DT Swiss Dropper Post

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

DT Swiss Dropper Post

Post by sean_iow »

Just came across this

https://www.dtswiss.com/en/products/sus ... d-232-one/

The DT Swiss dropper, which is aimed at XC racers. Of interest is that it's 'upside down' so the exposed shaft is at the bottom, which means the straps of a seat pack wouldn't be sliding over the shaft. It's also only 60mm drop which is just enough to make a difference but would hopefully stop the seat pack hitting the tyre?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Re: DT Swiss Dropper Post

Post by whitestone »

$566 :shock: :shock: So that'll be £550 then :roll:

A good idea to have it "upside down" - less chance of muck running down and getting into the seals; not susceptible to excess seat clamp pressure since that's now on the inner rather than the outer; no problem with fitting a seat pack and scratching the inner.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That's nearly £10 per mm - bonkers.
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The price is an issue, and I can't afford one, but someone might, the technology looks ideal for bikepacking.

If you offset the cost of not having to buy a new 'dropper compatible' seat pack then this v's a cheaper dropper+new seat pack is slightly more reasonable.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:52 am The price is an issue, and I can't afford one, but someone might, the technology looks ideal for bikepacking.

If you offset the cost of not having to buy a new 'dropper compatible' seat pack then this v's a cheaper dropper+new seat pack is slightly more reasonable.
Reverb is £229 or thereabouts depending on travel.
Revelate Vole is £149

So the DT Swiss is still £200 more! (That's assuming my $ == £ conversion is right)
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I never said to was cheap :grin:

A 100mm Reverb Stealth has an RRP of £395 so with the Vole that's £544. I assume that no one will be paying full RRP for the DT Swiss post, I certainly wont.

I'll be getting back the old reverb I lent to a fried some 3 years ago, which has that 'squishy' travel at the top, and wrapping some tape round the bit where the seat pack strap goes :lol: I have looked into the cost of getting the tools and kit to service it, but it's over £100 for a post I bought s/h for that.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Or for £545 less.

May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Not sure I could bring myself to fit that to my bike when I have one of these in the spares box

whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A friend has a mechanical dropper, actuated by a lever under the nose of the saddle, can't remember the name now but it's one of the earlier posts that came on the market. A quick search doesn't show anything.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

whitestone wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:17 am A friend has a mechanical dropper, actuated by a lever under the nose of the saddle, can't remember the name now but it's one of the earlier posts that came on the market. A quick search doesn't show anything.
Gravity Dropper?
sean_iow wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:10 am Not sure I could bring myself to fit that to my bike when I have one of these in the spares box

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:06 am

Do you even mountainbike?
:wink:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Could well be that Gian. Might be awkward to fit a seat pack as the top of the post is enclosed in a seal.

A quick search shows one, different make, with 100mm travel is just £50 at Decathlon :-bd
Mart

Post by Mart »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:35 am Image
Just looked at the link
Its weighs around half that of a reverb at 369g (which is around 100g more than a Thomson elite) :shock:
2924 miles per Gallon
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

sean_iow wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:05 am I never said to was cheap :grin:

A 100mm Reverb Stealth has an RRP of £395 so with the Vole that's £544. I assume that no one will be paying full RRP for the DT Swiss post, I certainly wont.

I'll be getting back the old reverb I lent to a fried some 3 years ago, which has that 'squishy' travel at the top, and wrapping some tape round the bit where the seat pack strap goes :lol: I have looked into the cost of getting the tools and kit to service it, but it's over £100 for a post I bought s/h for that.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mob ... prod149024

Sean... i have this one for last 3 years (first one I gave away to the young lad that bought the Boardman Team as I didn't have some pedals I'd advertised it with).

Amazingly durable and its going strong still... I'd be inclined to just fleabay the reverb and invest in that with maybe a clamp thingy to attach saddle strap to...

I've been using a bit of tape around mine and a 1L (but will be adding the 4.5 Restrap soon) saddlepack and it works ok.... 1200 reviews and its still got 5 stars...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

there is no real way to secure a bag to the Gravity dropper - I have three of them.
The post you attach the bag to drops down and has a whole to locate it that is about 10 mm below the seat clamp- themidway point may work but they advise you to nortride in thisposition as it risks snapping the post and you have a bag attachd to it now.

Seconly mine are 27.2 and therefore the inner bit is going to be even smaller - the play you will get and the risk of snapping would mean I would not risk it [ at 62 kg]
They are fantastic mine are over 10 years old and still going strong - you wont get that level of use from a pneumatic post - that said the later are much better for smoothness and multiposition options.
dont take my dropperson bikepacking rides [ its both heavier and more likely to failthan a post] so i either
1) go slower
2) drop the post manually.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I Just use one of these on my reverb to reduce the travel and then tape up the top bit of the shaft to prevent any bag rub being an issue:

https://www.evanscycles.com/rockshox-re ... r-EV200454

They are about £5 on ebay
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Droppers are great and very useful with a seat pack for those "oh sh*t" steep drop moments.
But thats affy steep!
Plenty other much cheaper options....
composite

Post by composite »

I have a Gravity Dropper on my Five. It was the only 27.2mm one around at the time. I really like it for the simplicity and it was great until I bought a Reverb for my lurcher and then realised just how much better the control is on the handlebar. I haven't replaced the Gravity dropper though and unless it breaks I never will.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

redefined_cycles wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:58 am

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mob ... prod149024

i have this one for last 3 years (first one I gave away to the young lad that bought the Boardman Team as I didn't have some pedals I'd advertised it with).

Amazingly durable and its going strong still... I'd be inclined to just fleabay the reverb and invest in that with maybe a clamp thingy to attach saddle strap to...

I've been using a bit of tape around mine and a 1L (but will be adding the 4.5 Restrap soon) saddlepack and it works ok.... 1200 reviews and its still got 5 stars...
I have a Reverb on my Pinnacle and I just wrap a bit of pipe lagging round it then fasten my seatpack round that and it's been fine. I already had the Reverb left over from a previous fat bike and it happened to have the same diameter as my Pinnacle's seat tube so I thought I'd bung it on (also the remote works well with my 2x shifter).
On my newer fat bike I've been running one of the Brand X droppers that Shaf mentions above and it's been tremendous. I prefer it to the Reverb to the extent that when I wanted a longer drop dropper for my Rallon I went with the Brand X again rather than the more posey, expensive models that would have matched all the other bling on that bike. It's also been flawless in use and I really think that anyone going for a more spendy dropper is wasting their money unless they're buying it for the aforementioned bling factor.
The USD dropper is an interesting idea but I'd just opt for a Brand X and a bit of pipe lagging and save my money for something more meaningful like a carbon tent pole or something. :grin:
redefined_cycles

You figured out if a better remote can be added to the brandX... its hurts the fingers a bit after about 100 miles... :geek:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

how much better the control is on the handlebar.
You can get a similar lever for your GD

https://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/bont ... lever.html

Not tried it but its on my to do list

I also use a flexible noodle to enter the GD and an inline gear cable adjuster for when it stretches
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:04 pm You figured out if a better remote can be added to the brandX... its hurts the fingers a bit after about 100 miles... :geek:
Err, well I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm running an expensive Wolftooth remote on my Rallon (I figured that I would splash out on a posh remote as the post itself was so reasonably priced)! :oops: They are available in a longer version that offers more leverage (although I went for the standard version). Both versions are supposed to be compatible with the Brand X droppers but they are a pretty silly price for something so simple. Can't say that I've had a problem with the standard remote on my fat bike though, it's lighter in action than the hydraulic remote on the Reverb.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Jurassic wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:15 pm Err, well I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm running an expensive Wolftooth remote on my Rallon
I love this place, it's made my day that a thread I started about a dropper that we all agree is too expensive has now got to you confessing you've got a £70 lever to operate a dropper :grin:
redefined_cycles

Sean... its not just that its expensive :lol: but if DT swiss tracj record on all things suspension-ee is anything to go by then it'll be expensive and pretty crap. Remember them dtSwiss suspension forks of old that noone could ever afford :-bd

Jurassic... right then, £70 woldftooth remote... is it a superlight action or is it just cos it says wolftooth on it :cry: ?
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

sean_iow wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:49 pm
Jurassic wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:15 pm Err, well I'm embarrassed to admit that I'm running an expensive Wolftooth remote on my Rallon
I love this place, it's made my day that a thread I started about a dropper that we all agree is too expensive has now got to you confessing you've got a £70 lever to operate a dropper :grin:
Ha, yeah especially ironic as I'd just written a paragraph extolling the virtues of cheap droppers. I make no excuses for my illogical behaviour, I'm sure Mr Spock would hate me. :lol:
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:16 pm
Jurassic... right then, £70 woldftooth remote... is it a superlight action or is it just cos it says wolftooth on it :cry: ?
Well I can't tell much difference between the Wolftooth and the Brand X remote to be honest. The Wolftooth does look cool though and it has a roller bearing in the pivot so I suppose in theory it should be a lighter action! I would hesitate to recommend you spend £70 on one to find out though. As I mentioned, mine is the standard version and they do make a light action one that is supposed to also be compatible with the BX dropper. Maybe try a new cable first though, it'd be a lot cheaper. :-bd