Lightweight (semi?) geodesic tents

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ScotRoutes

Lightweight (semi?) geodesic tents

Post by ScotRoutes »

So, say you were going somewhere a bit windy and wanted a "2 season" lightweight tent that would stand up a bit better than, say, a Lunar Solo to Atlantic winds. What's the hot poop? Extra points for cheapness :-)
fatbikephil

Re: Lightweight (semi?) geodesic tents

Post by fatbikephil »

Just seen this - interesting and I suspect pretty weather proof..... https://www.vango.co.uk/gb/camping-equi ... rogen.html or.....
This is F10's latest version of my trusty Nitro 200 - totally bombproof and roomy to boot.... https://www.vango.co.uk/gb/camping-equi ... -ul-2.html
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Our MSR Elixir 2 shrugged off some pretty nasty winds and rain on the west Cornish coast. It's not particularly light but it's roomy and good value for what you get. With all 10 stakes in the ground, it's not blowing away either. Our's was second hand off eBay for £120 - had only been used twice. It's the sort of thing you keep for decades and drag along when the weather's really dodgy.
I'm just going outside ...
Al

Post by Al »

I’ve had a tera nova voyager I’ve had for years and it has survived truly biblical mountain weather when I was doing lots of wild camping for mY ML. Not cheap though.
When I bought kit for the d of e group I used to to run I looked for something similar to replace the cupboard full of crap vango festival tents the previous person had bought.
Went with wild country trisar which is tera novas cheaper range. The design is pretty much identical to my old voyager. They proved to me very durable (nothing is as hard on tents as ham-fisted teenagers) and fairly light compared to the horror shows the kids had to carry previously but probably not light by bike packing standards.

Alpkit ordos looks pretty light and might fit the bill. Not used on myself so can’t vouch for how bombproof (but they are semi geodesic).
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Have a look at the Sierra designs Convert tent on SP Colin. Rated as '4 season' semi-freestanding, not heavy and on SP £170.

May the bridges you burn light your way
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

ScotRoutes wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:02 pm What's the hot poop? Extra points for cheapness :-)
Locus Gear. I found mid tents can cope with utterly powerful winds, exceeding speeds where I can barely stay upright.
We've used the Khufu Sil in many different places and various conditions and it was only the zipper that let us down after about 150 nights. I fixed it with a 5C zipper and believe they all now come with 5C rather than 3C.

From my experience I only see geodesic tents being the better option when mountaineering (steep, complex terrain, large snow loads) and that doesn't include all mountaineering trips.

As for mids, also a geodesic will be only as good as its stake out points, when things go upside down. In very strong winds pulled stakes or torn guy lines will immediately wreak havoc with any tent. It's only in winds up to perhaps 50 km/h and complex terrain where you can truly benefit of the self standing structure.

On all of my trips to Iceland and other windy places in northern, tree free and mountainous Scandinavia I found mids to be just perfect. Use common sense when choosing the spot - this said, my girlfriend and I often go for exposed spots, because we like a good view.

Another weak spot like the stakes, is, obviously, the pole. When on a bike trip I use my old stripped down Fizan Compact hiking stick. I'd not go much lighter than that when windy nights are to be expected.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Thanks for the ideas folks. Still pondering. I have a Scarp 1 already. Not the lightest but maybe I can compromise.

I also saw the F10 Helium UL 1. Arch poles and TBS might offer stability enough. Still lightweight. And in my price range.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I also saw the F10 Helium UL 1. Arch poles and TBS might offer stability enough. Still lightweight. And in my price range.
I had one Colin, it was okay but still only a transverse single pole tent at the end of the day.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yeah. So is the Scarp (without cross poles) but there are degrees of stability - I might be able to compromise. :|

(back to Google...)
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:30 pm Yeah. So is the Scarp (without cross poles) but there are degrees of stability - I might be able to compromise. :|

(back to Google...)
Ha, Google brought me here…

Did you ever get an answer?

I’m wandering between the Robens Arrowhead and a Trekkerteent Phreeranger and loads in between.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Piemonster wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:36 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 2:30 pm Yeah. So is the Scarp (without cross poles) but there are degrees of stability - I might be able to compromise. :|

(back to Google...)
Ha, Google brought me here…

Did you ever get an answer?

I’m wandering between the Robens Arrowhead and a Trekkerteent Phreeranger and loads in between.
Something, something, Spring 2020.....

Nah, I didn't get any further. For a one-off trip I reckoned the Scarp 1 (with poles) would suffice. Heavier than ideal but avoiding the purchase of another tent. I even considered my old Spacepacker. Still single pole of course but it has a slightly better profile than the Lunar Solo.

Phreeranger would have to be the DCF version, yeah?
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

LOL no

It simply wouldn’t get used enough or looked after well enough.

If I want to go properly light, it’s a Borah Bivvy and maybe the Cuben Tarp if I feel like a bit of luxury.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Gian mentions 'a mid' tent. Is that a particular manufacturer or is it a type of structure (sorry for my lack of knowledge). Is a tarptent Notch classed as a mid...

https://www.tarptent.com/product/notch/

Regards the Ordos/Alpkit (Alpshit even - sorry) Colin. I had the Jaran (not the Ordos but they seem a similar design) in 2 person flavour. Used for a good 2 years but mainly for car camping/biking. Worked really well and only reason for selling was the inner pitch first thingy!
redefined_cycles

Semi geo... lol. I got it soon after I wrote it. Sorry everyone...
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

redefined_cycles wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:24 pm Gian mentions 'a mid' tent. Is that a particular manufacturer or is it a type of structure (sorry for my lack of knowledge).
It's an abreviation of pyramid, so a single pole in the middle type tent like a Lunar Solo Shaf.
Fwiw I spent a very sleepless night in my Hexpeak outer supported by a trekking pole half way up a Scottish mountain in very strong winds while hillwalking. It flexed a lot but stayed put thanks to the decent pegs I'd used. One of my compatriots was in a semi geodesic tent and suffered a broken pole the same night. I've also spent a night in my Gatewood above an exposed west coast beach in Kintyre and again it stayed put during a wild night. I agree that the pegs and pole are the limiting factor and I usually carry some vee pegs with me for that reason. Since I started bikepacking I've relied almost exclusively on Stu's carbon poles in my various shelters and they've also been rock solid.
redefined_cycles

Thanks Jurassic :-bd makes sense now...
The Cumbrian

Post by The Cumbrian »

My winter tent is a Big Sky International Chinook, a 2 person tent with two doors and two porches weighing under 2kg. They do smaller (and lighter) versions and a slightly less heavy duty two pole versions. They aren't cheap though, and can be quite hard to get hold of in the UK these days.
“I want to see the wild country again before I die, and the Mountains..."
Bilbo Baggins.