The story behind your BB name (and whats your usual form of address)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Re: The story behind your BB name (and whats your usual form of address)

Post by JohnClimber »

In the early days of internet forums, I joined the UKClimbing forum as my first venture in to internet forums only to find out someone got the forum name of John before me.
So I picked JohnClimber
The rest is history, although I don't climb any more and I live in Merseyside the north end of the very flat Cheshire plains, so I don't do any climbing on my bike around here either.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Have often had the same thought Shaf. Trouble is I'd now rather not confuse myself by knowing folks' 'real' names :wink: .

Reginald Iolanthe Perrin. Senior Sales Earwig at Sunshine Desserts.

My nickname everywhere else for 45 years, and real initials, is CJ. But of course I didn't get where I am today by not identifying far more with Reg, and luckily BBB isn't one of those dreadful firms that believe a chap's no good after he's 46. And of course it's a tribute to the peerless and mesmerising Leonard Rossiter. Joining here felt like Reg did after he walked back out of the sea - a new and snook-cocking life to enjoy. I've got Stu down as Doc Morrissey but that's probably not quite right :wink: .

Tim, what manner of man are you that can summon fire without flint or tinder? No wonder you have all those stoves.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
ootini

Post by ootini »

summittoppler wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:20 pm On the topic of water bottle in the back pocket (clubbing) I was a participant back in the mid/late 90's. Many a night in 051, Cream, Sankeys Soap (Stoke nights), Downton in Rhyl and I even met the Mrs in a local club in Colwyn Bay (that reads well) which was raided every weekend!
Maybe that was our early BB training for long nights and feeling cr@p next day!
:lol:
Bloody hell, that's taking me back. Downtown in Rhyl, then clubzinc... ever frequent Bartons, Broadway or the Wash in Llandudno too ?
ootini

Post by ootini »

Ootini. It's what the Jawas in Starwars shout when they're getting a bit lairy. No idea why it became my handle back in the late 90s online gaming era, but it stuck.
I'm Dave by the way.
techno

Re: Whats yer name

Post by techno »

gairym wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:21 pm I did, I did!

Such a great place (for that moment in time, for where I was at - no desire to repeat or relive those days at all)
Yeah, you could never re-live those days, it was the dogs danglies though!!! I wouldn't want to now either mate.
We have the occasional night out when something exceptional is happening (saw perc in a basement in hull about 2 years. Wow :shock: ) and sometimes blast some techno when everyone is out or asleep :-bd
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

ootini wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:45 pm
summittoppler wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:20 pm On the topic of water bottle in the back pocket (clubbing) I was a participant back in the mid/late 90's. Many a night in 051, Cream, Sankeys Soap (Stoke nights), Downton in Rhyl and I even met the Mrs in a local club in Colwyn Bay (that reads well) which was raided every weekend!
Maybe that was our early BB training for long nights and feeling cr@p next day!
:lol:
Bloody hell, that's taking me back. Downtown in Rhyl, then clubzinc... ever frequent Bartons, Broadway or the Wash in Llandudno too ?
Yes
Yes
Yes
and the one in C/Bay was Merlins! :-bd
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
jay91

Post by jay91 »

Name is Jamie but was always jay by family.
My Friend's called me Jimmy

Jay+birth year =jay91

How boring
Trying to ride bikes.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

My name's Chris and a close cycling buddy is called Chris as well. He was referred to by our mutual friends as "Young Chris" and I was "Old Chris" (as he's younger than me). This then became paraphrased into Brand New Chris/Secondhand Chris, Modern Chris/Prehistoric Chris etc, etc. Jurassic Chris was one of mine as well and I've used it as an internet handle on loads of forums.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Name's Lu, short for Ludwik.

The “Frog” name comes from a polish saying about a frog thinking he's a horse and waiting at the farriers for shoeing. It refers to someone with ideas beyond their station - small fry trying to be a big fish.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

When I first got on the internet, I worked with another Paul so I always signed my emails PaulE and I've used it as a sign in for about 25 years now.

Another ex-visitor to Bugged Out here, mostly in 1996-97. Then frequented Gatecrasher after coming to Sheffield uni in 97...
techno

Post by techno »

PaulE wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:37 pm When I first got on the internet, I worked with another Paul so I always signed my emails PaulE and I've used it as a sign in for about 25 years now.

Another ex-visitor to Bugged Out here, mostly in 1996-97. Then frequented Gatecrasher after coming to Sheffield uni in 97...
Bugged Out is of the nights I wish I'd made it to at some point. Voodoo and Atomic Jam aswell.
Gatecrasher was something to see but the music wasn't what I enjoy. Too many fucking breakdowns [-X :lol:
barney

Post by barney »

Being the shy lad I am (actually that's genuinely true) I always "hide" my identity on forums so never used my real name of Mark.

My favourite dog when I grew up was called Barney and given the fact I'm a big New Order fan I decided to use that as my forum name on all sites.
Wait for me...
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

Teetosugars.
A nod to my life in The Army..
As this was the NATO way of having a wet.
Tea, 2 Sugars, stirred 13 times. Anti-clockwise.
Real name?
Nick.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Shouldn’t you be teatwosugars?
BobCatMax

Re: Thw story behind your BB name (and whats your street name)

Post by BobCatMax »

lune ranger wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:29 am
whitestone wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:10 am From memory it was when I signed up to STW and "Bob" had already been taken, either BB hadn't started at the time or I didn't know about it. Whitestone is the name of a crag https://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=3 ... &A=Y&Z=115 on the family farm where I first started climbing, nothing more prosaic (another posh word :wink: ) than that plus a bit of consistency I suppose.

Bobcatmax - Rupert Murdoch?

Robert Maxwell
Winner!

Also, all you ex and still raving ravers I have a fantastic place for you to relive all those nights and find all those lost mixes.. (I happen to be a mod over there)

Www.themixingbowl.org (mostly sfw and not illegal torrent site)
Image Image
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

BobCatMax wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:45 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:09 am
BobCatMax wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:10 am
99% of people call me by my last name. Extra bonus points if you can figure out my famous doppelname
Is it Ján Ludvík Hyman Binyamin Hoch?
So so close
Ján Ludvík Hyman Binyamin Hoch
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I knew we had a good number of old punks but didn't know we had so many ex-ravers ... I reckon it explains a lot :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:05 am I knew we had a good number of old punks but didn't know we had so many ex-ravers ... I reckon it explains a lot :-bd
Definitely.

Who's up for ravepacking? (Awaiting copyright clearance notification from Reg)
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:56 am
BobCatMax wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:45 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:09 am
BobCatMax wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:10 am
99% of people call me by my last name. Extra bonus points if you can figure out my famous doppelname
Is it Ján Ludvík Hyman Binyamin Hoch?
So so close
Ján Ludvík Hyman Binyamin Hoch
My apologies and thanks Colin, I thought I knew everything about that fat b'stard. The years after he died were so much fun for me as a kid telling people my name. I had no idea that was his given name, I thought you were taking the mick!
Image Image
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I reckon the punks are probably just 10 years older than the ravers. Despite the outward differences at heart punks and ravers are much the same imo.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

BobCatMax wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:41 am
My apologies and thanks Colin, I thought I knew everything about that fat b'stard. The years after he died were so much fun for me as a kid telling people my name. I had no idea that was his given name, I thought you were taking the mick!
I was taking the mick with Rupert Murdoch, Robert Maxwell was the name that came to my mind.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

I still get the prize though... don’t I? :roll:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
techno

Post by techno »

BobCatMax wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:22 am Also, all you ex and still raving ravers I have a fantastic place for you to relive all those nights and find all those lost mixes.. (I happen to be a mod over there)

Www.themixingbowl.org (mostly sfw and not illegal torrent site)
:-bd ace, thanks!
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

I read a cycling book some time ago in which the writer met a rider out on the road and the guy called himself Steve The Bike Guy (it may not have been Steve) and he said if you go to any of these places locally and say Steve The Bike Guy sent you, they'll give you a discount and everyone knows me. I then lent this book to a friend at uni who had recently started riding and when he needed a new set of pedals I said to go to the local bike shop and say my name and they'd likely give him a 5% discount as they had done for other friends I'd sent that way. In response he called me AndyTheBikeGuy and when I wanted to use my first name I thought it made sense, although it now does seem a little pompous...

Andy, in case anyone was wondering...
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

techno wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:38 am
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:05 am I knew we had a good number of old punks but didn't know we had so many ex-ravers ... I reckon it explains a lot :-bd
Definitely.

Who's up for ravepacking? (Awaiting copyright clearance notification from Reg)
Bagsy not carry the speakers :grin: