Does this work or not?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Does this work or not?

Post by Mike »

I want/need an extra bit of storage on my camino for a trip in the summer. My carbon rigid forks dont have mount points so i was considering cable ties and those plastic cages things. Ill only be carrying light stuff on the legs and we will be on tarmac so hopefully no bums. Anyone else tried this heath robinson method at all and had results or do they just slide down legs and go into the wheel, stopping my bike dead and throwing me over the handlebars into the tarmac??
Pirahna

Re: Does this work or not?

Post by Pirahna »

Tape the cages on with electrical tape.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

A couple of layers of gaffa under some decent quality cable ties and you should be fine.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

The forks on my Van Nic are like a tapering Toblerone bar and I have protected the carbon by sliding a 6" length of inner tube up the leg and strapping my Blackburn cargo cages on with 3x 10mm zip ties done up bloody tight. I've tried carrying weights up to 1kg on each side on roughish tracks and I've not died yet. Remember to wash the talc off the inside of the inner tube first to improve grip.
Boab

Post by Boab »

You can also use Jubilee Clips, rather than cable ties*...

* Not tried this myself, but was planning on looking into it.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

I'd be very wary of the crushing forces on carbon by using Jubilee clips apart from those Elite plastic ones that they sell to make bottle cage mounts.
Like these https://www.evanscycles.com/en-es/elite ... s-EV242878
Boab

Post by Boab »

pistonbroke wrote: Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:14 pm I'd be very wary of the crushing forces on carbon by using Jubilee clips apart from those Elite plastic ones that they sell to make bottle cage mounts.
Like these https://www.evanscycles.com/en-es/elite ... s-EV242878
The Topeak VERSACAGE comes with similar VersaMount clamps, so depending on what cage you get, you may also get clamps included...

Edit: Thinking about it a bit more, you often see photos of bikes with an anywhere cage under the down tube like:

I know my frame is aluminium, so clamping forces should be less of an issue. Maybe a VERSACAGE* and a 5L Restrap Fork Bag* might be an option...?

* Other cages and bags are available...
Last edited by Boab on Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I use Jubilee clips on a Suspension fork - even then there is thick rubber under them to protect the fork - I would not recommend them on carbon
jameso

Post by jameso »

do they just slide down legs and go into the wheel, stopping my bike dead and throwing me over the handlebars into the tarmac??
This, eventually.

Strapping anything with mass to a tapered blade fork with zip ties, Elite clamps or any other clamps has a real risk of loosening as it lowers, as it will, then rotating and going into your wheel. I'm sure I'm making an obvious point but it is so risky.

I once had a jacket jam my front wheel while doing 20+ down a tarmac hill. Really, really not good. I was close to home so it wasn't too bad but out in the wilds it would have been an MR call-out.

Topeak sell clamps to do this -
But they show them mounted low down on a non-taper fork and state they're for mounting to suspension forks. I would expect they have some really clear warnings about not fitting to tapered rigid fork blades. Still, there's no anti-rotation fail safe for this set up on a sus fork. Looks like a liability time bomb to me tbh.

As for Jubilee clips on a carbon fork ... as others have said.. please don't :grin:

As you were, as responsible adults :-bd
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Decathlon rubber bottle cage mounts. I have them on all my for including on the Camino. Just Add whatever type of cage and they don't ever move.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

8mm cable ties - bombproof and cheap
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

htrider wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:00 pm 8mm cable ties - bombproof and cheap
not as kind to the forks as the rubber straps.