'Prepping' What's that about?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Squirrelking

Re: 'Prepping' What's that about?

Post by Squirrelking »

htrider wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:48 pm
Alpinum wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:52 pm I'm a prepper when I go on holidays. All the self-/unsupporting stuff, food in pouches, redundancy etc. makes me feel a bit like those folks I think of being strange.
Sometimes I even bring an ice axe along to fend of zombies. Obviously.
htrider wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:50 pm means, for me, acquiring a large amount of spirits and drinking them all in one go
For me it means to visit remoteness. I'm always ready to go.
Fair comment. Head off to somewhere remote, with a large amount of spirits.
What? We're doing Peppers, not Most Haunted!

Someone started a thread over in STW about the next big bike trend, I suggested a survival bike. I reckon that with some S&S couplers, frame tube based water tanks and suitable binding points to strap everything securely together into a backpack arrangement it's doable. Add in a holster for a Crosman pumper on the front fork bosses and I reckon you would have a proper money spinner for the US Market.

It's a shame firearms and hunting laws are what they are here, I reckon Bikepacking and some light hunting (thinking rabbits or pigeons at most) could work together.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Without opening the gun debate, I'll agree to an extent, but I do think we've got it largely right. When the mood strikes me to go kill something to eat, I tend to go fishing and a few of us on here have combined bp'ing with fly rods.
I'm just going outside ...
jameso

Post by jameso »

Quite a market in US for E-fat bikes with gun / bow attachments. Trailers and racks, used for pulling shot deer out of the woods etc. QBP made a range of them at one point - maybe still do. I suppose it's an ideal use for E-MTBs.
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Very disappointed in this thread......

Prepping...... I was it was going to be a thread of ....

Bike packing faffing .... (Preparing for a ride).

I love a good faff ... Now there's a thread....

Carry on prepping
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

RIP wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:10 pm Shotguns don't work very well against viruses (virii?) unless you've got very teeny weeny ammo, and viruses are probably what'll do for us long before the zombie killer apocalypse gets a chance...
The shotgun is for the inevitable collapse of society when a virus hits.

I’m not a prepper at all, but some of the less outlandish stuff makes sense. Keep extra dried or tinned food in the house in case our food supply is disrupted, a few camping gas canisters etc. in case of power loss. I watched Cobra on Sky One recently and it was quite interesting how they’d seen the quick fall of society when the power went off.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

It's a shame firearms and hunting laws are what they are here
i dont think many of us want the freedoms of the US and the subsequent death rate that go with it. I barely trust my fellow citizens with cars never mind firearms.

As for prepping I just dont see the point as i dont fear what they fear and I assume [ months of dried food aside] I could create one in about 30 mins from what I have.I doubt 30 mins is the difference between life and death - and anyway post apocalypse i am breaking in to a shop [probably alpkit]and geting better bikes and equpiment. :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Surely silent weapons that don't require re-supply of what I think will be hard to find ammunition would be the way forward? On occasion I have taken a war-bow down the Spar when we've had a bit of snow forecast just to make sure I get some milk.
May the bridges you burn light your way
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:10 pm Surely silent weapons that don't require re-supply of what I think will be hard to find ammunition would be the way forward? On occasion I have taken a war-bow down the Spar when we've had a bit of snow forecast just to make sure I get some milk.
Hey just out of interest, are there any legal issues in carrying a bow and arrows in public? Is it considered by the old bill to be a dangerous weapon or such? I could image that if I walked down a street with one where I live, there would be unmarked cars with so19' or the MOD police's finest Ponting guns at me within seconds.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Hey just out of interest, are there any legal issues in carrying a bow and arrows in public? Is it considered by the old bill to be a dangerous weapon or such? I could image that if I walked down a street with one where I live, there would be unmarked cars with so19' or the MOD police's finest Ponting guns at me within seconds.
A bow isn't considered a weapon Duncan but arrows are. If you were seen carrying an unstrung longbow then most folk would probably just see a stick. A recurve and more so a compound would likely get the armed response team out :wink:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:54 pm
A bow isn't considered a weapon Duncan but arrows are. If you were seen carrying an unstrung longbow then most folk would probably just see a stick. A recurve and more so a compound would likely get the armed response team out :wink:
Probably a good thing as you say a lot of folk aren't safe in cars, and there are already too many knives on the street.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Here’s a handy article I found a couple years back (and started a stw thread on... :oops: )
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... r-disaster
Give the dirt a little room.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Here’s a handy article I found a couple years back (and started a stw thread on... :oops: )
I don't think this lad's done much prepping - looks like his stove's upside down or if not it soon will be and he hasn't spotted the other bloke who's snook up and is about to steal his child ... p1ss poor prepping really :wink:

metalheart

Post by metalheart »

I believe the title of that particular photo is: Revenge of the ginger step child...
Give the dirt a little room.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 7:10 pm p1ss poor prepping really
Poor in putting the prepping into use.
Kind of reminds me of the the UL hiking community. On spread sheets and in theory it all looks really good, but there's a significant difference to practice. Suddenly the rucksack is twice as heavy and the tent can't be errected etc. leading to an early abort of the trip.
Squirrelking

Post by Squirrelking »

i dont think many of us want the freedoms of the US and the subsequent death rate that go with it. I barely trust my fellow citizens with cars never mind firearms.
I wouldn't ever go that far, I just feel that (at least up here where everything is licensed) small game should be fair game. By that I mean anything wild and capable of being safely and humanely dispatched with an air rifle (so rabbits and pigeons pretty much). Anything bigger would require a hunting licence/permit. No change to firearms laws, just what constitutes armed trespass* and poaching. Just idle thoughts. Not intending to open a can of worms.

*I say just, it sounds a lot but all it means is permitting what I describe above.
faustus

Post by faustus »

One of the advantages of being in the UK in the event of an apocalypse (if you survive) will be the relative lack of other people who have hoarded guns ready to shoot other people. The whole prepping thing always strikes me as a bit short-sighted, as it doesn't seem to spend much energy on thinking about skills you'll need in the new/devastated post-apocalypse world. Like how to live off the land effectively. Fine to save some food to help in a transition to a new way of living, but relying on technology (like a gun and ammo) isn't a good choice. Bikes wouldn't be much use after a while either unless you could make solid tyres from willow withy. Hoard tools and sharpening stones, and yes, bow and arrow a good choice :-bd
Boab

Post by Boab »

faustus wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 11:30 am The whole prepping thing always strikes me as a bit short-sighted, as it doesn't seem to spend much energy on thinking about skills you'll need in the new/devastated post-apocalypse world. Like how to live off the land effectively.
Most preppers probably haven't read Earth Abides though...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was in the US just before New Year 2000. The build up to the impending doom was quite scary to watch - rocket launcher anyone? There was a stark difference to folk here buying an extra pint of milk and a sliced white.
jameso

Post by jameso »

The whole prepping thing always strikes me as a bit short-sighted, as it doesn't seem to spend much energy on thinking about skills you'll need in the new/devastated post-apocalypse world. Like how to live off the land effectively.
Ironically if more of us did live off the land now to some extent more than we do, the risk of one part/cause of a apocalyptic survival situation could be reduced.

Part of the problem post-disaster is likely to be the fact you can't live off the land. Environmental cause eg species/food chain collapse, or lack of sunlight etc. ... urgh. Dark and grey doom. 'The Road'... or probably worse, 'Threads' - I didn't even start watching that one based on descriptions from others online :grin:
faustus

Post by faustus »

jameso wrote: Thu Feb 20, 2020 12:11 pm
The whole prepping thing always strikes me as a bit short-sighted, as it doesn't seem to spend much energy on thinking about skills you'll need in the new/devastated post-apocalypse world. Like how to live off the land effectively.
Ironically if more of us did live off the land now to some extent more than we do, the risk of one part/cause of a apocalyptic survival situation could be reduced.

Part of the problem post-disaster is likely to be the fact you can't live off the land. Environmental cause eg species/food chain collapse, or lack of sunlight etc. ... urgh. Dark and grey doom. 'The Road'... or probably worse, 'Threads' - I didn't even start watching that one based on descriptions from others online :grin:
True, but i guess it depends if the ability to live off the land has gone for good or is shorter lived. That's when some stored food is useful, but I guess i mean a mix of skills and food is needed - not just waiting for the lights to come on again. 'Threads' and 'The War game' (1966 Nuclear 'documentary') are equally harrowing but worth watching. Those are situations where survival is probably the worst option!
jameso

Post by jameso »

worth watching
I think I'll give it / them a miss :smile: The science side of those things is fascinating, the test footage oddly mesmerising, but having learned a little about the experience of the Japanese in the 40s ... was all a bit much for me.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Who’s laughing at the preppers now?! :lol:

Just bought some toilet roll from the shops, 1 packet of two rolls, felt like a right weirdo buying it and had the need to explain that we were about to run out :oops:
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

Is it just me, but after seeing Mad Max as a kid I had a feeling the world was one day going to end just like this. I've been preppin my whole life but don't see an Audi estate being any compromise to The Road Warriors V8 Interceptor with blower hanging out the bonnet, come to think of it I don't think I own leather pants either. Gotta dash I've got some more preppin to do :wink:
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Leerowe76 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:00 amcome to think of it I don't think I own leather pants either :wink:
I’d imagine that’s one item of clothing you’d absolutely know if you owned, unless of course you have a steady stream of careless leather clad gentleman through the house :lol:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark