New bike Thursday

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

TheBrownDog

New bike Thursday

Post by TheBrownDog »

It's big and orange and has millions ... milllllllllllllllllllions - of braze-ons for stuff. Seriously, whats not to like?

Last edited by TheBrownDog on Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm just going outside ...
Bearbonesnorm

Re: New bike Thursday

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have you not fitted that bloody exhaust yet?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

:o nice!!
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

Looks superb, won't look like after 2 mins in the Chiltern mud. Looking forward to seeing it loaded, with at least some of those braze-ons populated
Never knowingly under biked...
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 10:03 pm Have you not fitted that bloody exhaust yet?
Oh the story behind that ...my son got his scooter licence, got a job, got a scooter, then decided it needed to go faster and spent his first pay cheque on an expansion chamber. Course, we can't get the old exhaust off with our rudimentary home tools, and none of our local garages are interested. We will get it done at some point. Till then, it's a nice ornament to futility on the kitchen table. God bless teenagers and the irony of their existence.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Nice one Tim, looks lovely that. I really like the look of the big Bro. Looks like a big that isn't trying to hard, just wants to be a simple, fun bike to ride
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Agree on that Ben. It’s a real all purpose bike. I’ve had an eye on them since they first started knocking them out and was casually perusing their site earlier this week and noticed they’d discounted the remaining 2019 stick by 40%. What’s a bloke to do when that sort of carrot is dangled? Can’t wait to get it muddy. It’s a nice build though the rear brake cable is far too short - needs at least another 10cm. I’ll sort that out this weekend.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Well it's carrot coloured too! Speaking as one who also has a carrot-coloured bike (it's even labelled 'orange' on the side to help my short-term memory) that's good taste old bean. Although as Rich says that'll be pretty irrelevant after 10 minutes up Coombe Hill :smile: .

But 'millions of braze-ons'? What on earth for man? Surely they're just for the type of loons who drag a couple of deck-chairs along on their BP escapades? Oh, wait a minute.... :wink: .

Anyway, very nice. A little April outing is required to come and view it.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Oh the story behind that ...my son got his scooter licence, got a job, got a scooter, then decided it needed to go faster and spent his first pay cheque on an expansion chamber. Course, we can't get the old exhaust off with our rudimentary home tools, and none of our local garages are interested. We will get it done at some point. Till then, it's a nice ornament to futility on the kitchen table. God bless teenagers and the irony of their existence.
Aside from a pipe, has he taken the restricor plate out of the roller clutch? A slightly heavier set of rollers will also make a reasonable difference.

Anyway, very nice looking bike Tim. Clean and simple as a bike should be.
May the bridges you burn light your way
RIP

Post by RIP »

'clean and simple' - not an expert in these matters myself but that's what struck me too. Workmanlike. No nonsense. Goes about its business. Steel. None of those ridiculous curvy tubes with fatuous bulges here and there. Oh, apart from the chainstays, but, well, - steel :smile: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I very nearly bought one of these as a Frameset in November, really like them but opted for something else instead.

Lovely looking bikes
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Aside from a pipe, has he taken the restrictor plate out of the roller clutch? A slightly heavier set of rollers will also make a reasonable difference.
I have no idea. What he did tell me last week is that him and his mate managed to derestrict the top speed and it'll now howl along at nearly 40mph. Which given that's the speed limit of the vast majority of the roads he's on, seems a better option for me than the 28mpg limit 16-year-olds are stuck with. Stupid law.

But back to the Big Bro which is still standing proud in my kitchen. I keep staring at it for long periods. Touching it ... I might need help.

Reg, have to agree about the chain stays, but they built it to take 650B+ wheels, so some curvy swoops were required. I happen to have a lovely set of 650B wheels on hubs for my Fatty, which will be seeing service when the mud dries out. Not keen on skating on massive tyres in the gloop.

And speaking of massive tyres, the Big Bro's arrival means my beloved OO Fatty - the bike that quite frankly has kept me sane through divorce, the death of both my wonderful grandparents, a pretty traumatic family illness and some rather nasty financial dramas - is going to go back to being a fat bike and only a fat bike. Yaaaaaaah ... fat bikes!!!!

Right. Gotta go put the chickens to bed.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Oh yeah, Reg - April. Totally. Must. Happen. Chilterns Spring Thing. We need loads of riders. Make it mahoosive. Maybe in the shed at the horse yard or at Sam's field if he'll have us. With a proper bonfire too. Let's caucus on Whatsapp and get a date settled.