Bar Ends, on the Inside

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mart

Bar Ends, on the Inside

Post by Mart »

Anyone run any? a changing of handlebar means I might try some, anyone got a preference.. which ones do you like?
Any other alternatives? thumb grips? or just don't bother?

What do you do?
2924 miles per Gallon
ScotRoutes

Re: Bar Ends, on the Inside

Post by ScotRoutes »

I have TOGS on a couple of bikes. I like them.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

I have them on one of my bikes. Some cheap, light ski bend types, taped with roadie bar tape to cover the clamp and the bars either side of the clamp to rest my wrists on.

Very comfy and useful, particularly on long gentle climbs and when there's a headwind.
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

What about them ergo grips ? cant comment on them myself :lol: but reviews look ok from a comfort point, thought i'd throw that in that's all :-bd
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
techno

Post by techno »

Yeah. Cheap stubbies with narrow clamps on Richey kyotes and previously on my on-one OG bars.
Taped like this: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16283&p=203879#p203879

Am now also running togs too:
IMG_11022020_200528_(1000_x_375_pixel).jpg
(42.91 KiB) Downloaded 1576 times
Great for the extra hand positions, I used to suffer pretty badly with numbness during and after long rides. With these setups it's FAR bettererer.
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

Not Togs but a bar end inboard is what I mean, though I suppose I could use an accessory bar, as they hinge to fit. I suppose a short spur like a shortened bar end is what I meant.[/quote]
Maybe these would do: https://www.sq-lab.com/shop/en/New-prod ... html[quote][/quote]

Courtesy of techno mail.
techno

Post by techno »

macinblack wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:11 pm Not Togs but a bar end inboard is what I mean, though I suppose I could use an accessory bar, as they hinge to fit. I suppose a short spur like a shortened bar end is what I meant.
Courtesy of techno mail
Fixed that.
Looks like they have some more in the pipeline:
https://www.sq-lab.com/en/products/innerbarends/
To be clear, I've no personal experience of the sq labs jobbies. I'm too cheap to stump up for a set of those #yorkshire
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I have some standard Giant ones presently. They work ace and lovely. If I could I would change em for carbon ones only so the cold weather wouldn't affect em (affecting my hands) as much...

If you did find some nice economy carbon ones then please do share...
ootini

Post by ootini »

Yep. Running cheap, nasty ones in board on my OnOne Ogs but planning to change for bigger, ski style ones plus tape soon.
techno

Post by techno »

redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:36 pm I have some standard Giant ones presently. They work ace and lovely. If I could I would change em for carbon ones only so the cold weather wouldn't affect em (affecting my hands) as much...

There's a few different ones on eBay around £10-£15 from UK and China shaf.
Not tried em, but they're there. ;)
macinblack

Post by macinblack »

The sq-labs above are quite comfortable. I use them with a pair of cut down ergons and they are just the right height and thickness.
redefined_cycles

techno mail wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:18 pm
redefined_cycles wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 9:36 pm I have some standard Giant ones presently. They work ace and lovely. If I could I would change em for carbon ones only so the cold weather wouldn't affect em (affecting my hands) as much...

Haha... chinese carbon bar ends... I'd worry they'd break off taking me with em straight of the side of some mountain :lol: although I'm probably just overly cautious :smile:
techno

Post by techno »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:06 am

Haha... chinese carbon bar ends... I'd worry they'd break off taking me with em straight of the side of some mountain :lol: although I'm probably just overly cautious :smile:
I'd give it a 90% certainty that any affordable carbon bar ends are made in China/Taiwan.
That's where Stan came from shaf :wink:
redefined_cycles

techno mail wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:22 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:06 am

I'd give it a 90% certainty that any affordable carbon bar ends are made in China/Taiwan.
That's where Stan came from shaf :wink:
Lol... I know. But pretty certain the quality control is maybe at least 20 percent betterer on the Stan and other named brands...

On that note though, Hambini (Aero engjneer who swears alot but tells it how it is in the bike world) recently commented about Canyon being tripe too *(according to his carbon ct scanning partner or something as well as quality control issues in the BB dept). He explained the reasoning for the deterioration in quality (control) being that they wanna make more money so outsource the regular framesets to China but then its too expensive to have em shipped back to Germany to have em QCd properly so...

Anyway, I've made an offer on an ebay carbon barends :grin:

*my other frame that I bought with my hardearned (as opposed to ebay lowballling which I've always done) dosh is a Canyon Ultimate. Naturally I was a bit gutted but it did make sense why my Dura Ace (xtr) BB didn't spin freely and constantly with the DA cranks installed. I imagine the carbon BB hole isn't as round as we'd hope... BS :o :wink: is it not (or as we say in Yorkshire: innit)
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Stridsland_Journal was getting a batch of bendy bars made with extensions (barends) fitted at the forward bend bit.
Last edited by wriggles on Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
techno

Post by techno »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:53 am
Lol... I know. But pretty certain the quality control is maybe at least 20 percent betterer on the Stan and other named brands...

On that note though, Hambini (Aero engjneer who swears alot but tells it how it is in the bike world) recently commented about Canyon being tripe too *(according to his carbon ct scanning partner or something as well as quality control issues in the BB dept). He explained the reasoning for the deterioration in quality (control) being that they wanna make more money so outsource the regular framesets to China but then its too expensive to have em shipped back to Germany to have em QCd properly so...

*my other frame that I bought with my hardearned (as opposed to ebay lowballling which I've always done) dosh is a Canyon Ultimate. Naturally I was a bit gutted but it did make sense why my Dura Ace (xtr) BB didn't spin freely and constantly with the DA cranks installed. I imagine the carbon BB hole isn't as round as we'd hope... BS :o :wink: is it not (or as we say in Yorkshire: innit)
I'm subscribed to hambini's channel, I think it was on your recommendation actually :-bd
good to see cycling topics assessed from a purely engineering standpoint.

from his (extensive) experience it seems QC is fucking terrible with a lot of cycling brands, premium or not.
techno

Post by techno »

wriggles wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:23 am Stridesland Journal
who's that?
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Sorry Stridsland_journal

https://stridsland.com/

Edit: he calls it the "Suicide Knob" handlebar. Not in production yet

https://stridsland.com/portfolio/suicid ... handlebar/
techno

Post by techno »

wriggles wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:35 am Sorry Stridsland_journal

https://stridsland.com/

Edit: he calls it the "Suicide Knob" handlebar. Not in production yet

thanks, google failed me.
also, that's a fantastic name
redefined_cycles

techno mail wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:29 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:53 am

I'm subscribed to hambini's channel, I think it was on your recommendation actually :-bd
good to see cycling topics assessed from a purely engineering standpoint.

from his (extensive) experience it seems QC is fucking terrible with a lot of cycling brands, premium or not.
Yup.. Andrew (testing if I've remembered name correctly)indeed its like gross misconduct. In his latest vid he does explain why it is: cos generally the (whatever dynamics) engineers that aren't good enough to get into the main moneymaking engineerin markets (F1 he quotes but not limited to) end up at cyclings doorstep...

He also speaks highly of Hunt (and cites the reason for their goodness as being the lady in charge of their QC is ex-Boeing)...

One last thing about Hambini (and probably why i have so much respect for him - but not his mouth) is that when i kept having issues with my 'sell yer kidney' PowerTap hub he diagnosed it to the cheap - they should be ashamed - bearings. Got some NTN or similar off of him and problem solved.... But then the electricals started playing up (torque calibration) and after asking him and getting told he's not in the ele trical engineering dept I just got rid*

*Another indication of shoddy engineering... Powertap: shameful...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:06 am Haha... chinese carbon bar ends... I'd worry they'd break off taking me with em straight of the side of some mountain :lol: although I'm probably just overly cautious :smile:
I'd be more worried about the bars you are clamping them to.
Boab

Post by Boab »

wriggles wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:35 am Edit: he calls it the "Suicide Knob" handlebar. Not in production yet

So, pretty much, a Moloko copy without the cross member then...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
redefined_cycles

ScotRoutes wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:47 am
redefined_cycles wrote: Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:06 am Haha... chinese carbon bar ends... I'd worry they'd break off taking me with em straight of the side of some mountain :lol: although I'm probably just overly cautious :smile:
I'd be more worried about the bars you are clamping them to.
Nope... I dont think (hopefully) there's any reason to worry about these... they're nukeproofs with something akin to a crash warranty. As far as I remember the warranty makws them seems solid as anything non-carbon and certainly the thickness of the carbon seems to stand by that claim... :grin:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The layup on carbon bars is tuned to allow for flex in some places but be strong enough to resist clamping forces where brakes and gears are fitted. You certainly can't judge the thickness of the carbon throughout the length of the bar by what you see at the grip ends.

I'm not saying "don't" (I occasionally fit TT bars on a carbon handlebar) just suggesting that you are aware of the relative risks. Tightening a clamp enough to resist any motion but not enough to damage the bar is the challenge.
redefined_cycles

[
Tightening a clamp enough to resist any motion but not enough to damage the bar is the challenge.
Yup, totally agreed and I hate it. I usually use finger pressure and then try to rotate to gauge the torque. Indeed it is a pain and when I had the Stooge Alu bars briefly it was a sigh of relief when putting the bar ends on em...

Very good point though Colin (but if you'd felt the NP bars you'd see what I mean about strength.. not light by any means)