inReach SOS use

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Asposium

inReach SOS use

Post by Asposium »

Here in New Zealand needed to use my inReach for the benefit of a rider who had slipped, fallen, and broken her ankle.

A PLB had been activated; however, no way of knowing if the distress beacon had been received.

Pressed the SOS on the inReach mini and the thing went mad for 20 seconds.

Distress was activated.

GEOS called my emergency contact in the UK, and, in her words scared the crap of her.

Couple of minutes later receive a message saying the distress had been received and rescue being organised.

Moments later receive a message from a real person asking for further information

We have a conversation whereby I explain the situation.
He advises help is on the way, and I request confirmation that I can continue (rider had two others with her)
I depart
As riding up the hill can hear a helicopter approaching up the valley.

It works
Alpinum

Re: inReach SOS use

Post by Alpinum »

Thanks for sharing.
Whilst nothing new, it's always good to hear/read about such situations.
I know of a few SOS stories with SPOT and one with InReach that sound very familiar - thankfully all went well in those cases, yet some cases it was hours until help came - due to the severe conditions - the very reason the persons needed help...

Also a display of how important two way comm is.

But lets not forget that help can't always get to you before you die.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Thought you might have just popped a 'soft' sticker on her forehead and ridden off?* :wink:

*yes, flippant I know. I'm only jolking or am I?
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Thanks very much for sharing Asposium.

Cant put a price to life (is it not). Cost of the device, activation and then subscription all paid off within one single press and all the more priceless that its potentially someone else's life you've just saved. Well done indeed sir and lots of pats on the back needed...

:-bd bravo (or whatever the pinnacle of English congratulatory terms is: one of them)...

:-bd :-bd :-bd
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:59 am Thought you might have just popped a 'soft' sticker on her forehead and ridden off?* :wink:
Harsh :lol:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

In all seriousness I do sometimes think about getting one, could just turn the stupid dial a little?

Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Cant put a price to life
But you can and "society" usually does. It's almost impossible not to in a world of finite resources.

WRT the Inreach, is there anyway to know whether that was what called up the chopper or whether it was the PLB that you mention had already been activated?
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

BigdummySteve wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:41 pm In all seriousness I do sometimes think about getting one, could just turn the stupid dial a little?
Definately.
Like when wearing an avalanche air bag and -beacon you can't be burried and die from avalanches any more.

I go full gung ho with my InReach. Best experience ever. So free, so happy.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Cheeky Monkey wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:33 pm
Cant put a price to life
But you can and "society" usually does. It's almost impossible not to in a world of finite resources.

WRT the Inreach, is there anyway to know whether that was what called up the chopper or whether it was the PLB that you mention had already been activated?
'price to life'... Yeah I was thinking of what you said whilst I wrote it... Let me rephrase: 'life is priceless'... :smile:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I actually meant to type’turn the stupid dial DOWN a little. I do wonder if I had one that I might take more risks and thus be more likely to need it?

Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

BigdummySteve wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:07 pm I actually meant to type’turn the stupid dial DOWN a little. I do wonder if I had one that I might take more risks and thus be more likely to need it?
I was just being silly. Hopefully we assess the risks without such a 'help' in mind.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Cant put a price to life

First, the PLB was on the floor under tree cover, I moved away to have a clear view of the sky.
Second, I was able to chat with GEOS about the nature of the accident.
Third, GEOS told my emergency contact (in the UK) help had been dispatched

So no, I cannot guarantee my inReach triggered the helicopter
But I can be 100% sure the SOS was received; the PLB (or a spot) cannot say that.
I was able to message my emergency contact and reassure her I was okay, apparently GEOS did the same once my message was received.
I told GEOS (and by association the rescuers) the nature of her injuries, that they were not life threatening, she was alert, not in shock, there was her husband and two bike to evac, that she had no drug allergies
All this information was known before SAR arrived; why? Because I told them in a text conversation from the scene.
A PLB has a use, especially if the type with the local homing beacon.

I know I bang on about inReach; however, I feel justified now.
It costs little to do the right thing, and might make a change to their life.

Sorry Stu, didn’t have any stickers.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

BigdummySteve wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:07 pm I actually meant to type’turn the stupid dial DOWN a little. I do wonder if I had one that I might take more risks and thus be more likely to need it?
The lady slipped on a really easy piece of track, there was nothing technically changing.
It was merely poor judgment at the wrong moment.
We’ve all done it

I bust my frame later on the same track. Quit the event (bike unsafe to ride) and now on the plane to Manchester. Hopefully Specialized UK will warranty the frame.

Sometimes sh1t happens to nice people.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Hopefully Specialized UK will warranty the frame.
Better not tell them you were "racing" then :wink:
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

pistonbroke wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:39 am
Hopefully Specialized UK will warranty the frame.
Better not tell them you were "racing" then :wink:
Good thing the event isn’t a race. :lol:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Asposium wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:46 am
Cant put a price to life

First, the PLB was on the floor under tree cover, I moved away to have a clear view of the sky.
Second, I was able to chat with GEOS about the nature of the accident.
Third, GEOS told my emergency contact (in the UK) help had been dispatched

So no, I cannot guarantee my inReach triggered the helicopter
But I can be 100% sure the SOS was received; the PLB (or a spot) cannot say that.
I was able to message my emergency contact and reassure her I was okay, apparently GEOS did the same once my message was received.
I told GEOS (and by association the rescuers) the nature of her injuries, that they were not life threatening, she was alert, not in shock, there was her husband and two bike to evac, that she had no drug allergies
All this information was known before SAR arrived; why? Because I told them in a text conversation from the scene.
A PLB has a use, especially if the type with the local homing beacon.

I know I bang on about inReach; however, I feel justified now.
It costs little to do the right thing, and might make a change to their life.

Sorry Stu, didn’t have any stickers.
Interesting. I was curious, not critical. As you were unless a panda is needed ;-)