HT550 for a tour ??

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ton

HT550 for a tour ??

Post by ton »

if you were to mark a map with the furthest east, north and western points on the HT550 route, would it be a decent route to do as a tour using road to cut out the roughest and hike a bike sections?

I have done the WHW as a tour, so that is fine, I have done the stuff from bridge of balgie round loch lyon, so that is fine
and the roads up the northern loop look vaguely exciting.

so any advice would be greatly appreciated. and advice on which tracks would be ok on big tyred tourers.
padonbike

Re: HT550 for a tour ??

Post by padonbike »

I did once look at creating a route that stuck as close to the HT550, but went on the road.
This was before the invention of gravel bikes, so road means road.
https://www.strava.com/routes/13580284
ton

Post by ton »

I will have a good look at that. thanks very much.
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

I love plotting routes! Here's a version that avoids all the toughest pushing bits either with a road or easier offroad alternative keeping the riding at a maximum whilst on a tourer. The only bad thing is you miss out on Ben Alder, Bealach Horn, Ledmore traverse and Fisherfield, which are stunning to travel through but would be hard work without a mountain bike.

https://www.strava.com/routes/24220670

I'd be happy enough doing this on my tourer/gravel/cyclocross/road bike with 40mm ish tyres.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Craig, just looked at your route and the crossing of Loch Loyne presumably is dependent upon very low water levels no? :wink:

Normal conditions -

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Oh yeah, I had been meaning to say that but got distracted and didn't! :oops:

If you do it in September/October you should be good...mostly lovely tarmac either side of the loch too.

Otherwise carry on along Loch Cluanie by main road till you get to the turn off towards Loch Loyne.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah - they draw down the water levels in September each year. Contact the Tomdoun Inn for an update.

I also heard that one of the bridges had collapsed recently (within the past 2-3 years). If the water is very low, it's still possible to do the route.

ImagePICT3460 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr

ImageNorth Bridge by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

Think the Tomdoun shut a few years ago, sadly. I'd imagine the Cluanie Inn would have an idea too though.