Adventure Travel Film Festival: I don't want to go but ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

Adventure Travel Film Festival: I don't want to go but ...

Post by TheBrownDog »

I wasn't keen at all, mostly because I struggle with the idea of making films while having adventures. Please, if that's your thaaang, don't get me wrong. I love watching your films - I do it an awful lot and it enriches my sad suburban life in ways you will never know - but I just don't understand how you can, say, film yourself riding down a big ol' hill, or up one, and then having to go back and get the camera. That would interrupt the flow for me., and the point of the ride would be a bit lost. Just me.

But I digress.

Last week My Very Active Girlfriend bullied me in spending more than £100 of my very hard earned English pounds to go to this thing, : https://www.adventuretravelfilmfestival ... -festival/ and that seems an awful lot to a bloke who doesn't like paying for a camp site. So it better be bloody good.

Has anyone been to previous editions? What can I expect so I can prepare my whinging topics and arguments of why we should leave and go sleep in a barn instead?
I'm just going outside ...
Cyclepeasant

Re: Adventure Travel Film Festival: I don't want to go but ...

Post by Cyclepeasant »

I am also interested too.
I have read Lois books. Her and her husband Vince are adventure bikers. Met them at ace cafe and various book shops.
Originally the festival was in London...not my cup of meths!
But,now at Cotswolds ,it is more appealing.
Unfortunately,non of my biking mates have been either,there again,none of them are bivvie bikers.
All soft hotel/BnB types. (Read ,loaded!) :lol:
Insanity over vanity
composite

Post by composite »

I haven't been to this event specifically, but I did volunteer for the Banff Mountain Film Festival a few years ago when it came through Birmingham. I suspect it would be quite similar and I enjoyed it a lot more than I was expecting honestly. I seem to remember thinking that I would have been happy to pay for it.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Have been to Banff, European climbing festivals and plenty of lectures* Have always enjoyed them, come away more motivated to ‘get outside’, which can only be a good thing.

Can’t see what’s not to like, beer, films etc :-bd

*Alan Hinkes is well worth seeing if he ever tours again as is Maddie Cope (my wife really enjoyed her lecture as she doesn’t even climb!)
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

I saw one in Harrogate a couple of years ago. Can't remember the exact event or series. I share your cynicism but saw some great films and shorts which made it a thoroughly enjoyable night.

As with anything like this personal tastes are a significant factor (subjects, rather than the whole concept of adventure feels) and some films will be "better" than others (script, narration, filming etc etc) but I'd go again. £100 seems steep but the wife gave me and the lad tickets so not sure how much our one night event was (and not followed your link).

As ever, value is also in the eye (pocket) of the beholder.