Suggest a bladed spoke holder please

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Suggest a bladed spoke holder please

Post by redefined_cycles »

Basically I'm building some wheels with Sapim xray spokes.. Only cos thats the spokes I managed to salvage from another wheel I decomissioned at some point.

I've got some shimano bladed spoke holders but quite frankly, they're crap (very small gripping area so marks the spoke as well as needing lots of tautness to keep it from twisting). Anyone got any thoughts or experiences in this dept please??

I'm thinking either the dt swiss tool (but which looks like it works better with the dt swiss spoke key) or the ice toolz jobby...
voodoo_simon

Re: Suggest a bladed spoke holder please

Post by voodoo_simon »

You mean something to hold the blade whilst you true the wheel?

A lot of the magic wheels used to come with them, so someone may have a spare one going (probably a roadie) or your LBS May have a stash of them in their workshop
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

I've got this one which is an interesting design, but in use is fairly good (thread it over a small finger and it almost gives you a slotted knuckle to push onto the spoke, easy to fit in between spokes also)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-AERO-WID ... B00NU1RHHK

I'm also amazed you've managed to find a rim and hub combo that'll take existing spokes!
redefined_cycles

voodoo_simon wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:41 pm You mean something to hold the blade whilst you true the wheel?

A lot of the magic wheels used to come with them, so someone may have a spare one going (probably a roadie) or your LBS May have a stash of them in their workshop
Yup. Sorry Simon, thats what I meant. Something to grip spoke whilst its tensioned to trueness :grin:
redefined_cycles

AlexGold wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:52 pm I've got this one which is an interesting design, but in use is fairly good (thread it over a small finger and it almost gives you a slotted knuckle to push onto the spoke, easy to fit in between spokes also)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-AERO-WID ... B00NU1RHHK

I'm also amazed you've managed to find a rim and hub combo that'll take existing spokes!
Well... ok. I was 1mm off but whats that in between 'I dont wanna spend on spokes' ers... oncr its coming to tension I might have to back off on the drive side a notch...

Thanks for that. Yes, anything that can save my fingers would be an advantage whilst its holding everything tight
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I was 1mm off
PFFT beginer - I once did one rim with 14 mm nipples on the non drive side to compensate for their shortness- I am sure they were getting towards 5mm and we are real real stugggle to get the last few to engage with the nipple - Still using ther wheel but it was the last time I reused spokes
AlexGold

Post by AlexGold »

I was going to say, 1mm is within the error margin of the calculator!

At least you haven't done what I did and trusted the seller of a rim to give the correct ERD, buy the spokes before measuring it yourself and....'you can guess the rest', as Bryan Ferry would say...
redefined_cycles

Lazarus wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:58 pm
I was 1mm off
PFFT beginer - I once did one rim with 14 mm nipples on the non drive side to compensate for their shortness- I am sure they were getting towards 5mm and we are real real stugggle to get the last few to engage with the nipple - Still using ther wheel but it was the last time I reused spokes
Agreed... and I'd never have reused em (especially since the nipple takes away all the aero effect gained from the bladed spokes :lol: ) had it not been that it appears prices of spokes have gone up (exponentially??)...

I have a large collection of spokes taken out from decommissioned wheels. Mainly mtb so I got luvkywith these being within 2mm of the desired length...

Worth mentioning aswell that I only reuse the good stuff :smile: (Ritchey were by far the best spokes I came across and reused em :-bd )...

Anyway, this key seems to bw the one that I'm inclined to. Esepcially since it has a 6cm section thats holding the spoke taut... thoughts if ypu wish>>
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DT-Swiss-blade ... C4SHJ9KEDN
redefined_cycles

AlexGold wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 6:04 pm I was going to say, 1mm is within the error margin of the calculator!

At least you haven't done what I did and trusted the seller of a rim to give the correct ERD, buy the spokes before measuring it yourself and....'you can guess the rest', as Bryan Ferry would say...
On this note. I just want to mention the rims... HED Belgium. I did read that they were built perfectly round and my measurements of ERD confirmed that. No matter where I took the meaaurement at, exactly same figures. Blooming amazing (and even though I got em at a bargain)... I might be tempted to pay half price for em in future from what I've seen so far...
redefined_cycles

Thanks all for the suggestions. AlexGold, I almost got the one you suggested and for the record its actually a more cost friendly version of Sapims own tool for them spokes...

Ended up going with this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333521376489 DTswiss version though as it'll give better leverage holding the spokes (he hopes to himself) as its a longer shaft for gripping. Which will help against one of the spokes at least which I almost twisted when decomissioning the wheel originally that its come off.... Not too much twist but its still there. Might need to buy the DT tool though as I think thwy might work better together but shall see how I get on with my standard Spokeys...

Ta :-bd