Dual use bicycle bits.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mfezela

Dual use bicycle bits.

Post by mfezela »

To lighten the load, I try to make one tool do two or more jobs.

Here's one example.
https://youtu.be/sZnMfeNA1BA
(Other languages and accents are available.)

Any others you'd care to share.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Dual use bicycle bits.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd just save the weight of the bottle and not take it :wink:

I'll sometimes use a laminated map as a groundsheet, waterproof as a tarp door and my favourite, a CTC bike bag as a tarp.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Wheels as tarp poles.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Good idea.

It takes only a bottle cap, two old tubeless valves and a drill to turn a PET bottle usually meant to carry water, into a compressor.

Took a few attempts, to get the tyre pop back into the rim after fixing cuts from the inside as the maxalamis weren't able to completely seal them, during which I got a bad sunburn on my back. I did it naked since my clothing was washed and drying. This takes me to the next multi use:
Only takes a tent with long guy lines and a bike.

During a trip across Iceland last August/September I used a lightweight and easily compressible 28 L rucksack also as a bar bag. We went on hikes, visited hot pots and warm streams with the rucksack when not on the bike. Worked really well.
Following up on this, I made one myself. 280 g, 45 L, giving a perfect shape for a bar bag when compressed by a few strategically sewn in loops and four mini alu biners.

Once not in use on the bike, I only had to release four biners and ready it was to help me get up one or two volcanoes. Here on top of the one in the background of the above photo:

Bikes for poles

Last edited by Alpinum on Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

Sit mat is likely my most multi use item.

Sit mat, insulation for dehydrated meal while it warms, pad to lean on for getting out of tarp/tent/bivvy, Add structure to a bag, waft a fire alight to get it going (below high tide!), keep summer beers cold on the way to campsite.

That's just the ones I can remember! Been genuinely surprised at the usefulness with what I initially though was a luxury item.
slarge

Post by slarge »

mfezela wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:27 pm To lighten the load, I try to make one tool do two or more jobs.
Is it only me that thought this wasn't about bikepacking?

But back on topic, bike to hold tarp up (bars or wheels) instead of a pole
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

No Steve , I nearly said I use old gear cable outers to feed wiring through chassis’s’ glad I didn’t now :roll:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I've got an old cassette broken down into individual sprockets, through the ultrasonic cleaner and then hanging on the christmas tree as decorations. :-bd

That's not really multi use, more 'up-cycling' I think is the on trend word...