Full frame bag users, water ?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

FLV

Full frame bag users, water ?

Post by FLV »

Hi,

Quite fancy getting a full frame bag, question is, where do you carry your water for multi day trips?

I know of the back route of course, and regularly use one in the winter (cleaner drinking spout)

My frame does have the under the down tube mount for one bottle if required.

Any top tips?
Shewie

Re: Full frame bag users, water ?

Post by Shewie »

I use Restrap stem bags, although I only carry 1L. and fill up/filter along the way
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The frame bag for my Stooge has straps built into the top to hold a bottle but the twin TT make that possible, so not much help. However, I have mounted a bottle to the front of the seatpost before and that worked well.

I'm not a great fan of bar / stem mounted bags as I always seem to catch my knees on them but they are probably the most obvious and widely used solution.
May the bridges you burn light your way
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

I shove the bladder (3L) inside the framebag Dave and then route it to yhe stem where I've got a magnet on both hose and stem and both sit happily ever after. Thats what seems to work for Carig David too (I mean Jamea Hayden sorry :grin: )...

Nice saddle btw
techno

Post by techno »

redefined_cycles wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:30 am I shove the bladder (3L) inside the framebag Dave and then route it to yhe stem where I've got a magnet on both hose and stem and both sit happily ever after.
this is what i do too.
magnetic hose clip: https://www.ospreyeurope.com/shop/gb_en ... magnet-kit (available much cheaper elsewhere)

if you need a longer hose insert:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/plumbing ... 4294431036
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/c/plumbing ... 4294966734
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

In the UK at least it's rare to need more than a day's water but I can see it being a problem in hotter countries.

Does seem a shame to get a frame bag then use most of its capacity for water :roll: Without the frame bag how much water are you carrying at the moment? A couple of water bottles - that's 1.5L at most. I've a custom full frame bag for my Spearfish and I shaped it so that I still have a water bottle (500ml) mounted and just take a filter and fill up as required.

Without knowing your precise requirements it's a little difficult to suggest more.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm with Bob here as i can never see the point in placing a bladder inside a full frame bag. Makes more sense in my mind to use a half bag (in reality there's often not that much difference in capacity) and keep a bottle on the bike.

If I was wanting to put a bladder in a bag, I'd have something custom made with a bladder pocket on one side that also has a surgeons opening.
FLV

Post by FLV »

Thats what I have at the moment. A half bag made to fit around 2 bottles. It works well, but when its not overly hot I sometimes use a hydration pack.

I was considering if I could minimise seat and bar rolls by adding more kit to the frame bag but thinking of clever solutions for water. The most I ever carry is 3 bottles, that was on the Tuscany trail, generally I take 1 or 2 max.
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

I have tried the bladder in full framebag on a tour in hotter climes and I didnt get on with it as I couldn't monitor how much water I had left so ended carrying too much or running out. Whereas with a bottle you see how much is left whenever take a sip.

It was also a bit more faffy than just filling a bottle from a tap on the side of the road. In the UK I just use a bottle in a cage or stem cell.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

My frame has a bottle mount under neath ttube so i use that and secure it with a strap as its my only bottle

I would then use a 500 ml in stem bag if i wanted to carry more
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:14 pm I'm with Bob here as i can never see the point in placing a bladder inside a full frame bag. Makes more sense in my mind to use a half bag (in reality there's often not that much difference in capacity) and keep a bottle on the bike.

If I was wanting to put a bladder in a bag, I'd have something custom made with a bladder pocket on one side that also has a surgeons opening.
I was thibking similar to this before I tried it. With careful manipulation and the correct bladder (floppy camelbak as opposed to rigid Osprey) its amazing how I've managed to get 3 litres to sit in the low 2/3 or less of the inner triangle. That then left me around 5L or 6L of usable storage space above it.

Works better if you've got a framebag that has 2 pockets eith the zipper ay the bottom being designed smart enough to allow the bladder to get shoved straight into it. I then have a collapsible water bottle to fill it up if needed.

Noy sayin its the smartest solution but it does work suprisingly well...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yeah but I'd never want to carry 2kg of additional weight Shaf :wink:
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

wriggles wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 12:36 pm I have tried the bladder in full framebag on a tour in hotter climes and I didnt get on with it as I couldn't monitor how much water I had left so ended carrying too much or running out. Whereas with a bottle you see how much is left whenever take a sip.

It was also a bit more faffy than just filling a bottle from a tap on the side of the road. In the UK I just use a bottle in a cage or stem cell.
This^^

I did have a method for avoiding faff at filling time. I have a direct connector that pairs a Katadyn filter to a hydration pack tube so could pump in the water without removing the bag in places where I could get my bike next to the water source.

Ultimately for most of the time for UK use you don’t need to carry more than 700ml-1L at a time if you carry a small filter eg. MSR Trailshot. It’s rare to be very far away from surface water in any of our upland areas.
On lowland or road trips I usually carry more as it’s not so convenient to fill up and surface water is often of poorer quality.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Another vote for bottles rather than bladder in frame bag. Bladder is a nightmare to get in/out and route the tube. Half the time it got constricted. Finally, if you puncture it. Nightmare.

I was using mine with 3 x 500 ml bottles no problem
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:29 pm Yeah but I'd never want to carry 2kg of additional weight Shaf :wink:
:lol: I've veen hanging around/reading too much of/with Karl(s)... anyway, you know what I mean and yes, carrying 2 or 3kg of water is a bit unusual in sunny England (and Scotland and Wales) :grin:
FLV

Post by FLV »

If I'm using bottle(s) which looks like the way many folk go. I would likely just fit side cages and wrap a frame bag around it / them I think.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

In my one experience of having to carry larger amounts of water at points during a trip, I used a full frame bag for luggage, so I had a bottle cage on the top of the top tube with a 700ml bottle (which I'd drink out of), a Topeak XL cage under the down tube, and Gorilla cages on the fork. Each of the latter could take a 1.5l/2l bottle bought and refilled on the way to expland/reduce capacity as necessary. Part of the reason for doing that was limited space in luggage when flying for large volume containers.
composite

Post by composite »

Bladder in the frame bag. Its quite flexible that way. If you want all the frame bag space 'back' you can use your bladder in a hydration pack. If you want half of it back just half fill the bladder.

My frame bag had a hose slot and my bladder a quick-release thing so it was easy to take the bag out without having to unroute the hose.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I've started using a couple of decathlon 500ml soft bottles. Stick them where ever and roll them up as you use them, they then take up no space when empty.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I first tried using a hose from the bladder in the frame bag but gave up, difficult to drink from and impossible to keep a check on how much was left (and the Camelbak QR's I was using became difficult to operate). I kept the water in the frame bag but used it to top up a bottle in a stem cell, easy to drink from and easy to see how much is left.
FLV

Post by FLV »

I decided to go inbetween the two. Ive ordered a frame bag for my new bike, left room for one big, or small, bottle on the frame.
Might try a filter, never used one in all my years!

In italy last year i used 3 bottles and needed them. The Frame has fixings for an under the tube bottle so i can just add a soft bottle or stem bag for that odd occasion.
Scud

Post by Scud »

For me, usually one bottle under the down tube, and have two Stem Cells on bars, XL one can take a 1 litre bottle, and then i have snacks and phone in the second.

I have just ordered a frame bag which takes up most of gap in triangle, but allows 1 litre bottle in seat tube bottle cage. So still gives a good size space.

If you need to carry more water, then fork legs is good place, keeps the weight low and actually bike handled well
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

FLV wrote: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:50 amMight try a filter, never used one in all my years!
I used one (MSR Trailshot) for the first time last month. It worked very well, was little faff, and meant I could do ride out, brew, porridge and ride home with just one bottle. I was pleasantly surprised (as much at my own lack of ineptitude as the actual filter).
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

I use one water bottle (the ones you buy in the supermarket that are destroying the planet, and are unnecessary, what’s up with tap water ? Fluoride ? Boil it.)

As a permanent accessory, see, so I only use one (actually two, because I carry a spare one in my bag, very useful when setting up your 2litre platypus for the night when setting up camp, if you have difficulty filling the platypus )

They only weigh 13 grams (that’s less than half an ounce !)

The one in the frame bag is full when I set off.

I also have a Trailshot all the time and rely on streams to refill the 13 gram bottle...

Where I ride there is ALWAYS water.... ALWAYS ....
Too much of it...
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I run a full frame bag all the time, spares,snacks, pump etc, if it's a short ride
I use a downtube or fork ( anything cage) to carry a bottle, more often than
Not though I use an ex army camelback with the hose over my shoulder, lasts
All day, not sure of the capacity but must be 3L, I drink a lot of water......the
Camelbacks can be bought quite cheaply too, often unused :-bd