Quick question! egg beaters

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Quick question! egg beaters

Post by Mike »

Right, i need some new pedals and been considering the egg beaters.. it says they are compatible with shimano spds?? is this the case :smile: and how do they feel under the foot as theres not much to them
ScotRoutes

Re: Quick question! egg beaters

Post by ScotRoutes »

Mike wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 1:18 pm Right, i need some new pedals and been considering the egg beaters.. it says they are compatible with shimano spds?? is this the case :smile: and how do they feel under the foot as theres not much to them
They need their own cleats - NOT Shimano ones.

Work well with stiff-soled "XC" style shoes. I prefer Candys - similar mechanism but have a wee platform that can help spread the load on less-stiff shoes.

I think I've a pair of Eggbeaters (new/unused) in my spares box. If you'd like them, let me know. They won't be the latest model but might give you an idea whether or not you like them.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

As with Scotroutes, I prefer the candy over the egg beater.

You’ll get loads of reports of the bearing dieing really quickly but these were the old sets, they’ve improved them over the last couple of years. Still won’t last as long as Shimano but a nice pedal nevertheless*

*three of my bikes have them on
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

If you're looking for a change from Shimano I can recommend Look Xtrack Race. They are compatible with Shimano cleats as well. If you're feeling flush they even do a carbon/titanium version :smile: Mine are just the normal composite.

I switched from XTR as the Looks don't have the shaped edge that hurts when it hits you in the leg when pushing and also don't get sharpened up on rocks like the ally XTRs, which then cuts your leg when it hits you in the calf :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Mike

Post by Mike »

not sure why i want to move away from shimano just fancy trying something else :lol:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There's certainly a different engagement action with CB pedals. It's more of a "stomp" and less focussed on trying to engage front of the cleat before putting the weight on the heel (though, TBF, if you've been using SPDs for a while you probably do this subconciously). I'll hae a look in the spares pile later and let you know if I've found them.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

TIME have a lateral float [ you fooot can still move, side to side] whilst clipped into the pedal and two different engaments angles

Not used shimano since my first pair[ 90's] but found they hurt my knees
Dearer than SHimano though - I seem to get about 10 years out of them - the commuter got about 25,000 miles and then i replaced the bearings
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Mike
I was a big fan of Eggbeaters: very light, very good mud clearance, easy to clip in and it’s four possibilities of clipping in (my Time Atac it’s two).

Had them on about 3 bikes.

Then one evening on the way to a BAM, and going past some nervous cows with calves, spinning like buggery to get past, the left hand Eggbeater just.... fell off !

I picked it up and held it on with my foot...with difficulty.

They did replace free of charge.

Then on the Moors 100, 11 miles in, a bad grinding sound and yes, it came off.... spoilt my ride, tho at the cafe 2 miles later (where they did bike hire)I got some very old flat pedals (and binned the Eggbeaters)...

And I remember on one of my Highland Trail attempts when I got as far as Kinlochewe (saddle sores, shoulder problems, Achilles’ tendon, and old injury recurring), having had to cycle back from Inverness to FA, then caught a train from Fort Bill, another rider got on, a Czech rider, whose Eggbeater had fallen off !

When it happens your ride is over.

I have totally given up on Eggbeaters.

I have Time Atac, very light, (probably expensive) but hopefully will last a long time !
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Found them. They've been used only a couple of times. PM me an address if you want them. They are the cheaper version but will likely let you know whether or not you like the idea.