Suggest a 'Do almost Any reasonable Bearing' press/puller

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Suggest a 'Do almost Any reasonable Bearing' press/puller

Post by redefined_cycles »

Just spent the last half an hour removing the bearing out the idler/tensi9ner puller 'thingy' from my cars serpentine belt 'thingy'...

Had to use both my Hope and RPR bike bearin kits as well as the Birzman The last time I used my crown race setting tool and I've made a few indentations around the Hope/RPR supports :sad:

The last time I used my home made bearing press (I think) I chucked it away as its been over 5 years and I though I'd finally treat myself to something a bit nicer to work with.

Anyway... present day and I'm now stuck without something to press my bearings in with and thought to ask the Q in the title. If anyone has any exp and suggestions of a nice kit that won't cost 'too too' much then please, I'm all ears... Obviously it'll be hard getting one kit on a budget to do all bearings but something that can push and pull many sizes of bike (headset... bottom bracket etc etc) and some main car bearings.

Please .. Thankyou :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Suggest a 'Do almost Any reasonable Bearing' press/puller

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

If you just want a bearing drift set then there's loads on ebay Shaf. Not posh but they'll do the job for years to come.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391990665660
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:30 pm If you just want a bearing drift set then there's loads on ebay Shaf. Not posh but they'll do the job for years to come.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391990665660
Stu... when they say 'drift' I'm assuming its just for drifitng em out yes?? Then to drive them back home don't I need something that will squeeze (thinking long threaded rod with some sort of levers on each end to wind and push the bearings back in) the new bearings back home (as opposed to hammering em back in right!?!

That 15 quid jobby looks good btw thanks Stu...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Absolutely no reason why you can hammer bearings in Shaf. Obviously you need to be careful and only contact the outer race ... or at least inner / outer together which is what these drift sets will do. Although a socket or piece of steel pipe of the correct size will likely be even better.
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:51 pm Absolutely no reason why you can hammer bearings in Shaf. Obviously you need to be careful and only contact the outer race ... or at least inner / outer together which is what these drift sets will do. Although a socket or piece of steel pipe of the correct size will likely be even better.
Aha... Ok, I have been enlightened. I was always under the impression the constant whacking could 'do em in' a little. Thanks again :-bd :grin:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was always under the impression the constant whacking could 'do em in' a little.
It will if you hit them in the wrong place :wink: Also, it's not a constant whacking, 'tis simply a few taps - helped if you cool the nearing and warm whatever it's going into.
redefined_cycles

Ace... thanks. Turns out I had a UNIOR (think Campag - we dont want anyone else's tool working on our kit) bottom bracket puller so new bearing gone in a breeze in a few turns :-bd

On that note, so is it super important to ensure the drift (whatever) contacts both out and inner 'race*' or if I just contact the inner and squeeze it nicely in will it be non-detrimental to the life of bearings..

Thanks again :grin:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:40 pm On that note, so is it super important to ensure the drift (whatever) contacts both out and inner 'race*' or if I just contact the inner and squeeze it nicely in will it be non-detrimental to the life of bearings..
My understanding is that the drift should be pressing against the outer shell of the bearing since that's the one with friction against whatever it is you are pressing it into. Just pressing on the inner means you are distorting the bearing as you are applying the force in the centre whereas the resistance is at the outer edge.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As Bob says Shaf OUTER RACE. Don't apply pressure / force on the inner unless you're trying to remove a bearing that will never see service again.

The drifts (like linked) that have a flat surface that rests squarley against the entire bearing are usually fine for installing but if you're in doubt, a length of tube with a diameter the same as the outer race is your friend.
redefined_cycles

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:54 pm
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:51 pm Absolutely no reason why you can hammer bearings in Shaf. Obviously you need to be careful and only contact the outer race ... or at least inner / outer together which is what these drift sets will do. Although a socket or piece of steel pipe of the correct size will likely be even better.
Aha... Ok, I have been enlightened. I was always under the impression the constant whacking could 'do em in' a little. Thanks again :-bd :grin:
Sorry Stu... Yes I think I misread this earlier and thought you was saying that it was ok to just contact the inner race :sad: which threw me off slightly and got me confused.

I suppose (at my budget and the amount of different pieces of the puzzle I already have) I probably will be better off just purchasing that £15 jobby as long as theres something in there of the correct diameter of current bearings and then will just drive it home with the UNIoR tool...

A new Press for press-fit bottom bracket duties can just wait again...

Thanks Stu/Bob...
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:48 pm Just spent the last half an hour removing the bearing out the idler/tensi9ner puller 'thingy' from my cars serpentine belt 'thingy'...

Had to use both my Hope and RPR bike bearin kits as well as the Birzman The last time I used my crown race setting tool and I've made a few indentations around the Hope/RPR supports :sad:

The last time I used my home made bearing press (I think) I chucked it away as its been over 5 years and I though I'd finally treat myself to something a bit nicer to work with.

Anyway... present day and I'm now stuck without something to press my bearings in with and thought to ask the Q in the title. If anyone has any exp and suggestions of a nice kit that won't cost 'too too' much then please, I'm all ears... Obviously it'll be hard getting one kit on a budget to do all bearings but something that can push and pull many sizes of bike (headset... bottom bracket etc etc) and some main car bearings.

Please .. Thankyou :-bd
If you want a press shaf get a piece of all thread 3 nuts and a couple of washers that fit over the bearing lock 2 nuts together at one end and wind the other down pressing the bearing should get it all for a fiver
That’s all that be ever used to fit a push fit bb , spring eye bushes etc , obviously the tighter the bush a rattle gun may be needed but your normally fine with 2 spanners
redefined_cycles

Thanks Stu... Thats the method I've been using for past 5 years :lol: and told myself the last time I'd used it (with its cutdown laminate flooring as well as plastic wheels for washers) that I would invest in something nicer now that it's fallen/falling apart on me.

Have ordered this Look at this on eBay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383379880222 though on Stu' advice and might use the press-thingies to make an upgraded press with some more threaded metal like you mention...

I love this place :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ah yes, hammers get such a bad press.... but are so useful. And whilst bashing in a bearing using the outer race is the ideal scenario, sometimes you are compelled to bash one in using the inner race. With care, this is not a problem....
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

htrider wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:03 am Ah yes, hammers get such a bad press.... but are so useful. And whilst bashing in a bearing using the outer race is the ideal scenario, sometimes you are compelled to bash one in using the inner race. With care, this is not a problem....
I’ve used the old bearing to tap the new one in. However I’ve followed the herd and bought a set of drifts linked above. Good shout
redefined_cycles

It arrived and indeed its lovely. I reckon I could make a nice custom (well, nicer than my last one) bottom bracket and headset press. Thanks Stu n Stu