DD Hammocks tarps

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ChrisS

DD Hammocks tarps

Post by ChrisS »

Has anyone used DD Hammocks? Looking at the superlight small, which seems bigger, lighter and cheaper than the competition, so wondering if there's a catch...

https://www.ddhammocks.com/product/dd_superlight_tarp_s
Bearlegged

Re: DD Hammocks tarps

Post by Bearlegged »

I've got one. I suspect the limits of its usefulness are dictated by my ability to put it up (or not) rather than its quality (which seems fine and dandy).
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I think the main difference between it and the Alpkit version is that the Alpkit has a couple of extra lifters along the centre of the minor axis. Whether that's important to you is another matter and probably depends on what pitches you prefer to use.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

It’s decent stuff, I’ve had quite a few bits and pieces from them over the years.
They had issues with a batch of camo tarps once (probably 10 or 12 years ago) but quickly resolved it and replaced any affected tarps
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

whitestone wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:01 pm I think the main difference between it and the Alpkit version is that the Alpkit has a couple of extra lifters along the centre of the minor axis. Whether that's important to you is another matter and probably depends on what pitches you prefer to use.
I confess I've only ever attempted to pitch a tarp once (and that didn't go that well). What's the benefit of the extra lifters?
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

Thanks @Shewie and @landslide. Sounds like it's worth a punt.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ChrisS wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:20 pm
whitestone wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:01 pm I think the main difference between it and the Alpkit version is that the Alpkit has a couple of extra lifters along the centre of the minor axis. Whether that's important to you is another matter and probably depends on what pitches you prefer to use.
I confess I've only ever attempted to pitch a tarp once (and that didn't go that well). What's the benefit of the extra lifters?
They allow you to attach a line to "lift" the tarp to give you extra room. Have a search on the review part of this site and look for "tarp", Stu did a series of posts on how to create various pitches. Best to figure out what you want/works for you and practice those one or two.

Note the "bend" in the ridge line in this shot. That's a line from a lifter to the handlebars of my bike.

Here's another one, this time to create a dropped tail on an Alpkit Rig3.5

Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I use an enormous DD tarp for setting up an outside classroom for my kids when we do our homeschool forest days.
It’s super sturdy and well made.
It also has loads of lifters on the body of the tarp, but maybe the smaller ones don’t.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ChrisS

Post by ChrisS »

whitestone wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:28 pm They allow you to attach a line to "lift" the tarp to give you extra room. Have a search on the review part of this site and look for "tarp", Stu did a series of posts on how to create various pitches. Best to figure out what you want/works for you and practice those one or two.
Got it thanks - and cheers for adding the pics 😀