Track Pump

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Track Pump

Post by Boab »

Back at the end of November I knackered my old Joe Blow track pump. It was brilliant and I really wanted to try and fix it, rather than buying another one. I've tried, but it refuses to pump any air, so after twenty years use, it's time to buy a new one.

As you can see, the old was had a metal body, with the gauge at the top for easy reading. I'd like something similar and was considering the JOEBLOW™ MOUNTAIN X, although the gauge being near the bottom and the 60 psi limit are giving me doubts.

Anyone got any recommendations...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Track Pump

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've got a Topeak Joe Blow Max that I rate. Decent air volume and pressure. Multi valve head, alloy body and although the gauge is near the base it's big and easy to read - seems pretty accurate too. Oh and not expensive either.
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

The Bontrager ones are very good and well priced too
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have the Joe Blow booster, has a gauge at the top (and a pressure release button on the pump and on my head which is nice)

The head works a lot better with presta valves than it does with schraeder though
techno

Post by techno »

voodoo_simon wrote: Wed Feb 26, 2020 5:31 pm The Bontrager ones are very good and well priced too
I have a bontrager one too. It's great.
Metal body but the gauge is at the base.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

I bought a Layzne Floor Drive five or six years ago for no other reason than I'm a pretentious knobber. The chuck fell to pieces after six months, the hose it came with was too short for my liking so I replaced it too. The gauge is on the floor and seems to attract grime sat still in the corner, not that that matters because when it shows 20psi it means 30 anyway. It is pretty though.
I'm just going outside ...
Boab

Post by Boab »

Thanks all!

Popped into Halfords on the way home, as they evidently had the JOEBLOW™ MAX II in stock, they didn't. They did have eight JOEBLOW™ SPORT III, so I bought one of those instead. Got to the till, they tried to charge me full price of £39.99, rather than the website price of £28.60, so I quibbled and got the cheaper price; I also used my CTC membership to get a further 10% off too. 👍
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Topeak used sell replacement seals etc for the track pumps,I think Extra was the importer.
Insanity over vanity
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Apologies, replacement hoses and connectors only listed, seals nla. :sad:
Insanity over vanity
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

My Joe Blow died after about 10 years or was that 7... but it involved alot of gunk from Stan as well as lots of fighting trying to do ghetto tuebless when it all kicked off... Anyway, get another... Get the yellow version (which is what Stu' is and its what I've got...). Nothing else makes any sense whaysoever and you'll probably kick yourself (or the crappy pump)
Boab

Post by Boab »

Cyclepeasant wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:24 am Apologies, replacement hoses and connectors only listed, seals nla. :sad:
You can get o-rings and what not, just not for my old pump. I tried buying some o-rings off eBay, they fitted, but the thing still wouldn't pump air... 🤷‍♂️
redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:35 am My Joe Blow died after about 10 years or was that 7... but it involved alot of gunk from Stan as well as lots of fighting trying to do ghetto tuebless when it all kicked off... Anyway, get another... Get the yellow version (which is what Stu' is and its what I've got...). Nothing else makes any sense whaysoever and you'll probably kick yourself (or the crappy pump)
It was doing ghetto tuebless on my old fat bike that tipped it over the edge, proper tubeless on the gravel bike finished it off... 😢 I used my new one this morning, other that the hose being a lot shorter, it'll do.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Joe Blow Max 2 here, 5yrs in no problems :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams