It reads a bit like an advert but ...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

It reads a bit like an advert but ...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

who knows, someone might glean something from it.

https://outdoorsmagic.com/article/best- ... ers-guide/
May the bridges you burn light your way
Lazarus

Re: It reads a bit like an advert but ...

Post by Lazarus »

generally speaking, a bikepacking tent should weigh less than 2.5kg
Yes it really should weigh less than that
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

You can't have a list of bikepacking tents and not even mention the Lunar Solo (or the Deschutes so Stu doesn't feel left out :wink: ), Shirley?
Shewie

Post by Shewie »

I don’t think the condensation fest Laser would be top of my list
RIP

Post by RIP »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:45 pm
generally speaking, a bikepacking tent should weigh less than 2.5kg
Yes it really should weigh less than that
Aye, a curious choice of max weight. Even my ancient very-occasionally-used bombproof Macpac Microlight is only 1.8kg. Wouldn't choose any of them for BP meself.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Squirrelking

Post by Squirrelking »

All that tells me is that if I don't have a few hundred quid to spend on a tent then I may as well not bother. It's talking about the best and I'm sure they are good but it's written for someone who knows nothing ie. the novice.

Amazing that a £70 Phoxx isnt far off some of those in weight terms. Don't get me wrong, I know fine and well there's a lot more to it than that but you only spend one miserable night getting eaten alive by midges and I know where my money would be going if I was just starting out (which, come to think of it, I am).
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Shewie wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:05 pm I don’t think the condensation fest Laser would be top of my list
I’ve never actually slept in a laser but I did own one...for one pitch, pain in the orifice to pitch it went straight back. I’d give a big :-bd to the nordisk telemark, 950g (850 with the carbon option) and super easy to pitch.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

We've the Big Agnes Copper Spur, not the bikepacking version as that was released after we'd made our purchase, and with added footprint it comes to 1500g so that's 750g each when split down.

There's a lot of space in it so on damp nights and mornings you aren't struggling to avoid touching the sides plus it's high enough that I can sit up in it again without touching the roof. There's no way I can do that in the (older) LaserComp which is not that much lighter, I think it's 1200g.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think it's pieces like this that sadden me a little ... although written with good intent, there's some pretty poorly researched advice in there, yet given its provenance there'll be plenty of folk who will consider it gospel. Always seems like a wasted opportunity.

Anyway, it's Saturday so have a good weekend. If you are going out, can I suggest you spend the night beneath an upturned wheelie bin and wear a bread bag on your head to keep the draughts out.

*this post was brought to you by Warburtons.
May the bridges you burn light your way
psling

Post by psling »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:21 am ...can I suggest you spend the night beneath an upturned wheelie bin and wear a bread bag on your head to keep the draughts out.

You're getting in the bin the wrong way round - you could save on the weight of the bread bag then (sorry Warburton's)
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

you can get cheap and decent - though i doubt longevity is brilliant - tents from aliepress etc -my first one was less than £50 and still well under a kg-I have used it perhaps 20 times and certainly waterproof.

IMHO its air beds and bags where you dont really have cheap decent alternatives* - unless its summer weather as they are all a bit spendy to get llight and warm.

In terms of weight i have the sierra sweet suite 3 man and that is about 1.6 for a three man -spendy minethough i think it was £150 in a sale- very very well made tents , goor and vestibule at each side and peel back roof for star gazing.

* there may be in down i dont do down
Leerowe76

Post by Leerowe76 »

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32695338570.html

Bought last year for 76 english pounds first use was a pissing down with a rain solo mission onto the Horseshoe pass in N.Wales and the second use was the Capital Trail for 3 nights use in high winds and some rain, reasonable build quality tbh for the money and simple set up.
Allen "EscapeGoat" can vouch for the wind and rain on the Capital Trail :lol: , the Lanshan looks decent too which looks to be a copy of the sixmoondesigns lunar solo.
Living On Dreams & Custard Creams
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

psling wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:37 am
Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:21 am ...can I suggest you spend the night beneath an upturned wheelie bin and wear a bread bag on your head to keep the draughts out.

You're getting in the bin the wrong way round - you could save on the weight of the bread bag then (sorry Warburton's)
I took a bin bag and a bread bin by mistake. It was a bit of a squeeze but at least I had something for breakfast.
RIP

Post by RIP »

:lol:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Piemonster

Post by Piemonster »

Just for an alternative view on Lasers

No condensation for me and no real hassle putting it up. Photon Elite version so generally fair weather use Which might make a difference.