HT550 over 7 riding days

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AlanG

Re: HT550 over 7 riding days

Post by AlanG »

If you start in Tyndrum but need to cut your ride short there’s a way back that you may not have thought of. On a recce trip last August I took the train from Strathcarron to Kyle of Lochalsh, you could also catch this train at Achnashellach or even Garve near Contin. From there I rode over the bridge onto Skye and down to the ferry terminal at Armadale (23 miles). The ferries to Malaig are pretty frequent and the crossing only takes 40 mins. From Malaig it was one train all the way back to Tyndrum (via Fort William). This journey is just over three hours and is probably one of the most scenic train rides in Britain. I was able to buy the ticket on the train and there was space for my bike despite it being the summer holidays. For me bailing turned into a nice day out, from Strathcarron to Tyndrum took around 7-8 hours with a café stop for lunch.
fatbikephil

Re: HT550 over 7 riding days

Post by fatbikephil »

http://torridonblog.sais.gov.uk/2020/03/big-vistas/
Good pics of the new section and into the great wilderness (with a wee dusting of snow!)
First pic is Loch a Bhraoin, the route follows the far shore, great wilderness in the background which is where the route heads
Third pic shows the route climbing out of Loch Broom to the new power station site at Loch a Bhraoin
Fifth pic shows the hills the route passes on the northern loop