Tarp setups for windy conditions?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

techno

Tarp setups for windy conditions?

Post by techno »

I spent a while trying to set up my new rectangular tarp in a fairly sheltered spot yesterday. I couldn't find a single pole setup that the wind wouldn't flatten when it gusted.

What setup (ideally single pole) for rectangular tarp would you recommend for windy conditions?

This is my tarp: https://www.terra-nova.co.uk/sale/tarps ... 1-grade-b/

Ta.
ScotRoutes

Re: Tarp setups for windy conditions?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Flying V .

I'll sometimes use the bike bars as a "lifter". Helps stop the upwind part of the tarp from blowing in on you and gives a bit more headroom

Edit: if you are prepared to use the bike (and the wheels) to help you out then there are other options.

ImageP1050048 by Colin Cadden, on Flickr
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Looking at that tarp there doesn't look to be any mid-panel tie-outs in the same way that the Alpkit tarps have. You can hack this by putting a small round/smooth pebble into a "pocket" in the material and hitching a loop of line around the neck of that pocket. I'd then use the handlebars of the bike (or a suitably located tree) to act as a lifter for the back end. I may not have described that particularly well.

Here's my Trekkertent tarp (same size as yours - 2.5m x 1.5m) set up in the manner I describe. I specified the mid-panel tie-outs/lifters with the same overall pattern as the Alpkit tarps. The pull on the handlebars needed to actually lift the bike off the ground is surprisingly large - I could probably lean back against it, I'm 86kg.

Edit: came across the file I sent to Mark at Trekkertent with the extra tie-outs.

Another image:

This one is of the Alpkit Rig3.5 using a second pole and a dropped tail.

Last edited by whitestone on Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

When you say 'flatten' how d'you mean? I used to be a major fan of 'Flying V'. Still am, but I've sort of fallen back on 'A'. The windier it is the lower I pitch it. Survived 55mph winds under it (admittedly with my nose more or less touching the 'ceiling' :wink: ).

Let's hear (or preferably see!) the gory details :smile: . Eg wot pegs?

(sorry, crossed with Bob/Colin)
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have you attached lines to all the pegging points? Doing so (no matter if they're short) rather than pegging any point directly to the ground, will make any pitch more stable.

As mentioned, the addition of a mid-point tie out will really make a difference. These work very well and won't damage the material: https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... clips-p447
May the bridges you burn light your way
techno

Post by techno »

Brilliant, plenty to go at there, will get some more lines and tensioners sorted for the pegging points.
Will try a flying v and some other setups too.
Found this guy when searching flying v. Very handy.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... V5TbDmSPYx
Verena

Post by Verena »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:57 pm Flying V .

I'll sometimes use the bike bars as a "lifter". Helps stop the upwind part of the tarp from blowing in on you
:o OMG that means I accidentally did that right the other day without realizing?!?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Surely any shape will 'work' so long as its held securely.... although I'm still not entirely convinced re V for high winds, even as a huge fan of V. I was under a V once when the wind changed direction in the night. I woke up dreaming I was in (cold) tumble-dryer. Maybe 'cave' pegged to ground level has highest probabiity of success with its three sides.

As said, lifters are good - I had my DCF Trekkertent tarp modded like Bob, well similar - added four, a third of the way in from each corner in addition to the ridgeline ones.

But, 'held securely'... if you're lashed to trees using 12mm Tech Web not even a typhoon is going to flatten you? All you need is a windproof bag/quilt (my PHD's are Ultrashell at tiny weight penalty).

Instead of Techweb and trees I've compromised at 1.5mm Dyneema with its zillion-pound strain, along with some Ti Y pegs at only 9g each: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6Pcs-Ult ... 0207 . Those pegs are amazing. Used them in peaty soil on Friday.

In a high wind a securely taut DCF tarp is lots of fun. Grab a stick and you can play a tune on it like those steel drum things :-bd .
Last edited by RIP on Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Found this guy
I was hoping it was papahiker

I enjoy his stuff and he does some interesting gear reviews as well - recommends solid fuel as the lowest weight and easiest fuel for example.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

From those Papa Hiker videos the suggested pitch from my previous post is the Holden "Tent" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP_V4mg ... dex=5&t=0s I've not tried the asymmetric version - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3ChZ1A ... Yx&index=5.

Since my tarp is set up for the Holden that means the lines are attached at the appropriate point midway along the front and the central lifter so it's just a matter of unfolding and pitching. For the asymmetric version I think I'd take the hit of the weight of a couple of mini karabiners (I've some of these - https://alpkit.com/collections/camping- ... s/clippers) so I could swap ends easily according to the requirements of my chosen site. The karabiners are a bit easier than faffing around at night with a flapping tarp in a gale and add a massive 5 grammes to the setup. YMMV of course.

As with anything "critical" to your setup I'd play around at home in the garden and pick just one or two pitches that offer the fewest compromises for you and that you can then practice so it's second nature when you come to actually deploy them.
RIP

Post by RIP »

The pre-attached lines thing has occupied a disproportionate amount of my time :wink: . At one extreme you obviously have the 'none at all' setup - 100% flexible but takes longer to pitch, with tautline hitches. At the other extreme, at one point while I was experimenting, I had both short red and long yellow pre-attached at every 'ground level' tie-out, and even three along one 'side' as lifters. I had to have a bit of coloured tape on one end so I knew which side the lifters were on. Didn't stay that way for long cos it looked like a ball of wool after a cat had played with it!

I've still got three lifter lines, which join together at a mini-carabiner (3 spares in bag too) onto one cord that goes over a wheel to the ground. Very easily adjustable and fun to play with during setup.

Hours of fun for all the family! >>>>

techno

Post by techno »

RIP wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:59 am Surely any shape will 'work' so long as its held securely.... although I'm still not entirely convinced re V for high winds, even as a huge fan of V. I was under a V once when the wind changed direction in the night. I woke up dreaming I was in (cold) tumble-dryer. Maybe 'cave' pegged to ground level has highest probabiity of success with its three sides.

As said, lifters are good - I had my DCF Trekkertent tarp modded like Bob, well similar - added four, a third of the way in from each corner in addition to the ridgeline ones.

But, 'held securely'... if you're lashed to trees using 12mm Tech Web not even a typhoon is going to flatten you? All you need is a windproof bag/quilt (my PHD's are Ultrashell at tiny weight penalty).

Instead of Techweb and trees I've compromised at 1.5mm Dyneema with its zillion-pound strain, along with some Ti Y pegs at only 9g each: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6Pcs-Ult ... 0207 . Those pegs are amazing. Used them in peaty soil on Friday.

In a high wind a securely taut DCF tarp is lots of fun. Grab a stick and you can play a tune on it like those steel drum things :-bd .
I need to practice with the rectangular tarp. I found a stable setup that I liked with my square tarp ( cave I think it's called) and stuck with it. More playtime this afternoon methinks!
Reg what tensioners do you use with the dyneema as I have some of that.
techno

Post by techno »

Tautline hitches I see reg
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:08 pm Have you attached lines to all the pegging points? Doing so (no matter if they're short) rather than pegging any point directly to the ground, will make any pitch more stable.
Please can you explain why this is? Ta.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

whitestone wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 12:41 pm karabiners are a bit easier than faffing around at night with a flapping tarp in a gale and add a massive 5 grammes to the setup. YMMV of course.
All my guy lines are attached to (colour-coded according to guy length) mini-karabiners.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The thing I'll say about many of the setups (including the Holden) is that they are prone to wind-blown rain under the sides. This is especially true if using the smaller tarps (R.I.G. 3.5 / Siltarp 1 size). I'm not the tallest person in the world and I can only guess it's worse if you are taller.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

I usually pitch an asymmetrical Holden as it seems to work well in most conditions.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:38 pm The thing I'll say about many of the setups (including the Holden) is that they are prone to wind-blown rain under the sides. This is especially true if using the smaller tarps (R.I.G. 3.5 / Siltarp 1 size). I'm not the tallest person in the world and I can only guess it's worse if you are taller.
Definitely an issue for those of us who live and bivy in less wooded areas. I'll lower a corner or edge if it's particularly windy but there's always the option of stuffing bags/waterproofs, etc along the gap.
RIP

Post by RIP »

techno mail wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 2:45 pm I need to practice with the rectangular tarp. I found a stable setup that I liked with my square tarp ( cave I think it's called) and stuck with it. More playtime this afternoon methinks!
Reg what tensioners do you use with the dyneema as I have some of that.
IMHO rectangular tarps can do all the same shapes as squares but one dimension is just a bit roomier - love lying alongside the 10' edge of my 10x8 in V mode, smashing view with loads of protection. Aye playing with setups is good fun! Tensioners - mini lineloks for ease, tautlines for purity :wink: . When I was in my non-pre-attached phase, I just had a load of lines with fixed bowline at one end and tautline at the other (push bowline through tieloop, then pull tautline end through it and peg out).

Been meaning to have a go with a beak for a while, but a/ easier to bung a shower curtain on, and b/ might as well be in a tent if you're going to those lengths:

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Please can you explain why this is? Ta.
For a tarp to be stable, tension needs to be applied to the material in opposite directions, in fact, in all directions. Pegging it directly to the ground stops you doing that. Always think of a tarp as a 'free floating' canopy when you pitch it.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Something always worth remembering is the fact that a tarp isn't a tent. There's a price to pay for low weight and simplicity. You've got to work wothin its limits. That might mean using a waterproof bivvy bag beneath it or accepting that it's going to be cramped. Trying to turn a tarp into a tent will generally lead to disappointment - if you want a tent, don't buy a tarp, buy a tent.

Also, where you pitch will have a massive effect on how stable things are. I've lost count of the number of idiots I've seen on fb moaning about the fact their tent got flattened. Obviously it had nothing to do with them choosing to pitch it on a ridge at 500m when 50mph winds were forecast :roll:
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

^^ Gotcha, ta again.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 7:41 pm Something always worth remembering is the fact that a tarp isn't a tent. There's a price to pay for low weight and simplicity. You've got to work wothin its limits. That might mean using a waterproof bivvy bag beneath it or accepting that it's going to be cramped.
Yep, I particularly like the flying V when I'm using my RAB Event bivvy bag. With my head covered/sheltered and my feet sticking out, I'm sheltered but have a very open outlook.
techno

Post by techno »

RIP wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 10:59 am I've compromised at 1.5mm Dyneema with its zillion-pound strain,
I tried the dyneema line I have and now remember why it was sat un-used in a box. It's so bloody slippery it was a nightmare to tie and tension. The stuff I've got has no give and no texture so knots don't bite easily. What kind do you use?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I tried the dyneema line I have and now remember why it was sat un-used in a box. It's so bloody slippery it was a nightmare to tie and tension. The stuff I've got has no give and no texture so knots don't bite easily. What kind do you use?
Pure Dymeena won't work with tensioners (well, not normal tensioners but you can make some that work) It's best used for fixed length lines. I tie loops along the length to give me pegging options.