Glencoe/Kinlochleven to Fort William

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AndyTheBikeGuy

Glencoe/Kinlochleven to Fort William

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Evening all,

I'm staying in Glencoe at the weekend with a couple of friends who are pretty fit but aren't super experienced riders but would like to get a ride in. They're fine on gravel and singletrack but I'd like to avoid anything with too much techy stuff if possible.

What's the Old Military Road from Kinlochleven to Fort William like? Is it under snow at the moment? Beginner friendly on a hardtail?

If anyone wanted to do it only one way, can you get a bus from one place to the other in either direction with a bike?

Cheers,

Andy
ScotRoutes

Re: Glencoe/Kinlochleven to Fort William

Post by ScotRoutes »

That's the West Highland Way. Other than the steep bit out of Kinlochleven (which you can avoid by going up the road to Mamore Lodge) it is all very straightforward.

No idea of snow levels on the west coast. We have snow lying here in Aviemore so it's not impossible but less likely.

I'd check with the bus service provider. Sometimes you can get lucky and a driver will let you on but I've never been happy to rely on it. Best bet would be to get a bus at the start and ride back.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Oh - an easier ride would be down NCN78 Pleasant lunch to be had at Duror or Portnacroish and some great sea views.
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

It might be easier getting the train to Fort William then ride back. You'd need to drive to Bridge of Orchy I think though. The train usually has 6 spaces at the back for bikes but you might need to book.
AndyTheBikeGuy

Post by AndyTheBikeGuy »

Thanks both, I'll see what the team wants to do.

Cheers,

Andy