Sleep Systems

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jobro

Re: Sleep Systems

Post by jobro »

I have an Alpkit Solo tent. Its a freestanding set up. I rarely use it as a complete tent, and prefer using the outer only as a "tarp tent" I find this arrangement far more comfortable than a tarp, although it weighs a bit more.
In warmer, more insect filled nights, I pitch the inner only.
This system does require a look at the weather forecast before you set out. So far I've not had the inner up and its rained!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

It wasn't so much the wind over the face, as that didn't bother me in the bird hide with no door. It was the sudden inflation of the sleeping bag hood and noise of the wind on the sleeping bag material, that was off putting.
Sorry, what I meant was that beneath a tarp the wind going over your face is likely and if that causes other things, then they're also likely to still happen.

A bivvy bag may well help prevent the inflating hood / noise though.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Boab

Post by Boab »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:52 pm A bivvy bag may well help prevent the inflating hood / noise though.
For some reason I've been reluctant to use my bivvy bag as well, so have just been using it to protect the base of the mat... 🙄
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I use a thin/lightweight bivvy bag over my sleeping bag/quilt to reduce draughts. It does have a midge-net built in, so works for summer too.

A carefully placed and pitched tarp can almost completely remove any draughts. Mind you, I can't say they bother me much. In fact in many ways it's nicer than being in a tent that completely blocks them. My Lunar Solo has enough ventilation that there is often a wee draught too. This is pretty essential for eliminating condensation. Of course, what is a pleasant draught in March or April can be quite different from a Baltic Nor'Easterly in December or January.

FWIW, I very rarely use neither tarp nor tent. Mostly because I'm rarely certain enough about the weather.