Choices Choices...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

dlovett

Choices Choices...

Post by dlovett »

So For Cabin Fever 2020 in Sweden, I am starting early on what bike do I take.

The Choices are Ali Sonder Camino 650bx47 Byways, Dyno Hub and Carbon Seat post. (What I used last year)
Cove Hummer 26x??? Dyna Hub, Carbon Seatpost. )suitable tyres to be purchased.
Sonder Vir Fortis 26.4 Dyno Hub or 29x2.1 No dyno Hub.

The Camino was great and having the dyno hub mean no power issues for devices or lights. For most of the time it was great, a bit sketchy in a couple of the serious off road sections.

The hummer would, with the correct tyres be better in the off road but slightly worse on the rest. It's a lot lighter than the Camino however.

The Vir Fortis with full fat would handle the off road best and isn't too bad on road stuff. The 29er wheelset is good off road and pretty fast on road but doesn't have a dyno hub. It does make the Vir Fortis a very light bike, but I will have to take more power packs for charging things and charge whenever at basecamp.

Getting a dynohub for the 29er's is out due to cost and swapping the hubs between the wheel sets is somewhere I don't want to really go.

One friend suggested running the vir fortis with 29er rear and the camino's fork and front wheel, but how much that would effect the geometry I don't know.

Another suggestion was to get a 29er for and rebuild the 29er front wheel onto a spare normal width dynamo hub, but how mush as a half decent set of 29er forks these days?

Any suggestions?
In Reverse

Re: Choices Choices...

Post by In Reverse »

Borrow a 29er hub wheel for the week?
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

In Reverse wrote: Mon Feb 03, 2020 2:51 pm Borrow a 29er hub wheel for the week?
I would also need 29er forks as the stock ones are 150 fat width which is why my 29er wheels don't have dynohubs due to the £300 odd quid cost f the said fat dynamo hubs.
faustus

Post by faustus »

What about different tyre choice for the camino, might help with chunkier off road sections? If it's good for 90%+ of the terrain then that's pretty good.

Hummer sounds interesting, what's it like pedalling longer distance, and general comfort?
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

faustus wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:03 pm What about different tyre choice for the camino, might help with chunkier off road sections? If it's good for 90%+ of the terrain then that's pretty good.

Hummer sounds interesting, what's it like pedalling longer distance, and general comfort?
I have thought about that the new wtb ones might be better. I did my first ever ITT a yd200 on the hummer but I guess I need to take it out a bit and see how it goes. But that would also need some new long distance style tyres.