Waterproof shorts / 3/4 / trousers recommendations

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jonathan

Waterproof shorts / 3/4 / trousers recommendations

Post by Jonathan »

I normally don't bother with waterproof shorts that much but I'm riding the Highland 550 in mid April at a leisurely pace and think a bit more protection for when it goes pear shaped would be a good idea. I've got some Endura waterproof shorts with a draw string waist but I don't particularly like them and they are getting on a bit. Does anyone have any recommendations please?
jam bo

Re: Waterproof shorts / 3/4 / trousers recommendations

Post by jam bo »

I have some madison waterproof trousers with zip off lowers. Been impressed with them so far. Tempest maybe?
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

I think they are the Zenith and aren't available anymore. I was keen on them.
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

I have a pair of these.

Very impressed wore them on the one but last BB200 and they sort of worked short of a wetsuit.

They are reduced as well

https://www.freewheel.co.uk/madison-dte ... s-varcl035
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

The Madison Zenith with zip-off legs are brilliant, but do seem to have been discontinued. If you can be bothered to check a million websites different retailers do seem to have the odd pair dotted about.

I also have some alpkit ones that are good. The fabric doesn't seem like it will be that hardwearing but they do pack down very small.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Sweary Dave recently bought some 3/4 length ones which are reputed to be amongst the best there is, but quite spendy. Hopefully he'll see this and report back unless anyone else can remember the make?

I've got the alpkit trousers and they still going despite quite a lot of use in terrible conditions, couldn't say how waterprooof they are anymore.

Edit, I think the ones Dave was going to buy are these, I remembered they were made in New Zealand and there can't be that many mtb clothing makers there.

https://www.groundeffect.co.nz/products ... rain-pants
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

The Helter Skelters are brilliant. Better than the Gore shorts they replaced as they are longer and go over the knee. Top service from Ground Effect as well. Would definitely recommend.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Endura MT500 3/4 are good. I use them for MTB and commuting probably for 2/3 of the year. Good in the wet and cold and not too bad even when the mercury rises.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

I’ve been using a pair of paramo Velez Adventure Trousers, bloody good. Warm but not in the slightest bit clammy, yesterday I forded a few streams up to mid thigh and was quickly warm and comfortable again. They run large however I’m going to have to sell mine and buy the next size down. They also have Velcro ankles so keep out if the way, for Bikepacking they are possibly the perfect long trousers.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
jameso

Post by jameso »

Would definitely recommend 3/4s format for heavy rain. Covered knees feels so good compared to short shorts. I have some old Endura Heliums which though delaminated at the seat have been great in use. The benefit is the lack of trouser lower leg flappiness and faff getting on or off seems easier, plus small pack size. I just accept wet feet, long socks can cover most of what the shorts don't.
Though having said that, cheap full wp trousers with a good ankle cinch flap have made MTBing far better in recent weeks, but due to mud spray levels more than the rain.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I had a pair of the DT shorts but sadly one of the waist poppers fell off on the second wear. Other than that I liked them but I would say perhaps too warm for wet summer days.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Javi

Post by Javi »

I use 7mesh Revo 3/4. By far the best waterproofs ever had. Very good waist adjustment, pockets work and not on the way, come with drilled holes. Not the sleekest fit, super durable and reliable. Backed up by excellent customer service.
In the haunt for full wp trousers though.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

The Endura ones are a lot better than earlier versions - I think I have MT500 and MTR. Altura also good, but size down as there are generous. I wore a pair of Altura most of the way round HT, but was a bit sweaty at times.
Full WP trooz? I've got some Rab Downpour ones that are good and not too flappy - poppers at hem and part zip.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

I've got a pair of Aldi ones from a couple of years ago. A bit baggy at the top of the legs, but velcro calves and pretty hard-wearing too.

Think they were called bike commuting trousers and cost about a tenner