'Prepping' What's that about?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

'Prepping' What's that about?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I read something this morning written by a 'prepper' but not once did he explain what he was preparing for. I'm assuming civil unrest, massive natural disaster, plague, famine etc? How long do you prepare for? Is every day a real disappontment when nowt happens and will having a tiny grapling hook on the end of a 3m length of paracord really mean the difference between staying alive or becoming a zombie's tea?

I'm intrigued but a little confused by it all.
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Re: 'Prepping' What's that about?

Post by voodoo_simon »

I’m sure Louis Theroux has done programmes on these types of people. Be worth finding as they are ‘interesting’. Seems to be more of a USA thing but I’m sure it will spread over the pond

Freaks if you ask me*

*There again, I’m the sort of person who doesn’t buy milk until the carton is empty... :lol:
Loki

Post by Loki »

it is huge in the US, got to love that old cold war paranoia, from my understanding they are prepping for the end of the world scenarios or natural disasters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivalism
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Aren't you prep'd for a zombie invasion then?
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

dlovett wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:21 pm Aren't you prep'd for a zombie invasion then?
Maybe Stu has subconsciously by moving to the middle
of Wales. They’ll never find him!
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

My wife used to watch Doomsday Preppers - There aren't enough of these :roll: to describe it.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

voodoo_simon wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:24 pm
dlovett wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:21 pm Aren't you prep'd for a zombie invasion then?
Maybe Stu has subconsciously by moving to the middle
of Wales. They’ll never find him!
They would find him by following the scent of smelly cyclists (in May.)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aren't you prep'd for a zombie invasion then?
Course I am, that's why I can make a 50lb bow from a broom handle :-bd
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

I worked with someone 40 years ago who emigrated to New Zealand. Nothing odd in that itself but the reason he chose New Zealand as opposed to any other country is that if America and Russia started hurling nukes at each other (the cold war was still a very real thing then) then New Zealand due to its placement and world weather patterns meant it would be one of the last places to receive nuclear fallout carried by the wind. He was going to make himself a bunker too.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’m concentrating on prepping to escape the nursing home. That’s the threat that worries me most
jameso

Post by jameso »

Great series on Netflix about preppers. Proper bunkers full of preserved food and fencing and gun turrets. People talking about their 'bug-out plans' and escape routes from the (post nuke/zombie/mad-max'ed) city, while not really seeing the day to day city around them as any kind of apocalyptic hell at all. Bonkers.

Do you think they'd be pissed off if we were getting wiped out by an airborne virus after prepping for something more gun-totin' and dramatic? :lol:

And it all made me think of 'The Road' and the a few days after reading it when I sort of wished I hadn't. ...Happy Friday!

I worked with someone 40 years ago who emigrated to New Zealand.
A number of disaster capitalists and crazy-rich leech types have got bolt-hole places there.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I think 'prepping ' in the Uk is more bushcraft and survival, which I'm
Sure most boners can relate too :grin:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:00 pm How long do you prepare for?

I'm intrigued but a little confused by it all.
According to my mate :wink: it goes like this:
You always have your EDC (every day carry) penknife and other whatnots. This gets you to your ‘Get me home bag’ aka 24hr bag. As it says this has enough kit to get you home when shtf as they say. Keep this in your car (aka bug out vehicle) or under your desk at work. At home you decide whether to crack open your 72hr stay put kit and dive into the under garden bunker or grab your ‘bug out bag’ and head for the hills under the cover of post apocalyptic darkness with your tin foil hat pulled down proper!
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Boab

Post by Boab »

And there was me thinking it was all about the spreadsheet containing details of all the bike bits you plan to buy...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Business continuity planning with more guns.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Ray Young wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:43 pm I worked with someone 40 years ago who emigrated to New Zealand. Nothing odd in that itself but the reason he chose New Zealand as opposed to any other country is that if America and Russia started hurling nukes at each other (the cold war was still a very real thing then) then New Zealand due to its placement and world weather patterns meant it would be one of the last places to receive nuclear fallout carried by the wind. He was going to make himself a bunker too.
Tell him to read 'On the Beach' by Nevil Chute....

Prepping for WW3 / Zombie apocalypse / Mutated Corona virus annihilating the population means, for me, acquiring a large amount of spirits and drinking them all in one go
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I'm a prepper when I go on holidays. All the self-/unsupporting stuff, food in pouches, redundancy etc. makes me feel a bit like those folks I think of being strange.
Sometimes I even bring an ice axe along to fend of zombies. Obviously.
htrider wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:50 pm means, for me, acquiring a large amount of spirits and drinking them all in one go
For me it means to visit remoteness. I'm always ready to go.
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

Right ... so ... I've got a year's supply of food stored where I can get to it as I need it when the time comes. Mostly its dehy stuff, but there are lots of canned veg and fruits. We won't go hungry. Water is the issue, but given the climate change mess, I've just found some high volume purifiers and a couple of 500l tanks that a mate and I buried. We won't go thirsty.

Fresh meat. This is so much easier for my prepper mates in the US who have everything they need to hunt . My firearms licence is restricted at the mo as its early days, but next year I'm good for something that will knock down a badger or muntjac. And if it all goes off before then, my lad's .22 target air rifle will keep us in rabbits and squirrels for as long as we need.

Just saying.....
I'm just going outside ...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yeah but have you got a tiny grapling hook thing? That does seem to be the key, oh and a laser pen type thing too ... maybe dazzle the badgers with that?
RIP

Post by RIP »

Shotguns don't work very well against viruses (virii?) unless you've got very teeny weeny ammo, and viruses are probably what'll do for us long before the zombie killer apocalypse gets a chance....

Thinking about it, your best weapon might be a bit of soap or a hankie not a shooter.

Note I am not a qualified medical practitioner so could be talking complete and utter bollocks :???: .

My view is I want to be at Ground Zero when whatever goes off goes off (as mentioned earlier, accompanied solely by an enormous supply of intoxicants rather than weapons) because when one finally resurfaces from one's well-supplied bunker what's left will absolutely not be worth having survived for.

And on that note....... It's Cheery Friday!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!
Last edited by RIP on Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
RIP

Post by RIP »

PS. I see only Stu and me are on the forum at the moment. It's Friday Night (or Freyder Neet as Sid The Sexist would call it - he'd be "oot on the tap" probably). It either shows a massive flaw or a massive soundness in our characters.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

MuddyPete

Post by MuddyPete »

Badger-dazzling.....badger-dazzler....

Hmmm....

"We'll be fine...I'll just whip out my badger-dazzler. That'll scare 'em off" :shock:.
May you always have tail wind.
RIP

Post by RIP »

TWIN badger-dazzlers eh.. that's bound to do the trick :wink:

Meanwhile I'm taking refuge in Sid's boozer. Well it is Freyder Neet man... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcnN8-sJ8Hk X_X .

fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Alpinum wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:52 pm I'm a prepper when I go on holidays. All the self-/unsupporting stuff, food in pouches, redundancy etc. makes me feel a bit like those folks I think of being strange.
Sometimes I even bring an ice axe along to fend of zombies. Obviously.
htrider wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:50 pm means, for me, acquiring a large amount of spirits and drinking them all in one go
For me it means to visit remoteness. I'm always ready to go.
Fair comment. Head off to somewhere remote, with a large amount of spirits.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

New sticker needed: Meths Drinkin’ Badger Dazzler