Kit to get started with?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Robert Hamer

Kit to get started with?

Post by Robert Hamer »

OK I like the idea of bikepacking and I can understand the sense of not carrying everything on the person.

I've got enough lightweight camping gear to start, so it's carrying it.

planning to get a buggybag frame bag, looks good and keeping the weight low and centred must be right.

up front is it an Alpkit Gourdon type bag strapped to the bags?

at the back, ? what seatpack?

thanks
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Kit to get started with?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You've sooo many options ;)

A normal dry bag on the bars will work fine, no need to use a Gourdon. Gelert do some small straps that work well ... although they're a little bright.

For the rear, you've anything from a second simple dry bag to a full blown seatpack, much will depend on budget. I'm not sure how far away Wildcat are from having theirs finished and into production ... hopefully Ian will come along and shed some light.

Straps - http://www.tauntonleisure.com/gelert-lu ... quot/p4274

Bag for bars - http://www.alpkit.com/shop/cart.php?tar ... ory_id=295 - I use a 13l on the bars, others will use something else ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Yup, similar thoughts from here. I use a 15l bag on the bars, think that's about the perfect size to balance clearance from the front tyre and space around your brake levers etc.

Back end is trickier, the Ortlieb and Altura waterproof saddle bags come well recommended but aren't cheap. The simplest method is a small dry bag strapped to the seatpost but that can get annoying if it clips your legs repeatedly. Personally, I have a rear rack on my singlespeed and just strap a 20l bag to that as I don't have a frame pack (yet...). My saddle pack is then just a tiny Topeak one for tube, multitool and a few small bits.

Hope that helps
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
Ian

Post by Ian »

I'm not sure how far away Wildcat are from having theirs finished and into production ... hopefully Ian will come along and shed some light.
Building work at home has slowed development/ production somewhat. Ideally, in time for the BB200 (Mid October).

Wildcat Mountain Lion harness has its straps conveniently placed to feed through the loops on 5 and 8 litre Alpkit Airlok Xtra stuff sacks, but will work with pretty much any dry bag up to ~10 litre size*.

Ian

*and I do have a very impressive collection of dry bags actually.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

5L drybag on bars with sleeping bag, down vest, dry evening clothing, pillow, midge headnet.
Framebag with snack foods, bivvybag, tarp or tent, sleeping mat, fuel.
Topeak Wedge Drybag 1.5L Seatpack with bike spares and first aid kit.
Camelbak with water, dehydrated meals and cooking kit.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

5L drybag on bars with sleeping bag, down vest, dry evening clothing, pillow, midge headnet.
You're just showing off now ;)
May the bridges you burn light your way
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

I'll admit 'dry evening clothing' refers only to HH base layers, fleece beanie and a pair of merino socks! Strictly spring/summer only ;)

Although I'm pretty sure I could squeeze in my lightweight walking trousers if need be.