SS query - Rohlhoff alternative?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

BobCatMax

SS query - Rohlhoff alternative?

Post by BobCatMax »

I'm gradually moving to the possibility of having a 2nd SS 700c wheelset I can use on the road for winter duties as well as hacking about in the woods. This would mean an old rear mech instead of a £60 Rohlhoff tensioner.. Are there any others that spring to mind that would allow a bit of chain lengthening/shortening ?
Image Image
pistonbroke

Re: SS query - Rohlhoff alternative?

Post by pistonbroke »

lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Depends on how fussy you are over weight and aesthetics. In the past I just used a cheap as chips derailleur on an SS conversion for knocking about town on.
Paul Components do a nice one but it is probably even more than the Rohloff one.
I had a DMR one also - not too expensive but fiddly getting the wheel in and out as I recall.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I'm using a Diamondback DBX141. £7.99 off Amazon.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I used a DMR for many years with great success (if a little fiddly...)
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

Thank you all for the replies.

Apologies for the lack of clarity, Im looking for something that will allow the changing of chain length as the two wheelsets would have different sized rear cogs, hence the Rohlhoff alternative.

I strongly suspect a cheap s/h short cage road mech is going to be the most likely solution.

I'm a fussy bugger, the Rohlhoff one is really rather smart.. I did wonder about the alfine tensioner
Image Image
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

BobCatMax wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:18 am Thank you all for the replies.

Apologies for the lack of clarity, Im looking for something that will allow the changing of chain length as the two wheelsets would have different sized rear cogs, hence the Rohlhoff alternative.

I strongly suspect a cheap s/h short cage road mech is going to be the most likely solution.

I'm a fussy bugger, the Rohlhoff one is really rather smart.. I did wonder about the alfine tensioner
If you’re interested in second hand Rohloff tensioner send me a PM. I may be able to help out.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I used the Alfine one with an Alfine hub and a 2x crank (long story). Worked well.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I always thought the Paul's 'Melvin' tensioner was nice but it's more expensive again.

May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

BobCatMax wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:18 am Apologies for the lack of clarity, Im looking for something that will allow the changing of chain length as the two wheelsets would have different sized rear cogs, hence the Rohlhoff alternative.
On my singlespeeds I've found that when I swapped ratios by just changing the cog or the chainring the drive-train wears out much faster. I now keep the cog, chain and chainring as a set and swap the whole lot over when I want a different ratio.

It's only 4 bolts on the chainring and undoing the quick link so not much extra work, although there is the extra expense. This way I can also run my drivetrains past the point where swapping bits about would work to get the maximum use out of them, as this comparison of an old and new cog demonstrates :lol:

My frame doesn't need a tensioner but that also means there isn't enough adjustment to accommodate the chain with the smaller cog so I had to take a link out which is another reason for the complete sets.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

BobCatMax wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:11 pm I'm gradually moving to the possibility of having a 2nd SS 700c wheelset I can use on the road for winter duties as well as hacking about in the woods. This would mean an old rear mech instead of a £60 Rohlhoff tensioner.. Are there any others that spring to mind that would allow a bit of chain lengthening/shortening ?
Done the same in the past using a dingle set up on the chainset. Two rings on the front and on the road wheels a smaller cog than on the mtb wheels, so 32/18 on the mtb wheels and 36/14 on the road wheels. Meant I could run different wheels without any (significant) change in the chain length and no tensioner needed. As long as total teeth front and rear add up to same number should work.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

wriggles wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 10:06 am
BobCatMax wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:11 pm I'm gradually moving to the possibility of having a 2nd SS 700c wheelset I can use on the road for winter duties as well as hacking about in the woods. This would mean an old rear mech instead of a £60 Rohlhoff tensioner.. Are there any others that spring to mind that would allow a bit of chain lengthening/shortening ?
Done the same in the past using a dingle set up on the chainset. Two rings on the front and on the road wheels a smaller cog than on the mtb wheels, so 32/18 on the mtb wheels and 36/14 on the road wheels. Meant I could run different wheels without any (significant) change in the chain length and no tensioner needed. As long as total teeth front and rear add up to same number should work.
oh man, there is (to me) the most beautiful symmetry in this. I like it. Even if it means my ratios are slightly out. I'm such a fussy bugger that i'd rather run a half link and have no tensioner than a normal chain with a quick link.

my SSCX has a 34:19 for off road duties. Sheldon Brown here we come..

more to follow, i'm at work and about to be told off for internet usage
Image Image
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

My last SS was a Singular Rooster and I ran a full dingle 32/36 on the front and 20/16 on the back because I had a tedious 10 mile flat commute to where I rode it most so ran it as 36-16 to get over there which was perfect on the bigger 29+ wheels and then switched to 32-20 for the loop round the trails.

My current SS in build I intend to do similar, but use a fast rolling 29er tyre like a Nano 2.1 or Fasttrack 2.1 and use the same wheels whether just doing a road or off road ride.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

If you're still interested, I found my old Alfine tensioner in my spares box. Let me know if it's of any use to you.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

fascinating - I can run a 32x18 which is very close to a 34x19 for off road and then a 34x16 for the road.

Thank you for that brilliant idea wriggles, I'm definitely going to think about that for ages :D
Image Image
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

BobCatMax wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 4:31 pm fascinating - I can run a 32x18 which is very close to a 34x19 for off road and then a 34x16 for the road.

Thank you for that brilliant idea wriggles, I'm definitely going to think about that for ages :D
The sum of the teeth count of front and rear need to be the same to avoid changing the chain length. 34 x 19 = 53 teeth which will need a longer chain than 34 x 16 = 50 teeth.
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

Ah, I think my excited typing has lost a little between brain and fingers

32x18 = 50 for off road (32x18=1.78 ratio vs current setup of 34x19=1.79 ratio)
And
34x16 = 50 for on road.
Image Image
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

:-bd
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

Ah, I always forget that I'm an idiot..

Compact chainset so ratios would be 34x19 and 36x17. Still, very doable and very interesting.

@scotroutes - thank you, I think running a half link SS chain puts me out of the running for the alfine tensioner. Very much appreciated though

@BBNorm - that Paul's is very lovely, and very out of my budget!
Image Image
BobCatMax

Post by BobCatMax »

I have done quite a bit of pondering on this in the quiet hours..

650b reared it's head as a potential for the off road stuff and keep the 700s for road duties.

With that on my mind, I asked about locally and an old acquaintance has very kindly lent me some with spesh 2.0 tyres on it. To say I am hopelessly won over by this transformation is an understatement. The fag paper clearance on the stays needs some consideration (I think i might look at some Conti X-kings in 2.0 as they seem to be taller than the average). I might end up with some 40ish semi-slicks on the 700s as it would be rude not to do bridlepaths/fire roads now and again.

Gearing thoughts are currently 34x19 off road and 36x17 on. This may change by another +/- 2 (38x15)once I get some time to sort out cogs etc.

Thank you again wriggles. I will try to get a pic up over the weekend
Image Image