Really long rides and writing / reflection

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Really long rides and writing / reflection

Post by jameso »

RE Jay Petervary's interview, which I'm going to spend a while in the garage tinkering with bikes and listening to now.

One thought was that I heard a lot more about two riders bickering/debating/discussing/whatever during this year's TDR than anything else. Yet the only thing I read of any interest about a big chunk of what (imo) these rides should be for - personal growth or understanding our place in the world maybe - was from Alexandera Houchin.
https://theradavist.com/2019/09/ogichid ... vide-race/
There's an unintentional ambassador, a rider to look up to.

Not sure if I've read anything as personal or inspiring as that since Matt Lee's TDR writing on bikepacking.net. Mike Curiak is also a good writer. I've probably missed some/ a lot since I tend to focus on a few races rather than the scene as a whole. Writing like that can stray into navel-gazing, sometimes the introspection or depth of experience does come out as more than that, some people do express it well. The only times bike riding produces writing anything like climbing literature perhaps.

Any more that I should read or that most of us might have missed?
redefined_cycles

Re: Really long rides and writing / reflection

Post by redefined_cycles »

James.. I find James Haydens writing and vid posts/seminars really insightful with very little ego coming through. Very thoughful lad it seems and appears very humble and I learn loads from his writes/vids...

Take for example when he almost got mugged at the SilkRoad race. He outran them back down the hill but the thought(s) going through his head were, "must ensure noone else gets mugged like this"...

He got the coppers involved but didn't tell everyone going through that checkpoint what his issue was in case he demoralised them mentally...
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

There's a lot to admire in Alexandra Houchin to be fair
faustus

Post by faustus »

I like Alexandera's thoughts too, though I sometimes find her use of the 3rd person viewpoint difficult.

Another good lengthy bit of writing about the TD is Dave Barter's, there's a thread with links if you search. Also Greg May did a really good account of the TD, a blog page a day.
techno

Post by techno »

Another interesting a article about AH here, she is definitely an interesting and inspiring cyclist: https://www.bicycling.co.za/travel/alex ... -underdog/

Edit, just finished reading the article and thought I'd post this as qualification of my statement:

“I’m torn,” Houchin says, about the dichotomy between her love for racing and the time and effort she needs to put into training, versus her bigger-picture goal of finishing college and earning her dentistry degree.

“I could be a lot better bike racer,” she says. “But it’s pretty important to me that I make an impact in Indian country by giving back to my community.”

"....she gamely fields questions about her eating habits on trail (Snickers, beef jerky, hunks of cheese, Power-Ade mixed with Mountain Dew, and more average standard gas station fare); what she packs (almost nothing); and how she paces herself over ultra distances (slow and steady is her mantra).

I could be a lot better bike racer. But it’s pretty important to me that I make an impact in Indian country by giving back to my community.”

“I’m competitive, but I also like to stop and smell the roses,” she tells the audience. “I get to the top of a mountain pass and I’m like, ‘Oh my god, guys! Let’s just hang out and eat beef jerky and some chips.’ Really, in a 4 500 kilometre race you don’t have to be rushing, rushing. If you climb 1 600m to get to this mountain pass, why wouldn’t you want to bask in how amazing it is?”
Last edited by techno on Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I find James Haydens writing and vid posts/seminars really insightful with very little ego coming through.
I'd not read a lot from him actually, only the Italy Divide article with him and Sofiane Sehili on dotwatcher. Impressed me how he jumped straight into MTB on the HT550 - had thought of him as a roadie time-trialler (sorry :grin: a fast one though) but seeing someone have a go at a discipline they're not experienced at is great - clearly a capable rider and no pot-hunter.

I need to find time to read Dave's TD words over a brew. Do enjoy his writing.
Yet the only thing I read of any interest about a..
Sorry Dave, I'd clearly forgotten to include your writing when posting / thinking of online TD'19 content :oops:
AndrewT

Post by AndrewT »

One of my favourite podcasts from last year was Alexandera being interviewed on the Bikes or Death podcast. Very illuminating, and I would agree that she is a superb inspirational character.

https://bikesordeath.com/ep-16-alexandra-houchin/
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Thanks for all the Alexandera articles, etc., I’ve enjoyed them.

I’m firmly in the she looks like she is having the most fun camp. Inspirational indeed. On many levels. I don’t really go in for ‘heroes’ but for me she’s one for sure.

All the rest just look like right miserable bastards... :lol:

Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

metalheart wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:23 pm Tonight’s post is brought to you thanks to the power of Fugazi.
Any track(s) in particular?
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

Any track(s) in particular?
13 Songs (waiting room & suggestion especially....).
My time is like water down a drain...
Give the dirt a little room.
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Nice. Your mention of them prompted me to look them up again. I was both delighted and slightly surprised to find them on Spotify.