The story behind your BB name (and whats your usual form of address)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Thw story behind your BB name (and whats your street name)

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My middle name is Norman. Some folk call me Stuart and some call me Norm - so Bearbonesnorm.

When I first joined the 'internet' I was Satannorm. My ex was quite insane and also into what I'd consider to be hippydipshit and new age type bollox. I became a satanist to upset her, hence the name. Obviously worked.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:39 am Shaf, what's a 'street name'? Is that the one you were given by your parents / is on your cheque book or one like rappers give themselves, you know Ezee eze or summat? I'm a country boy, I don't know much about this street stuff. I didn't see tarmac until I was 17.
Lol... it was easier to call it street name as it seemed to encompass all other forms of what your otherwise known as... Maybe it was cos i started the thread whilst on 4 hours sleep (1400 til 1730) after a night shift on Thursday or maybe cos I was trying to be a bit rushy whilst I got my bike working to be 'street worthy' again... dunno...

One thing I do know though is that I really want that Independent Fabrication in the classifieds :grin:
FLV

Re: The story behind your BB name (and whats your street name)

Post by FLV »

FLV, real name Dave

FLV is an acronim of fetchez la vache, from a silly scene in a silly film from years ago. Cant recall why i used it, no link there at all.

https://youtu.be/qSUQNv78VQA
redefined_cycles

lune ranger wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:39 am Luneranger on account of thinking it up whilst living on the banks of the River Lune in Lancashire many moons ago.
I’ve never been cool enough to have a street name... :geek: but I’d like it to have been Razr Munky :ugeek:
Luke... How cool. I remember riding past said river with the family in tow last year or earlier... Thought to myself - didn't know you lived in the deep south at that time and when I found out I discounted my hypothesis - that, 'I wonder if Lune Ranger monitors or frequents these here hills and banks. Then I thought, 'must open thread to find out'... But it never happened... :geek:
redefined_cycles

psling wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:45 am
metalheart wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:34 am
apparently this is a recognised "thing" and has a medical name
Old age?
:lol:

What freaks me out is when people start talking to you as they obviously know you and I just go WTF are you? This happened in a car en route to a meeting (in Tongue). I had to wait for the other person in the car to call her by her name for me to work it out... :oops:
"Old age" you're not wrong! :lol: And yes, I know exactly what you mean. I sometimes feel like I come over as arrogant or rude when I don't acknowledge people I actually know quite well which happens a lot especially when they are out of their usual environment :oops:
This happens to me all the time... I also forget names of school and college friends (occassionally faces too) and have to work real hard not to let on... I'm 41 and 6 months (according to some pension statement which arrived yesterday telling me I'm on target for £16 PA...
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:15 am
lune ranger wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:39 am Luneranger on account of thinking it up whilst living on the banks of the River Lune in Lancashire many moons ago.
I’ve never been cool enough to have a street name... :geek: but I’d like it to have been Razr Munky :ugeek:
Luke... How cool. I remember riding past said river with the family in tow last year or earlier... Thought to myself - didn't know you lived in the deep south at that time and when I found out I discounted my hypothesis - that, 'I wonder if Lune Ranger monitors or frequents these here hills and banks. Then I thought, 'must open thread to find out'... But it never happened... :geek:
It was nice at the time - glad I’m not there now - I think we’d be living on the roof and waiting to be rescued :sad:
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Shewie

Re: Whats yer name

Post by Shewie »

techno wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:11 am Good idea shaf. I'm usually andy.
Edit: Oh yeah the explanation. Techno comes from my musical obsession and mail is a bastardisation of my surname. Should have probably just gone for techno thinking about it....
Good man, did you ever make it to Orbit in Morley back in the day?
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

You now how your mind goes blank when suddenly asked for a password and use name well that's what happened when I signed up for BB.
I usually have a list in my head of bon mot that could be used for things like this but the retrieval system seems to go down when needed.
Anyway there I was on my third Marin bike and I used to do a lot of sailing.
How dull. :oops:
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
ton

Post by ton »

it is just my name, with a Y removed.
ton.jpg
(90.79 KiB) Downloaded 1081 times
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

My Dad had it off with my Mum and I was the result. They were given a bit of paper and told to write a name on it. For some reason they scribbled David.

But no David can make it far without becoming a Dave. I’m not sure when it happened.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

On the name retrieval thing... I know some folk who are just scarily good at it, including a guy I used to work for in a bike shop. He could remember just about every customer by name, which is a great skill to have when you meet folk out and about as it would encourage them back to the shop. It could also get bloody annoying if you were out with him at somewhere like Glentress as he'd constantly stop to chat to folk 😂
techno

Post by techno »

Shewie wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:50 am
Edit: Oh yeah the explanation. Techno comes from my musical obsession and mail is a bastardisation of my surname. Should have probably just gone for techno thinking about it....
Too right!!! I went quite a few times when it was at the after dark. From late 99 till just before it closed. Had some mind bending nights there, Andy Weatherall (RIP. he was smoking a cigar wearing a leather pilots jacket if I remember right) surgeon, Sims, umek (the first time he played). The orbit closing is what spurred me and my mates to start our night in Hull.

In reverse is a fellow techno head, went to the orbit too.

Do you still go raving?

Edit: some of these might be familiar. https://mixcloud.com/maily/maily-the-yo ... onnection/
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

FLV is an acronim of fetchez la vache, from a silly scene in a silly film from years ago. Cant recall why i used it, no link there at all.
You're winning so far, IMHO.

I've been TheBrownDog or TBD since just after the internet got invented. Back in Oz, the most common name for a domestic cat is "Cat" and similarly there are a lot of dogs just called "Dog". When a dog came into my life in the mid-90s I wanted him to stand out from the pack, so called him Brown. He was brown. His name slowly evolved into The Brown Dog and I got stuck with the handle.

Otherwise, there are some who call me ...... Tim.

* waits patiently for the penny to drop
I'm just going outside ...
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Summittoppler as I love toppling summits! I've used this username for many many years now so looks like I'm sticking with it, so I'll keep bagging them summits.
My YouTube username is Jefbricks, cos my name is Jeff and I was a bricklayer before I started teaching it, but I do still do the odd job now and then :-bd
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
belugabob

Post by belugabob »

Well, I have a subtle but definite bulge on my forehead, just above the hairline. My wife referred to it as my "knowledge bump" as she thinks it where my skull has become deformed by the excess amount of strange (and often useless) information that I have stored away.

Fast forward a few years from her designation of said bump, and a friend decided that my head resembled that of a beluga whale - it kind of stuck, and turned out to be the basis of a web domain/email address that was available and easily remembered.

That was back in 1998, and now it's not unusual for certain friends to call me 'beluga' or 'Mr beluga', but most people call me Bob (apart from my sister, who still calls me Robert)

I am, however, not 'street' enough to have a street name
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FLV wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:13 am FLV, real name Dave

https://youtu.be/qSUQNv78VQA
I remember both of your names from mlehworld.

Scotroutes - I have a fascination with old routes, roads, tracks etc. and I'm in Scotland. I was starting to write lots of them into a blog so choose Scotroutes as the name of the blog.

My previous well-kent persona was druidh. This goes back a long way to some of my first dabbling with the Internet. Druidh (pronounced "drooie" as in Inverdruie) is the Scottish Gaelic word for a magician and was chosen because I used to play tricks on my young daughter.

I then bought a Ti MTB frame from China and removed all of the crappy decals which left it looking a bit bare. I had some new ones made up as "druidh" but in a Celtic font. I posted a photo of it on STW and some wag thought it looked like "onion" so both the bike and I are often referred to by that name too.

Last edited by ScotRoutes on Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
gairym

Post by gairym »

I did, I did!

Such a great place (for that moment in time, for where I was at - no desire to repeat or relive those days at all)
gairym

Post by gairym »

techno wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 11:53 am
Too right!!! I went quite a few times when it was at the after dark. From late 99 till just before it closed. Had some mind bending nights there, Andy Weatherall (RIP. he was smoking a cigar wearing a leather pilots jacket if I remember right) surgeon, Sims, umek (the first time he played). The orbit closing is what spurred me and my mates to start our night in Hull.

Do you still go raving?

Edit: some of these might be familiar. https://mixcloud.com/maily/maily-the-yo ... onnection/
BB-ex-ravers unite!
redefined_cycles

however, not 'street' enough to have a street name
:lol: does your sister call you Robert on the streets and them there lanes... Then it could potentially be your street name (and maybe even Bob :grin: )
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Slightly OT on the name retrieval slant.

I remember a story about a gentleman's outfitters back in the late 1980s, probably on Savile Row, who gave their customers "loyalty cards". The cards had an RFID chip in them, basically the same idea as the anti-theft tags, and they had a reader subtly installed at the doorway. When a returning customer walked in their name and purchase history (in reverse order) popped up on the monitor behind the counter so whoever was there could greet them with: "Good morning Mr ..., how are you today?" and then casually ask how about their most recent purchase.

As for matching user names on here and real life, I've a few "requests to follow" on Strava that are awaiting my approval, I think they originate from here but I've no idea if they are or not or just some stalker that's picked me at random :lol:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Fat tyre kicker was/is my name on the Uk fat bike forum, as with
Others it just came to me at the time, I was bigger then (19+stone)
Just built a fat bike at the time which I still have hence the name.
I reused it on here so it was easy to remember, most people use
Ftk to save typing strain....
Anyway it's Peter, Pete or Maz ( from last name) :-bd
techno

Post by techno »

gairym wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:22 pm

Do you still go raving?

Edit: some of these might be familiar. https://mixcloud.com/maily/maily-the-yorkshire-connection/
BB-ex-ravers unite!
I found the techno scene that I experienced to have a similar ethos to this place. A very broad mix of people who are fanatical about something but don't take themselves too seriously. They may initially appear a bit weird but are actually incredibly welcoming, friendly and helpful. :-bd
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

Do you still go raving?

Too old for it now, do the backtobasics orchestral thing in Leeds each year which is pretty good, last proper night out was Creamfields in ‘01 I think, took me a week to recover lol.

Used to do Cream or Voodoo in Liverpool one week (girlfriend now wife was at Uni there) then Orbit the next week, sometimes Angels or Carlos over Burnley way or down to Manchester for Bowlers or Gatecrasher in Sheffield. Mad times when I look back at it but so glad to have been part of it.

Moved onto festivals and these days I listen to everything from Billy Nasty to Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, ffs

Still got my Techincs and about 3000 vinyls from the early s 90’s to ‘00’s, can’t bring myself to sell them lol.

I’m off to find a working tape player and listen to some Sven Vath now :-bd
gairym

Post by gairym »

techno wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:48 pm I found the techno scene that I experienced to have a similar ethos to this place. A very broad mix of people who are fanatical about something but don't take themselves too seriously. They may initially appear a bit weird but are actually incredibly welcoming, friendly and helpful. :-bd
Yes, perfectly put!

I think the longevity of this crowd wins out though.

Although I don't know, the long-term effects of raving are comparible with the effects of a decent multi-day bikepacking race, no?

Thousand yard stare, hallucinations, sleep deprived gaunt face, perfum de sweat etc...

I too have been listening to loads of Weatherall mixes since he scuttled off recently - he really was very good at his craft.
Sven Vath - yes!!!
techno

Post by techno »

Shewie wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:01 pm Too old for it now, do the backtobasics orchestral thing in Leeds each year which is pretty good, last proper night out was Creamfields in ‘01 I think, took me a week to recover lol.

Used to do Cream or Voodoo in Liverpool one week (girlfriend now wife was at Uni there) then Orbit the next week, sometimes Angels or Carlos over Burnley way or down to Manchester for Bowlers or Gatecrasher in Sheffield. Mad times when I look back at it but so glad to have been part of it.

Moved onto festivals and these days I listen to everything from Billy Nasty to Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, ffs

Still got my Techincs and about 3000 vinyls from the early s 90’s to ‘00’s, can’t bring myself to sell them lol.

I don't really go raving anymore but still have the odd mix and buy a record occasionally (there's loads of great new techno about actually!).
I'm just blasting some techno while making the kids lunch :mrgreen: