Mechanical Hydraulic Brakes...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

In Reverse

Re: Mechanical Hydraulic Brakes...

Post by In Reverse »

I've recently bought a set of the Juin Tech off alexinthepeaks and have used them for a couple of weeks. So far so good - they felt a bit spongy at first but they're very adjustable so after a couple of rides had them biting quite nicely.

No worries with stopping power - I'm 95kg ish and the bikes a big heavy lump (Surly) so not far off 120kg combined.
Squirrelking

Post by Squirrelking »

One thing to note, according to Yokozuna, cracking them open to bleed will actually void the warranty.
Ahm oot.

Apart from that, there is some amount of nonsense being spouted in the opening paragraphs that is hard to see by:
That said, there are a few frustrating drawbacks that accompany full hydraulic brake systems. For one, running cables and moving brakes between bikes is a pain, especially when internal cable routing is involved. Then there is the reliability question—at this point, we’ve heard a couple of horror stories about hydraulic brakes dying in some far-flung place where bleed kits and modern bike shops are essentially nonexistent. Cable-actuated Yokozuna Ultimo brakes are designed to counter these issues with a closed hydraulic system that is completely contained within the caliper.
1) Who actually habitually moves brakes between bikes? I can count in one hand how many times I've had to do it and it almost always involves a race situation where I have gubbed a hose. (I appreciate this one is entirely subjective and your own experiences may differ).

2) Hydraulic brakes can die in inconvenient places, so the solution is a hydraulic brake. That you can't bleed lest you void the warranty. Yeah. Okay.

3) Closed system? When did everyone move on from Hope C2's? Did everyone forget they suffered badly from heat?

Giant Conduct costs the same for a whole system and even V Twins come in under budget if you buy second hand calipers, the benefit of Hope being any idiot can bleed them with minimal tools and a bottle of standard brake fluid. From what I understand these are going to be much lighter which is going to be their actual selling point.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Completely agree with those 3 points, however I wonder whether the target market might not be those coming from a mountain biking background but perhaps venturing down the gravel / adventure path having come from the road world? If so, the 3 points still hold water but the market might buy into it easier. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Al

Post by Al »

The trp hy/rd I just bought off zippy have turned up.
They seem surprisingly heavy. I think I will fit the front one and give it a whirl, but I’m feeling less convinced following this thread.
Might be an opportunity for someone else to try them soon in the classifieds!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

They seem surprisingly heavy
Remember Al, you're not comparing the weight against a normal caliper but an entire brake inc master cylinder and hose.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Al

Post by Al »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:52 am
They seem surprisingly heavy
Remember Al, you're not comparing the weight against a normal caliper but an entire brake inc master cylinder and hose.
True, but I was going to replace a trp spyre, so it’s all extra at the end of the day. Probably won’t notice it once it’s on the bike either way - it was more the alarming heft of the Jiffy bag that came in.
I am now thinking swapping out the rotor to 180mm would be a simpler way to get a bit more power.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

but I’m feeling less convinced following this thread.
How many people who have them have criticised them ? Its mainly people saying why they wont buy them rather than actual user reviews

spyre weight 160g
hy.rd 220g

Note to self you have to many spares and they dont even match
Al

Post by Al »

Wow :shock:
spyre weight 160g
hy.rd 220g

Hadn’t taken the spyres off to compare directly yet, but that’s good to know thanks.