingency and emergency plans ready to be bought in for this kind of thing, and there are established contingencies.
You are clearly in management :wink:

I'm not singling out the water industry, I've worked on power distribution and gas schemes as well, all of the networks 'just' about hold together most of the time. It doesn't take much to tip them over the edge. Years of massive under-investment and asset stripping as they get sold form one foreign investor to anther hasn't left them in the best state.

I live within walking distance of a river so I'll be able to sneak down under the cover of darkness each night with my filter and get the next days supply :grin:
Definitely NOT in management! :lol: I agree the networks are creaky most of the time, and it's in hot weather high demand when it's got close to failure recently. Still, don't think taps'll be off.

On bog roll - we also needed some and the only stuff left was the recycled stuff we normally get, so it's stockpiling to luxuriously soft and strong standards around here... :roll:

Post Reply