And the best place I ever slept was ....

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Boab

Re: And the best place I ever slept was ....

Post by Boab »

Ooooo, just thought of another one. Spent a weekend rock climbing around Reiff on the West coast of Scotland. Camped the night at the local campsite by the beach, cracking sunset, good times.

Edit: Woke up this morning and realised that I'd totally forgotten the best one ever. That's the North face of Donguz-Orun, in the Russian Caucasus, the border with Georgia is the other side of the summit. Mt Elbrus, Europe highest mountain was behind me, we failed to climb it a few days later.

Last edited by Boab on Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
mfezela

Post by mfezela »

Salar de Coipasa, Bolivia.
A planned single night became three. Such solitude and serenity.
Would have stayed longer but ran out of drinking water.
SdU1.jpg
(82.4 KiB) Downloaded 1091 times
Robster

Post by Robster »

darbeze wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:07 am I love the deciduous woods immediately to the west of Rhayader. I have slept there a couple of times over the years and it has always been very peaceful. There is something about it that feels "soft" and welcoming. I quite often try and include it when joining the dots on BB events.

Si
If it’s the place we stayed in under the oaks then, yep, great spot.
Isn’t it near llangurig by the Wye.

Perfect spot though.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Reg. :-bd that was pretty damn good too, though i was on the floor that night.
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

Llyn Tegid, Bala. My first attempt at cycle camping. Never done it before. It was a shake-down ride for the C2C from Whitehaven to Tynemouth in 2014

Before the mist had cleared...Image

Check out the set-up. The trailer and kit was 25 kilos. :o
Image[/url]
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
mfezela

Post by mfezela »

25kg. Hah. I laugh at 25kg.

All my worldly goods (at that time). If you have to ask how heavy, you're not strong enough to tow it ;-)

With enough food for 5 days but excluding water it regularly exceeded 40kg. After Bolivia and a BoB wheel failure I added a rear rack for convenience.

SdU2.jpg
(62.11 KiB) Downloaded 979 times
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

This is a place that's pretty special to me - I have slept there, but not when this photo was taken. It was one of my earliest bivvy experiences and I slept pretty badly and had some pretty vivid dreams about being chased by a guy who we met on the hill just before sunset :-bd So it's one of my "best" places, and a place in which I've slept, but not at the same time.

I agree that it doesn't necessarily have to be scenic to be a memorable bivvy, but it happens that some of my best were (and conveniently, I have some nice pictures of them to show you).

This is from my southern California trip last year: looking across the wide desert of the Coachella valley, which I'd crossed that day having descended from Joshua Tree. The wind had packed in and it was a properly clear still night, and felt very peaceful. The view across the city as it got dark was like something from a movie.

Also, this spot overlooking Lake Taupo in New Zealand in 2016 was pretty special. The thread that ties these together isn't necessarily, despite appearances, an exotic location or a beautiful view, but a feeling at the time that everything was good, that I was safe and had found a great spot, spiced with that uncertain anticipation of the following day (perhaps not coincidental that these two were both in the middle of trips of about a week, rather than overnighters).

darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Robster wrote: Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:16 pm
darbeze wrote: Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:07 am I love the deciduous woods immediately to the west of Rhayader. I have slept there a couple of times over the years and it has always been very peaceful. There is something about it that feels "soft" and welcoming. I quite often try and include it when joining the dots on BB events.

Si
If it’s the place we stayed in under the oaks then, yep, great spot.
Isn’t it near llangurig by the Wye.

Perfect spot though.
Yes, under the oaks... Just to the left of Rhayader.... In the morning we the rode down to the road, turned right and passed the Elan Valley visitor centre and then on up past Claerwen Dam, along the marvellous gravel path, and then up and over the Monks Trod...
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

This one was pretty special. Col de Braus, TNR 2018. Good night had up there. James handing the continentals the Coq wine was mint...
col_de_braus.jpg
(116.77 KiB) Downloaded 871 times
Greetz

S.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Enough already with the scenic stuff Scott - MaM and meself are relying on you to join us lowering the tone of proceedings with tales of church doorways, supermarket carparks, toilet blocks etc :grin: .
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

RIP wrote: Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:22 pm Enough already with the scenic stuff Scott - MaM and meself are relying on you to join us lowering the tone of proceedings with tales of church doorways, supermarket carparks, toilet blocks etc :grin: .
If memory serves well he’s got a peacher of him and mike inside the old Norman church by the clee
RIP

Post by RIP »

Aye that's the one!
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

@Reg - not sure there is evidence of the Vinardio toilet block sleeping escapade from past TNR ride. Maybe James or Ernesto has some snaps? There is most definetly evidence somewhere of churches, chapels and birdhides in England and Wales being used and abused. Vyrnwy birdhides FTW.

Greetz

S.