Things you'd wished you'd done years ago (Bikepacking only)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

JohnClimber

Things you'd wished you'd done years ago (Bikepacking only)

Post by JohnClimber »

Oh my god why didn't I do this when I started bike packing 12 or so years ago.

I've never been a good sleeper outdoors, until last night.......

Friday night and Saturday morning I had a good 9 hours of sleep at home (not the best to make me tired for Saturday nights bivi)

But 3 nights before I changed my comfy pillow at home for my new larger bike packing pillow.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15922072/v ... w-15922072

And I slept on this pillow for 3 nights prior to heading out last night.

We met up, rode in, nothing too testing, went to the pub and headed to the bivi spot just before is started raining for the whole night (so I was told)

Knowing I wasn't tired I stayed up until gone midnight, then bedded down for the night.
Because I'd got used to the new pillow for he 3 nights before for the first time ever I fell asleep immediately and I slept almost all the way through with only my 52 year old bladder waking me up twice.

So my 2 tips, if you don't sleep too well outdoors.

1) Use your travel pillow 3 nights before you travel
2)Take an empty 1 pint plastic square type milk bottle to bed with you to save you getting up throughout the night ;-)

Your turn now.
What sensible bike packing tips do you wish you could have told yourself about when you started out?
voodoo_simon

Re: Things you'd wished you'd done years ago (Bikepacking only)

Post by voodoo_simon »

Funnily enough, I was thinking of a top tips thread this weekend.

My first trip involved carrying enough water for a whole weekend :lol: You can guess the tip that goes with this one!

Riding wise, I find riding when I wake up is better than trying to sleep in until your normal waking time and then I hit the road straight away, ride for an hour or so before stopping for breakfast (rather than trying to cook first thing). Works for me, doesn’t really work in a group though