New bivvy bag for anyone on a budget?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

New bivvy bag for anyone on a budget?

Post by thenorthwind »

Plain or crinkle cut sir?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-englan ... p-homeless

Probably even louder than cuben, but considerably cheaper.

In all seriousness, great idea.
johnnystorm

Re: New bivvy bag for anyone on a budget?

Post by johnnystorm »

A great idea or a story that heaps shame on our nation?

If the best we can do to help the homeless is give them a bivi made of crisp packets we really are in the sub standard.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Exactly.....!!!

(the mark of a great civilisation is...... ???)

And DON’T get me going on litter.... I don’t give a toss about what the GDP is or is not, how we are the 5th richest country etc. etc.
With so much litter strewn about the real message is most definitely sub-standard..

BUT just being aware of that may do something ?
RIP

Post by RIP »

X_X

OK. So that's the nightwear sorted. For the down and out lounge lizard about town in the daytime I offer a jumper made out of Pringles boxes as a substitute for a, er, Pringle jumper. When thirsty they could knock up a brew in a Kettle packet, and maybe amuse themselves with a toy constructed from a Hula Hoop container.

They obviously haven't read the myriad comments on here about condensation too.

Hopefully there will be some crisp crumbs left in the packets to feed a few of the hungry.

Er, "no", it's Ritz crackers.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

whilst its meant to help it wont really and a metalised survival bag costs a tenner or thereabouts anyway and would be just as clammy and moist .
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

johnnystorm wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:09 am A great idea or a story that heaps shame on our nation?
Well, both.
johnnystorm wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:09 am If the best we can do to help the homeless is give them a bivi made of crisp packets we really are in the sub standard.
True. Might I ask what you're doing to help the homeless?
Lazarus wrote: Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:21 pm whilst its meant to help it wont really and a metalised survival bag costs a tenner or thereabouts anyway and would be just as clammy and moist .
Same question.

If you're doing something positive to help the homeless, that's great, but slating other people's attempts to help seems like f**k all use from where I'm sat.

Now where's that Panda?
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I would love to be relentlessly positive about the intervention but unfortunately its a crap idea irrespective of how much or how little assistance i give the homeless.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I'll admit I don't have a direct debit to Shelter or similar but when I taught I encouraged my form group to collect together parcels of essentials so that the local homeless had something nice for Christmas and at my current work we do something similar.

I also made sure that in the recent election I voted for a party that might do something about the plight of those less fortunate. Can't win em all eh?

I'd like to think said items would be better received than a blanket made of crisp packets.

I guess there should be praise for people making an effort but the time and effort could be used to better effect. Personally I don't know how I could look a rough sleeper in the eye and hand them those crispy Bivi bags.
RIP

Post by RIP »

"look them in the eye"- Have read further and apparently the ten they handed out in Hastings were gratefully received. She also says she puts holes in to stop condensation so I slightly retract my comment about that. It's obviously well intentioned but still doesn't feel right - I can't help my initial reaction of it seeming rather crass somehow.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
holdsteady

Post by holdsteady »

this whole concept fills me full of terror after many years ago reading a story that has stuck with me about an athlete who badly scratched their eyeball after using a crisp packet to mop their brow post-race
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

If you just used hula hoop packets would it be classed as a hooped bivi ?
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I have a jacket up for sale in the classifieds. Gonna throw all the money (might keep back the price of postage if I cant ride down and pass it on in person) to a Masjid (some call it mosque) project run by one of the imams of Birmigham for the homeless....