The story behind your BB name (and whats your usual form of address)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: The story behind your BB name (and whats your usual form of address)

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Despite the outward differences at heart punks and ravers are much the same imo.
Most certainly. I think most sub-cultres (especially those with a nod towards anti-establishment) tend to attract those of a certain character :-bd
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Shewie wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:11 pm
techno wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:38 am
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:05 am I knew we had a good number of old punks but didn't know we had so many ex-ravers ... I reckon it explains a lot :-bd
Definitely.

Who's up for ravepacking? (Awaiting copyright clearance notification from Reg)
Bagsy not carry the speakers :grin:
Surely in bikepacking lightweight setup, a silent rave would be appropriate
gairym

Post by gairym »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:55 pm Surely in bikepacking lightweight setup, a silent rave would be appropriate
Everyone with paired Bluetooth headphones to synch the music (otherwise we'd all look silly :lol: :lol: :lol: )
gairym

Post by gairym »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:43 pm
Despite the outward differences at heart punks and ravers are much the same imo.
Most certainly. I think most sub-cultres (especially those with a nod towards anti-establishment) tend to attract those of a certain character :-bd
Totally, I think there are comparisons between the two said groups and ending up here.
RIP

Post by RIP »

techno wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:38 am ravepacking (Awaiting copyright clearance notification from Reg)
Excellent, the more the merrier, crack on :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

AndyTheBikeGuy wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:45 am I read a cycling book some time ago in which the writer met a rider out on the road and the guy called himself Steve The Bike Guy (it may not have been Steve) and he said if you go to any of these places locally and say Steve The Bike Guy sent you, they'll give you a discount and everyone knows me. I then lent this book to a friend at uni who had recently started riding and when he needed a new set of pedals I said to go to the local bike shop and say my name and they'd likely give him a 5% discount as they had done for other friends I'd sent that way. In response he called me AndyTheBikeGuy and when I wanted to use my first name I thought it made sense, although it now does seem a little pompous...

Andy, in case anyone was wondering...
Which local shop. I mighy try it and see if it works??
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Coined in the UK (motorcycle) Trials Forum. I'd recently acquired one of these:-

Ariel "Hunter Trials" 500 aka an HT 500. Me and a few mates were quite keen on letting everyone know we rode these kind of things properly rather than trailer them from one show to another hence HTrider....

I used the same name on the Thumpertalk forum so kept it for this one when I joined in '14 to save remembering another name.

Real name Phil Clarke
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

There was me thinking it was Highland Trail Rider.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Very nice Phil. :-bd Ooh have you seen this months Classic Bike?
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 6:00 pm Very nice Phil. :-bd Ooh have you seen this months Classic Bike?
A mate writes for that rag so must see if I can blag a freebie!
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:05 am I knew we had a good number of old punks but didn't know we had so many ex-ravers ... I reckon it explains a lot :-bd
Definitely.

You'll have to ride in the Sheffield area when one of the fairly regular outdoor raves is going on at Lady Canning's Plantation... Which also happens to contain bike trails and be on the peak 200
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

lune ranger wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:23 pm There was me thinking it was Highland Trail Rider.
Something tells me we’re not the only ones who thought that!
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

My forum name is a play on an urban dictionary entry.

My street name is D.Rue.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Shewie wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:11 pm Bagsy not carry the speakers :grin:
Or the generator... 🤣
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Who's up for ravepacking?
I once went to one powered by bicycles that generated power so it was all green

I did my stint but , for reasons I cannot explain, I cannot be sure exactly how much time elapsed in my shift
techno

Post by techno »

Lazarus wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:32 pm
Who's up for ravepacking?
I once went to one powered by bicycles that generated power so it was all green

I did my stint but , for reasons I cannot explain, I cannot be sure exactly how much time elapsed in my shift
That sounds erm, chemical, :lol:
I saw a cargo bike with sound system and a drum machine mounted on it at a festival years ago. That was fun.
K1100T wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:18 pm
Shewie wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 12:11 pm Bagsy not carry the speakers :grin:
Or the generator... 🤣
Or the records.
PaulE wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:04 pm
Definitely.

You'll have to ride in the Sheffield area when one of the fairly regular outdoor raves is going on at Lady Canning's Plantation... Which also happens to contain bike trails and be on the peak 200
Finding a free party would be easier paul :-bd
Wales is good for those too from what I hear....
My mates still do the odd one out on the east coast too, will shout out next time there's one happening.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Always remember coming out of shelleys in stoke to find a curtain sider parked across the front , wondering wtf was going the curtains pulled back and the prodigy started banging away , some of the best free ones were nights after quadrant park dropping down to north wales and carrying on to the next night at some New Age traveller site , as it’s been said great times but I don’t think I could do it now , seems that I have passed the torch to my daughter the state she comes home in reminds me of some good times
techno

Post by techno »

middleagedmadness wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:20 am Always remember coming out of shelleys in stoke to find a curtain sider parked across the front , wondering wtf was going the curtains pulled back and the prodigy started banging away , some of the best free ones were nights after quadrant park dropping down to north wales and carrying on to the next night at some New Age traveller site , as it’s been said great times but I don’t think I could do it now , seems that I have passed the torch to my daughter the state she comes home in reminds me of some good times
wow, that sound great. Altern 8 did something similar outside shellys too from what i've read.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_bL0hFyslg
"Directed by Jon Aldersea, this is a classic old skool rave tune. Shot in Trentham Gardens and outside Shelley's in Stoke in 1991."
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

dropping down to north wales and carrying on to the next night at some New Age traveller site
What we discoverd was the entire police force of North wales was about 50 officers so if there was enough of you all they could do was watch . I may have organised one or two small gatherings :wink:
techno

Post by techno »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:58 pm
dropping down to north wales and carrying on to the next night at some New Age traveller site
What we discoverd was the entire police force of North wales was about 50 officers so if there was enough of you all they could do was watch . I may have organised one or two small gatherings :wink:
:-bd
It's possible i might have been involved in organising a couple in my neck of the woods too. ;)
great fun!
middleagedmadness

It’s still bugging me the name of that club in Manchester I’m sure for the life of me it was kollision. But a quick google only shows the old jungle nights at wolves civic which too were good nights , also another haunt was eclipse in Coventry with Carl cox as a regular , I was about 17/18 that time at shelleys so it would have been 89/90 I’ve tried looking up to see if there was any video of it but can only find the altern8 one , maybe I’m getting confused as I saw mr flint at shelleys a couple of time’s and they were definitely Hazey nights , always remember the first time I heard Charley still giggle now
middleagedmadness

summittoppler wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:20 pm On the topic of water bottle in the back pocket (clubbing) I was a participant back in the mid/late 90's. Many a night in 051, Cream, Sankeys Soap (Stoke nights), Downton in Rhyl and I even met the Mrs in a local club in Colwyn Bay (that reads well) which was raided every weekend!
Maybe that was our early BB training for long nights and feeling cr@p next day!
:lol:
Never went 051 or cream as soon as the quad went that was it for Liverpool for us , then it was a gradual decline into reality as there weren’t any clubs that had that happy atmosphere in the club and moody atmosphere in the warehouse part
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

middleagedmadness wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:07 pm It’s still bugging me the name of that club in Manchester I’m sure for the life of me it was kollision.
Konspiracy :wink:

JT Company- Don’t Deal With Us always reminds me of that place!
Don’t think it was open that long..
Last edited by Wotsits on Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Have to say, chapeau Shaf for the most entertaining forum topic we've had for some time. *
Tim, what manner of man are you that can summon fire without flint or tinder? No wonder you have all those stoves.
Thank you Reg. I was starting to wonder if I was the only one.

* With the exception of BDS' BAM post last weekend. Really. Steve. Nuts.
I'm just going outside ...
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

TheBrownDog wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:04 pm Have to say, chapeau Shaf for the most entertaining forum topic we've had for some time.

Gone off at a bit of a tangent though hasn't it! I feel a bit left out having been on the metal head side of things :cool: