attaching dry bags to the bike

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Davesmate

attaching dry bags to the bike

Post by Davesmate »

Hi all, newbie here so firstly hello and thanks for having me. I've bivvy'd and wild camped a few times over the years, just never put it together with the bike so looking forward to getting some bikepacking in this year. I've had an alpkit gourdon 20 for a whille and like it. I've just oredered a couple of the airlock extra dry bags thinking I'll attach one to the bars and one to the seatpost. My question is what to attach them with? I was thinking some sort of buckled velcro strap but can't seem to find anything that fits the bill. What do you guys use?
Mike

Re: attaching dry bags to the bike

Post by Mike »

ul love bikepacking.... well iv brought a wildcat harness n revelate seat pack now but when i started out i found the alpkit dry bags worked super i fixed a 12ltr to my bars using either bungies or straps with those no slip clips on. and again the dry bags work under the seat post but u need the ones with the side loops and bottom loop that way u can secure the bag to the seat post and under the saddle
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

You can get the straps yetiman mentions for a few quid from most outdoor shops, think they come in two packs, had mine for years.
gairym

Post by gairym »

the dry-bag/strap set-up is exactly what i used when i was getting started - works fine for getting started.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

I got straps dirt cheap from ebay, which are excellent
Davesmate

Post by Davesmate »

Thanks all. I went for the airlok extra because they have the "lugs" sewn on to make them easier to strap on.

Jamiep - you got a link? If not what should I type in the search box as everything I try brings up stuff either not what I want or rediculouisly expensive.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Davesmate wrote:Jamiep - you got a link? If not what should I type in the search box as everything I try brings up stuff either not what I want or rediculouisly expensive.
I'll dig out the ebay seller after work
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

May the bridges you burn light your way
Tanglefist

Post by Tanglefist »

If you search ebay for 'webbing straps' it will have loads of results, the necessary buckles too. Minimal stitching may be required. Alternatively, if you've got an old backpack kicking about, you can cannibalize it for the materials.
Shalarim

Post by Shalarim »

I just picked up a pair of Gelert Secure straps for a couple of quid to secure my Airlok Extras through the lugs. (So useful)
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Davesmate wrote:
Jamiep - you got a link? If not what should I type in the search box as everything I try brings up stuff either not what I want or rediculouisly expensive.
Simple, cheap but work fine straps/buckets from ebay seller ' taps-fishing'. I hope that I haven't got that wrong end of the stick and this is what you are after. The straps don't slide loose.

Rather than buy a harness for the bar bag, I popped it on top on some old bars ends that are inline of the shifters and angled down to form a platform. It doesn't bob around at all
Davesmate

Post by Davesmate »

Thanks. That's exactly what I was after
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Heres some shots of how I attach airlok dry bags using nylon straps - for the seat bag, the secret is to pack it really tight - I put my tent, sleeping bag and what ever clothes will fit in the rear bag and stuff it really tight.

heres a close up of how the 1st strap goes through bag and saddle rails prior to tightening - I've found this way gives the best stability :

heres the bike on its side - you can see the bag is staying put pretty well :

I use one of those handle bar extenders for lights/computer etc to help keep the front bag in place - similar idea to the bar ends in the previous post. The front bag just has my sleeping mat and clothes so doesn't carry much weight.
Last edited by rudedog on Wed May 08, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I've previosly tried this way of attaching a dry bag to the seat without much success but I notice you don't put a strap round the seatpost, maybe that's where i've been going wrong, I will give your method a go.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I wouldn't have thought including a strap round the seat post would make it any less stable, just make sure you have packed the bag as tight as possible.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Not less stable, made my legs rub.