Do you own an unsuitable bike?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

atk

Re: Do you own an unsuitable bike?

Post by atk »

I feel like my singlespeed comment should have included a :wink:. It was a light prod at the typical comments 'always in the wrong gear' etc.
atk

Post by atk »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:51 am The reason I asked the question is that I'm considering putting an event / ride together and the notion of riders doing it on 'unsuitable' bikes appeals to me. It doesn't appeal because I'm some sort of sadist but because I think it would be fun and maybe add to the element of dare I say - adventure.

A road bike you're terrified of scratching is obviously unsuitable but may not be a practical proposition in this case. :wink:
Didn't Charlie T(former)BM run an event like that back in the day? There were various anti-prizes/punishments for turning up on anything that was too close to a mountain bike.

Sounds good either way :)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Didn't Charlie T(former)BM run an event like that back in the day? There were various anti-prizes/punishments for turning up on anything that was too close to a mountain bike.
Yes, Charlie used to do a 'Klunker race' which I recall involved self-inflicting injuries by riding an unsuitable bike down a hill as fast as you could.

My initial thoughts are a multi-day ride involving a number of 'check-points'. These would be selected on their unsuitability to be ridden on anything other than a mountainbike*

*It all makes perfect sense in my head :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Funny how long travel fs, fatbike and ssp are named. I ride all these types of bikes and find all perfectly suitable. Of course it depends on the character of the route, but on all types of bikes I've had some really great adventures.

The only bike I've not yet used for bikepacking is my penny farthing. But I'm sure it'll see a multiday trip some time this year.

I guess that'd be my most unsuitable bike in our cellar.
On the other hand, if I'd decide to ride road and smooth gravel only (which I never do), it'd be one of my most suitable bikes...

I thinks the suitability of a bike is only down to route characteristics. Unless you leave the handlebar or other parts away...
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Riding a penny farthing is UCI illegal (as far I can make the rule out), so you’ll be ‘cheating’ riding one of those :lol:

Wouldn’t fancy a SMIDSY on one of those!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Alpinum wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:27 am Funny how long travel fs, fatbike and ssp are named. I ride all these types of bikes and find all perfectly suitable. Of course it depends on the character of the route, but on all types of bikes I've had some really great adventures.
Yeah, I think that's the point.

As regards the first two, I think there's a focus on (light)weight in bikepacking that causes folk to blanch at the idea of shocks, multi-link suspension and/or "heavy" fat wheels and tyres. There's also a reliability/simplicity argument against the former. Inevitably there are also some routes and trips where these bikes come into their own either due to terrain or to reduced fatigue.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:31 am Riding a penny farthing is UCI illegal (as far I can make the rule out), so you’ll be ‘cheating’ riding one of those :lol:

Wouldn’t fancy a SMIDSY on one of those!
UCI? United capitalist income? Utilitarian cock impression? Unicycle International?
Never heard of it.

What's SMIDSY?

Lets not forget Thomas Steven, the first of mankind to ride around the globe.
1884 - 1886, on a penny farthing when the best road surface was macadam or cobbled.
A penny farthing actually rides quite well on cobbled roads and gravel, thanks to frame flex and especially the huge wheel.

Ride the pf around the HT550?
No thank you. But some people like such challenges and become record holders, like climbing with boxing gloves.
I mostly pick the most suitable bike and put it through a suitable but tough challenge. But sometimes it's fun to use a rather unsuitable bike and do what otherwise would be a rather easy challenge.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Gian, your Penny Farthing would be an ideal candidate :wink:

But sometimes it's fun to use a rather unsuitable bike and do what otherwise would be a rather easy challenge.
Exactly this.

If you match the bike to the terrain or vice versa, then no bike is 'wrong' for bikepacking. My intention isn't to open a debate on what is a bikepacking bike - SS, fat bikes, full sussers all make brilliant bikes to go bikepacking on when the conditions are right and can be adequately pressed into service when they're less than ideal.
Boab

Post by Boab »

Alpinum wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:43 am What's SMIDSY?
Sorry Mate I Didn't See You. Typically uttered by the driver who's just knocked you off your bike...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Gian - SMIDSY = Sorry Mate I Didn't See You. The excuse drivers give for not paying attention.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

What's SMIDSY
“Sorry mate I didn’t see you” or, when a car pulls out in front of you and you have to brake suddenly

Edit - looks like I’m the slowest typer :lol:
FLV

Post by FLV »

All my bikes are suitible for bikepacking, but as said already, not all my bikes are wholly suitible for every ride.
I could likely get away with any of them on most rides though
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:51 am The reason I asked the question is that I'm considering putting an event / ride together and the notion of riders doing it on 'unsuitable' bikes appeals to me. It doesn't appeal because I'm some sort of sadist but because I think it would be fun and maybe add to the element of dare I say - adventure.
My Dad has a 26" Ridgeback in his garage, hasn't been used in years. Has all the wrong angles, three front chainrings, flat tyres, duff brakes, the works. I think that would be pretty unsuitable...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

I was going to say my van nic road bike which I don't use any more as the riding position plays hob with my back; but realised I still have a fixxy based on an old 531c track frame. Its only got one (bad) brake but is probably quite a nice bike to ride as it will be fairly flexy. Due to the one brake and a general lack of backbone on my part, I don't ride it.....
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

RIP wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:43 am Nah, once did the Winter Event on my Canyon AL+ 150 due to last-second up-cocks with the P7. I had a lovely time.
Is that the Mr T bike?
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

This is beginning to sound like one of those Top Gear challenges. Just set a budget cap. Say £125 (receipts must be shown/no upgrades permitted).

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6007870

Any bike(parts) that survive can be donated to a local bike charity of your choice.
psling

Post by psling »

K1100T wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:57 am My Dad has a 26" Ridgeback in his garage, hasn't been used in years. Has all the wrong angles, three front chainrings, flat tyres, duff brakes, the works. I think that would be pretty unsuitable...
Sounds very similar to my most regularly used bikepacking bike - except for the flat tyres and duff brakes but that's because I keep it in rideable condition. It is eminently suitable... :wink:

Sounds like an interesting idea you have Stu but where are all these "unsuitable bikes" coming from? Not sure many of us have totally unsuitable bikes! How about a chainless event (chain & pedals removed)- hike-a-bike uphill, freewheel downhill, and scoot along the level bits :cool:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

Sounds like a unique 'fun' event you have in mind Stu. It would be better with no GPS so folk havd to use paper maps with the prospect of getting lost :lol:
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Sounds like an interesting idea you have Stu but where are all these "unsuitable bikes" coming from?
Plenty of cheap stuff out there Peter from what I can tell. I suppose I'm thinking that with enough warning people will have chance to 'find' something if they don't already own one.

I quite fancy this :-bd

I'm liking the no gps idea Jeff :-bd
RIP

Post by RIP »

BigdummySteve wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:29 am
RIP wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:43 am Nah, once did the Winter Event on my Canyon AL+ 150 due to last-second up-cocks with the P7. I had a lovely time.
Is that the Mr T bike?
That's the one :smile: . "It takes a smart guy to play dumb" - Mr T.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

I rode London to Newcastle on a folder, which was ace aside from road tyres on sketchy paths. Now I’m on a Brompton and it’s slightly more appropriate with wider tyres, but a pig to ride.

Does a singlespeed count if you’re talking about Wales?
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:37 am This is beginning to sound like one of those Top Gear challenges. Just set a budget cap. Say £125 (receipts must be shown/no upgrades permitted).

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/6007870

Any bike(parts) that survive can be donated to a local bike charity of your choice.
I’d do that, but set a lower limit and use Gumtree. Fix the bikes up, ride them and donate to a refugee charity or similar. The only concession would be that SPDs are permissible.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

AlasdairMc wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:42 pm Does a singlespeed count if you’re talking about Wales?
I've never ridden a geared bike in Wales, or Scotland :smile:

I'm thinking I need to aquire a singlespeed full sus folding fat bike with road tyres :lol: I might have to build that from scratch, so as I've only got steam pipe in my steel rack it will also weigh about 60 lbs, is that unsuitable enough?

Edit, just realised I have ridden a geared bike in Scotland, Alasdair's fat bike , how could I forget that, after 10 minutes I was so impressed with the go anywhere traction I was thinking I could ride across a river :grin:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/kids-bik ... 94110.html

Spacefor a seat rack and bar bag
Should be fun and pretty easy to hike a bike with it .
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

This all sounds like a great lark but...
Am I alone in thinking that encouraging people to buy an unsuitable bike for a one off event is not a very sound ethical idea given what we know about the effects of reckless consumption on the planet?
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC