Face Masks.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mariner

Face Masks.

Post by Mariner »

Anyone got one they use and how practical are they?

In anticipation of a mass start event in April, that usually attracts some 400 riders, not being cancelled it may or may not be a precaution depending on how things develop. My chosen mask, at random by revues, is on forward order only. It is a general mask with MOD spec filtering and not specifically sports rated so don’t know how practical it will be on a bike. If required I would only see it being used while mingling with other riders at the start not during a ride.
Oh and the gym which is always full of unhealthy people hacking away.

I suppose a cycle pollution mask is the closest thing so has anyone used one cycling in a city and how restrictive are they? Judging by the complaints of cyclists speeding it does not seem to slow them down. The solitary nature of bikebacking should not really require a mask but you can’t always avoid coming into contact with others in shops supermarkets or pubs and travelling to and from by train or indeed mass start events.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
PaulB2

Re: Face Masks.

Post by PaulB2 »

Official advice is don't bother, you're better off with hand sanitiser.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51729647
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Masks are really only any use to stop you spreading the disease to others by sneezing/coughing, and to lessen the chances of you touching your mouth/nose/eyes after coming into contact with others. They won't provide proper protection unless it's rated for aerosol-sized particles and even then only if you've been face fitted for it and are clean shaven at all times when wearing it.

If you're genuinely concerned about getting infected off something like a group start event you best precaution would be to have a small bottle of hand sanitiser to use every time you take off your gloves and put them back on.
atk

Post by atk »

PaulB2 wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:23 pm Official advice is don't bother, you're better off with hand sanitiser.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51729647
... or actually washing your hands as it says in the video, on the NHS websites etc.
atk

Post by atk »

Suprised Zwift haven't offered to **cough**cash in**cough** host all this year's mass-start events...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I can't help thinking that if I were that bothered*, I'd just stay at home.

*I'm not saying that anyone shouldn't be bothered - I've no telly, I don't read papers or listen to the news, so have little idea about the level of scare-mongering that's circulating.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

In Reverse wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:36 pm only if you've been face fitted for it and are clean shaven at all times when wearing it.
Wondered how long it would take before this topic cropped up :wink:

Read somewhere that it takes 8 hours to be sized up for your mask. 'clean shaven' - well that rules out the whole BBB family then so we can stop the topic right here :smile: . Wash our hands and stop picking our noses (your own, and anyone else's presumably).
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:08 pm I can't help thinking that if I were that bothered*, I'd just stay at home.

*I'm not saying that anyone shouldn't be bothered - I've no telly, I don't read papers or listen to the news, so have little idea about the level of scare-mongering that's circulating.
About to type the same about staying at home if you’re worried.

*53 people in the UK have it out of a population of ~65 million, so I’m not worried about it
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

voodoo_simon wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:15 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:08 pm I can't help thinking that if I were that bothered*, I'd just stay at home.

About to type the same about staying at home if you’re worried.

*53 people in the UK have it out of a population of ~65 million, so I’m not worried about it
*it's fifty odd positive tests for it so far tbf. The number of people who have it is probably several thousand...
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Needs to be FFP3 standard or don’t waste your money.
Fit is crucial. It must have no side leak.
Wash your hands with soap and water prior to removing it.
Remove it by pulling it forward and away from your face - avoid contaminating your face with the outside of the mask.
Wash your hands again.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

lune ranger wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:00 pm Needs to be FFP3 standard or don’t waste your money.
Fit is crucial. It must have no side leak.
Wash your hands with soap and water prior to removing it.
Remove it by pulling it forward and away from your face - avoid contaminating your face with the outside of the mask.
Wash your hands again.
I wouldn’t bother full stop just now unless you are in direct contact with know/suspected cases.

Wash your hands kids!
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Would my gimp mask do? :???:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
techno

Post by techno »

whitestone wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:15 pm Would my gimp mask do? :???:
depends what filter it has bob?
techno

Post by techno »

RIP wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:12 pm
In Reverse wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:36 pm only if you've been face fitted for it and are clean shaven at all times when wearing it.
Wondered how long it would take before this topic cropped up :wink:

Read somewhere that it takes 8 hours to be sized up for your mask. 'clean shaven' - well that rules out the whole BBB family then so we can stop the topic right here :smile: . Wash our hands and stop picking our noses (your own, and anyone else's presumably).
you don't have to be clean shaven, some styles are acceptable:
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well I'm having hours (*) of fun with that diagram! I think I'm a duck's tail (**) at the moment. Quite fancy being a Villain though.

(*) hmm, OK, minutes then

(**) some uncharitable people would say duck's arse
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

techno

Post by techno »

RIP wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:45 pm Well I'm having hours (*) of fun with that diagram! I think I'm a duck's tail (**) at the moment. Quite fancy being a Villain though.

(*) hmm, OK, minutes then

(**) some uncharitable people would say duck's arse
Strange how the villain is almost a Poirot.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I'm similar Stu. With being muslim (and maybe you being Welsh - it might work for you in a similar way) almost everytime something happened involving a muslim being an idiot - Manchester attack* and more recently that bloody idiot/idiots in London hurting elderly and/or ladies... whatever it was* - I used to feel, when for example some t**spot tried to run me off the road or was mean in some other way, that it was the BBC islamophobia effect...

Nowadays, with not really keeping up with all the crap that goes on, particluarly in forms of (BBC spread IMO) 'islamophobia type local terrorism**' it doesnt affect me on the same afternoon... If anyone turns out to be rude (or try to kill me :grin: ) I just assume they're just stabdard everyday idiots and not BBC inspired ones.

Not sure if any of that makes sense at all but yeah, not keeping up with all the BS on the media has made me a much happier lad :-bd ... On that note, yesterday whilst waiting at the dentist I both caught up somewhat on the Guardian articles about PritiPatel and saw Boris Jonson making a speech ("our NHS do such a wonderful job and keeping this country safe"... come on Boris, dont make the world puke and just carry on with your standard racist/sexist/islamophobic comments as per usual)... I wanted to slap her and go through the screen and punch him in the face (oh no... but I'm muslim... so that'd be classed as terrorism by Scotland Yard*** right :smile: the dirty so and so's)...

Now, to try abd remember them asterisks:

*not really sure what happened but do know it wasn't an islamic thing to do regardless of how it was portrayed abd the scholars in islam are in unanimous agreement.

**not sure why whenever the name comes out to be a muslim the media reports and official info automatically changes from 'and attack' to a 'terrorist attack'

*** Scotland Yard :lol: what a bunch of toshers. Last month one of the lead figures (not actually the imam but the Caller To Prayer) got stabbed in the neck whilst in congregational prayer by what seemed to be an anti-islamic far right type of lad. Simultaneuosly there was a similar sort of attack in Germany AFAIR or read.

The official reports from Scotland Yard were that they needed to point out it wasn't terrorism related :lol: (off course not, it was a muslim being attacked and not actually behindt the attacking) and the media reports were keen (again I think it was the BBC I read from but many others have a similar protocol) to point out that the incident was being treated as a 'grevious bodily harm'... Surely thats attmepted murder trying to stab someone in the jugular vein and the victim was a 70 year old elderly chap who had no connection nor knew the attacker...

Just my 2 pence but yeah, Stu, good call on no (shitty) telly nor papers to screw the head :-bd ... my Coronavirus knowledge comes mainly from a youtube channel called Medcram who seems to be an intensive care unit consultant from the US...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

my Coronavirus knowledge comes mainly from a youtube channel called Medcram
Mine mainly comes from jokes .....

A man walks into boots and walks over to a woman stood behind the counter.

"Hello, can you tell me what's good for the coronavirus virus?"

" Ammonia cleaner"

"Oh sorry, I thought you worked here"

:-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

I'm stealing that one.
RIP

Post by RIP »

I like it too - good thing is it's multi-use. Substitute any other affliction/stain/mess for "c... v..." and you're away.

voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

The North America hand built bicycle show has been cancelled

https://bikepacking.com/news/nahbs-post ... ronavirus/

Delayed edit - Mountain Mayhem also cancelled...
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Stu's definitely slipping, Shafiq just called him Welsh :shock: that's tantamount to accusing him of being a super spreader :-bd
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

He got upset when I called him a Yorkshire man :shock:
Karl

Post by Karl »

Just asked one of the leading UK scientist on Corona virus (also known as the wife). Face masks are generally only required for people who are infected or in close contact to infected people. Only surgical masks required as transmission is likely to be droplet.

Anyway that's all I'm saying. Let's get back to riding in the hills away from all these infective folk.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

pistonbroke wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:53 pm Stu's definitely slipping, Shafiq just called him Welsh :shock: that's tantamount to accusing him of being a super spreader :-bd
My bad... Yes. I did think which might work better 'peaksPerson' or Welsh. I figured Welsh are more 'unlikeable' by the authorities (Scotland Yard, Boris (the twit), James (Cameron) that be so went with that :lol:

Like Karl said though. Giid reason to go back to riding bikes, in the hills, on yer own without massive groupstarts with lots of coughy people :lol:

Thanks btw for getting your wifes input on here. Who'd have thought Bearbones forum has (almost) direct access to The WHO