what defines a good nights bivi

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

windjammer

what defines a good nights bivi

Post by windjammer »

could be pushed for time this year to travel for weekends away,can you still have fun spending a night out in the local woods as you can say driving to the lakes for 3 hours,i all ways seem to think you have to visit far away places to have a fun weekend,what can you do to make a local bivi more of a adventure
lune ranger

Re: what defines a good nights bivi

Post by lune ranger »

For a quickie in the woods :o you can spice things up with a bit of experimentation :shock:
Try different kit - maybe see how light you can go (maybe not this weekend!) or say to hell with the weight and load up with a bunch of luxuries.
On my last local BaM bivi I took Mrs Rangers enormous mountain sleeping bag that’s rated yo minus loads and packs down to about 20 litres volume. Paired that up with s huge 4x5m tarp that I usually only use with the kids for forest school activities. Had a lazy morning and cooked up some sausages before heading home. None of which i’d do if riding longer or going further afield.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

TBH, I just like sleeping outside.

There's a temptation to make everything into a bit of an adventure but I've had some great nights within 10-20km of my house. In fact, I've made a point of using some of the spots as I'd regularly pass them on my local (day) rides and think "that would be a nice bivvy spot for someone visiting the area". *

I've started "ticking off" some local landmarks... summits of nearby hills, monuments, old buildings, that sort of thing.

*TBF, I live in Aviemore. 10-20km gets me to the foot of the Cairngorms :cool:
RIP

Post by RIP »

I'm with 'Routes. It's all in your mind. As with Tim Browndog's excellent sig - "just step outside". No Special Tools Required. Oh, it's in my sig too :wink: . The interest of existence is not in the grand projects. Make it special by just seeing what happens. Inconsequentiality. What a half-baked load of philosophical twaddle there but it's partly true.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It wasn't until leaving the Peak district (BTW 'Peak' has nothing to do with hills and is a corruption of the name of the tribe who lived there) that I realised just how little of it I knew and had never bothered to explore. Mid-wales on the contrary is an area I now know very well, yet, I can still discover new things everytime I venture out. You just have to be willing to look.

There's perhaps literally hundreds of places within 20 miles of home that you've never seen, ridden and certainly never slept. We talk about adventure but adventure comes from not knowing and thus finding out. That can happen at the bottom of your garden just as it can on the otherside of the world.

As an example, Mike and myself are heading out next week. It's doubtful we'll stray more than 20 miles from home. I've knocked up a quick route (committed to memory) and it includes a remote farmhouse in the hills, an underground waterwheel (only two survive in the world) and plenty of tracks neither of us have ridden before. I don't know what time we're leaving, where we'll spend the night or where we're eating. Is it an epic? No. Will it be memorable? Yes. Enjoyable? Certainly.
May the bridges you burn light your way
faustus

Post by faustus »

All the key points have been eloquently made above. As a part-time bikepacker with little time this year (baby #2 in 2 and a bit months :shock: ), i'll be doing much the same: making the most of local exploration within a fairly small radius. Definitely a change of mindset will bring rewards. I've always enjoyed getting to know a local area by just continually exploring it over time. If you think about finding things to discover, then there will always be things to engage the mind and interesting places to ride to. There are no big hills near me, but tons or interesting things to explore by bike: WW2 stop line with potential pillbox bivvy spots, lots of ancient/neolithic landscape features, old airfields etc...along with a desire to get to know all the paths/tracks I can ride on.

Stu - underground waterwheel sounds fascinating!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

techno

Post by techno »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:57 am It wasn't until leaving the Peak district (BTW 'Peak' has nothing to do with hills and is a corruption of the name of the tribe who lived there) that I realised just how little of it I knew and had never bothered to explore. Mid-wales on the contrary is an area I now know very well, yet, I can still discover new things everytime I venture out. You just have to be willing to look.

There's perhaps literally hundreds of places within 20 miles of home that you've never seen, ridden and certainly never slept. We talk about adventure but adventure comes from not knowing and thus finding out. That can happen at the bottom of your garden just as it can on the otherside of the world.

As an example, Mike and myself are heading out next week. It's doubtful we'll stray more than 20 miles from home. I've knocked up a quick route (committed to memory) and it includes a remote farmhouse in the hills, an underground waterwheel (only two survive in the world) and plenty of tracks neither of us have ridden before. I don't know what time we're leaving, where we'll spend the night or where we're eating. Is it an epic? No. Will it be memorable? Yes. Enjoyable? Certainly.
have you been to east yorkshire? home to the uk's dullest grid square:
https://www.geograph.org.uk/gridref/SE8322

Obviously it's not all like this but there is a high percentage of arable land and a low percentage of spectacular.
there are tons of wooded spots and pretty little dales to be found if you head north a bit:

And the beaches along the east coast are great for sheltering from the howling westerlies!

On topic: how about picking a spot close to somewhere that does a great breakfast? =P~
faustus

Post by faustus »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:27 am
Brilliant! :-bd
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Just done a reverse search on that image and it turns out we rode on the track above it on last year's winter event. I think a few people on here will have ridden past it as well.

Back to previous subject diversion: it's surprising just how local unvisited locations can be. I grew up in the Lakes and lived there (in the same house) for thirty years. It wasn't until a few years ago that I rode a couple of bridleways that I could trace when looking across the valley from my bedroom window! We also visited a couple of valleys maybe twenty miles away that I'd never been to. That's two whole valleys. The reason I'd never visited them? There were no crags there so as a climber there was no need.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yep, 'minepacking' - one of my favourite excuses for getting out there :-bd
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

A good bivy for me is waking up dry,warm is a bonus, a stunning view a delight and well rested and raring to go after 7 hours uniterupted sleep ihas happened at least once. Locally I just like its conveniance get on bike and go. there is enough vaiety to satiate my needs but i dont think anyone would be moving here for the plethora of riding opportunites - tits decent if not spectacular

Living in the lakes*, by the peaks, or the cairgorns you may well never tyre of places to explore but most of us are not that blessed . I doubt there is anywhere local to me that i have left to explore [some desolute footpaths across bggy moors where other cycle routes get you to the same point are the only parts i can think of]- to be fair one side is flat and to the sea so never gets ridden the other side i know like the back of my hand .

* I lived in Kendal once and found it incredibly annoting i had to drive everywhere for a decent ride - ok I could do a very very good CX ride via back roads to STaveley and then on to the South lakes but a MTB ride always required a car ride first and I hated that. Being ableto ride fromyour door is the key IMHO as its just so easy and convenient versus loading a car and all that faffage.
Scud

Post by Scud »

I'd day 80% of nights under stars have been local, started on my own and have gradually dragged mates into it, and occasionally their kids.

Some are purely to get away from it, i live 10 miles from a stunning coastline and sandy beaches with some great viewpoints in the trees behind, usually to be out in nature, to be with mates and to see who came up with the best sloe gin/ damson vodka the year before...

Some are having got the OS maps out and plotted and route, just to see whether the tracks and trails are decent, or to aim for a particular point of interest.

But what we lack are hills and mountains, so i have to get away 4-5 times a year for that "fix" of being somewhere more remote and different to where i now call home in North Norfolk.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Maybe because I didn’t own a car for years but my local area knowledge is pretty good, have explored a lot of the local paths either by bike or running. Even when I’ve had a car but been in ‘training*’ mode, I would rather cycle from my doorstep than drive out as it meant more time in the bike. It’s only recently that I’ve started putting the bike in the car to explore further afield.

I’m probably in the minority but I have to say, I see a Bivi as a means to an end. I wouldn’t really just go out to Bivi but as a means to extend a route or for getting an early start on a trip

*i use this term lightly
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I’m probably in the minority but I have to say, I see a Bivi as a means to an end. I wouldn’t really just go out to Bivi but as a means to extend a route or for getting an early start on a trip
Not at all Simon. I believe there's a sliding scale - at one end there's those who camp to ride and at the other, those who ride to camp. Obviously neither is wrong but most of us probably move back and forth between the two as mood or circumstance dictates.

Personally, I believe that bikepacking is about the journey and can't really understand the 'wildcamping' mindset I see where people want to limit how far they have to walk in order to camp somewhere nice ... "where's the nearest parking spot to" etc. While not exacrly missng the point, it does seem to lessen the potential experience.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:59 am tits decent if not spectacular
Certainly that would be an interesting night's bivi. Give us a shout when you're next out.

Aw c'mon gimme a break peeps, tits my birthday :oops: .
Last edited by RIP on Fri Feb 21, 2020 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I can certainly guarantee a pair of tits if we both go :wink: and Happy Bday

I did once ride past a lovely young lady sat backwards on a moorbike with hers out as someone [boyfriend/partner?]was photographing it all.

ME " what a stunning view"
Her smiles "thanks"
Me "what motorobike is it? "
Her " scowls "
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Related: I fear I am about to break one of my self-imposed guidelines.... The weather has been unrelentingly cold, wet and windy for a couple of weeks. The ground is sodden and there is more rain and wind forecast for this weekend. My plans for next week take me off the mainland for a few days. That means I really need to get a BAM in this weekend if I am to continue my streak. That feels like I'm just ticking a list and I'm not comfortable with that. I;ve had the thought of another night in Utsi's hut so might try for there.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

Same issue here i go on sunday or I dont go at all this month .My choice this month has been what storm do you want to bivvy in - yes its box ticking but we perservered so we earn the badge - that said its my first attempt so I might be keener than those with long streaks.
Sunday* is at least dry though from above, I bet cleaning everything afterwards takes more time than the ride :wink:

* downside is i have work Monday so that will be interesting if i dont get much sleep.
benconnolli

Post by benconnolli »

I would define a good bivi as getting away from "it all" and taking advantage of the freedom to sleep wherever I please. The more "it all" I have on in a hectic life, the more anything out of the door satisfies me.
I remember after working a 50 hour week in London, returning to Wales and rolling out literally in the field next door, in the middle of the afternoon, and having a spectacular nap. The clouds moving, the smell of the grass, the absence of road noise, the simplicity of purpose to take a moment and appreciate all these things made it a good trip.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Based on my own experiences.... some good bike riding, good food and drink, 8 hours or so solid kip, repeat....
ChrisF

Post by ChrisF »

Most of my bivvies have been fairly local to me and in areas that I already know very well. When you’ve ridden your local trails countless times you get to know twist and turn, every climb and descent, every view and how the place feels . But you get to know these places in a different way if you’ve bivvied out in them, if you’ve spent a few hours listening to the night time noises, sat with a brew watching the day break.
Anyhow, a good night’s bivvy in order of importance - hidden (I get anxious about being disturbed/found), flat, sheltered, nice view, good sleep (I rarely sleep well, so not a priority).
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

windjammer wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:55 pm ,can you still have fun spending a night out in the local woods as you can say driving to the lakes for 3 hours...
Yeah, you can, I made my BAM for Feb a local one after two attempts to get to the Lakes or Kielder due to bad weather. I thought id give it one last go for Feb, in bad weather at home :)

Adventure wherever you set off from...

Home for the night no matter how far you travel

Beer, worth its weight in gold anywhere.

Even if the next one is local I'll be happy as long as I have PJ bottoms, a beer and some bourbon biscuits.