In Reverse

Re: Wildcamping spots - the 8 best.

Post by In Reverse »

Maybe everyone needs a nice can of Blue Bear

Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Is it panda time?
Aye probably but I would first like to thank everyone for their input - always interesting.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Dave Barter wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 12:48 pm Is it panda time?
You bastard you beat me to it :((

PS: I in no way think you're a bastard but the line works best with the expletive.

,,, and I would have simply gone for PANDA

PANDA

PANDA

PANDA

PANDA

PANDA

PANDA

PANDA

PANDA
Boab

Post by Boab »

Panda time...? Is this a similar thing to the invocation of Hitler killing a Usenet thread...?
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Panda time...?
A panda will make an appearance from time to time as a reminder for everyone to play nice.
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:27 pm
Panda time...?
A panda will make an appearance from time to time as a reminder for everyone to play nice.
But please do not let the appearance of the panda kill the debate.
Robust discussion putting forward various viewpoints can be had without personalising responses to those offering a differing opinion.

I can remember once reading a very heated on-line disagreement between two people that were actually saying much the same thing but were each reading each others' text with different emphasis and inflection! Crazy :lol:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
ton

Post by ton »

can I just add, that Blue Bear stuff tastes more like Frosty Jack than red bull. hic...…... :lol:
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:27 pm
Panda time...?
Noted.

My two pence worth, for what that's worth...

As has already been stated, it's one of those situations where you want people to experience these places, but in a sustainable way. If 10,000 people have read that article and all rush to Glen Feshie for a spot of camping on the same day, there's going to be issues. Just look at the beach from The Beach; people genuinely go there thinking they're going to be on their own and get a bit of a shock when it's standing room only as 2,999 other people also turned up.

The problem, I have with articles like that, is that those eight places wont be the best places if those 10,000 people suddenly turn up. Yes, as has been pointed out, these areas are quite large, but if people are using social meedja to scope them out, then they might all head to similar photogenic spots for their morning selfies. Just like the motocross riders on my local byways, they have the right to be there, even if you wish they didn't. They could be more considerate and not use them when they're wet and muddy, but then maybe they're out challenging themselves in tough conditions, a bit like what some of "us" get up to occasionally. Shirley people getting outside and camping ocassionally, is better than them being sedentary. Maybe an article like that and a night out will be the start of something bigger and better.

Unfortunately, people are people, and that covers a wide range of opinions and viewpoints; not all of them wrong. Where there are people, there's also damage to the landscape, rubbish, and all that other stuff. I'm sure those articles wouldn't be quite as clickbaity, if they also came with a massive how to behave section at the end.

It's complicated, and there's no easy answer. 🤷‍♂️
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Driving home tonight I pull up behind a new T-Roc VW, looks quite nice and must have cost a fair amount too.

Just as the cars pulls onto the roundabout, a (McDonald’s?) sauce packet is thrown out of the drivers windows, maybe it was an accident or something?!

Following the car for the next 500m or so, I see something else thrown out. Something small so I can’t see it. Hmmm

Then a can is thrown from the car, looks like an energy drink :shock: and then before the driver pulls off the road, a burger box is thrown out from the passenger side ~X(

You have a car, use it as a bin until you get home or keep the bag the food in and use that until it can get binned. Not hard. I’m not even going to start on driving and eating...

Fucking fuming, so I’ve taken the ref down....
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Fucking fuming, so I’ve taken the ref down....
Don't blame you Simon.

I don't quite know what happened to society and when it became okay to throw rubbish on the floor. Gets rght on my t1ts as I'm sure people are aware - especially those I see littering, they soon become very aware of that fact.
summittoppler

Post by summittoppler »

I see my back garden of the Carneddau is up on the list. Personally I couldnt give two hoots that it made the list. People already wild camp up there and tbh the area is so vast you'd have trouble bumping into any more willing to give it a go.
After all, we are not the first one's to wild camp.
It will be interesting to see if the Red Bull adrenaline junkies can chill out and enjoy the views from up there though.....
BAM: 2014, 2018 & ......
2024 Bikepacking nights: 4

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/summittoppler/

YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/user/jefbricks/videos
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

especially those I see littering, they soon become very aware of that fact.
OMG I hate littering. Some peeps think it's their right to do whateverthefucktheywant. They simply don't care. I blame the parents.

Those of you familiar with my work will know that, while a rather large unit, I am something of a softie. Mostly. I once had a actual real school yard punch up in the street with a bloke in a car I was walking past who chucked his McDonald's rubbish out the window in front of me. All I did was pick it up and put in a the bin that was about 10 feet from his car. He jumped out and gave me a whack in the back of the head. Poor him.

As you were.
I'm just going outside ...
RIP

Post by RIP »

In the rubbish-out-of-car-window situation I've been known to pick the item up and gently plop it back into the motor, with a "scuse me I think you dropped something" along with a concerned-you've-lost-it look on my face. They're confused for long enough for me to leg it smartly. I'm gonna get belted one day but then again they've got to get out first....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

The technology exists to print the car registration number all over the packaging of drive through customers orders, thus making it easy to identify who's thrown their rubbish out of the car.

Perhaps Red Bull will do an 8 Best Hedgerows Full Of Fast Food Packaging? :roll:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

:wink:
RIP wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:21 pm In the rubbish-out-of-car-window situation I've been known to pick the item up and gently plop it back into the motor, with a "scuse me I think you dropped something" along with a concerned-you've-lost-it look on my face. They're confused for long enough for me to leg it smartly. I'm gonna get belted one day but then again they've got to get out first....
I once did something similar to a pair of walkers who accidentally hung their dog crap in a bush :-bd
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

RIP wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 7:21 pm In the rubbish-out-of-car-window situation I've been known to pick the item up and gently plop it back into the motor, with a "scuse me I think you dropped something" along with a concerned-you've-lost-it look on my face. They're confused for long enough for me to leg it smartly. I'm gonna get belted one day but then again they've got to get out first....
:lol: I did that once in Bradford near a takeway (near the street where my inLaws just happen to live). The two young lads were a bit confused but as soon as they came round they just threw it straight back out... :sad:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

BigdummySteve wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:09 pm I once did something similar to a pair of walkers who accidentally hung their dog crap in a bush
We had that to, rarely but it wasn't nice to see plastic bags hanging in the trees. Dog owners would say that they come back for it... funny how it stopped after 2 years of nagging. It's along a single track in front of our house.

Then there's bikepackers in the Puna de Atacama. One would think travellers in such a remote place take care.
One would be wrong.
Some camp spots are strategical (water, wind cover) and thankfully my shelter doesn't need wind protection.
It often took me half an hour to clean/dig away/burn up the mess of those staying at those spots before me. Sh¡t, loo paper and plastic rubbish welcomed me as soon as I rode along the Ruta de los Seismiles, which I rode by coincidence (had made my plans to ride there before the Ruta became a thing) and soon spent the nights away from obvious camp spots as they displayed what I came to leave behind. Same mess on the high volcanoes camps. When was the last time you cleaned other folks' mess at 5900 m?
It wont harm anything out there except for other hikers. But this doesn't render it okay.

The stories of the PCT hurt hearing too. My girlfriend and I nearly hiked it in 2014, thankfully we chose more adventurous and unmarked long distance hikes in Canada and Alaska.

People are sh¡t. Red Bull, Bikepacking.com, PCTA or Bearbones wont change the behaviour of some, but a few will become less sh¡t by
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:19 am education and trying to convey a message.
We can all help educate. Show the truth on your social media if you use it. Forget your oh so nice to look at content and show what a mess you come across on your trips.
faustus

Post by faustus »

The thing that most irks me about these articles is how the term 'wilderness' is so mis-used in these articles. I'm not being a semantic pedant, I just don't like how the term is applied lazily to describe places that have few people living in them, and/or to enhance a slightly over-enthusiastic tone. If the people writing those words thought on it a little while, then they'd realise it doesn't describe the places they speak of and (perhaps unwittingly?), shows their lack of understanding of the UK landscape, and why it is like it is.

Anyway, that's probably another debate, it's just a petty bugbear of mine! :geek:
Scud

Post by Scud »

I think there is a real Catch-22 here, whilst that Red Bull article is a poorly written list by someone who has not been there, they sponsor and feed money into so many sports that would never receive TV time or even exist without them, downhill mountain biking, snowboarding etc.

The other is, that they appeal to the 17-25 year old type market and we as a mostly middle-age group of men will argue that they are being force-fed a list of places to go and making "the outdoors" easy for them.

BUT, we're probably also the same group of people that then complain that youngsters spend all day staring at phones and don't get exercise.

The right approach for me, is that rather than dismissing the Yoof as all being litter louts and needing Red Bull articles to get them out the door, is for us to be the guides/teachers/ instructors that aid them getting off the sofa, that pass on knowledge and that make sure that when they do camp or mountain bike, that they respect there surroundings and they understand that they're in a special place.
Cyclepeasant

Post by Cyclepeasant »

Hear! Hear!
Insanity over vanity